Removing temporary red dye to blonde with no damage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gorgeouslocks21

Reaction score
hi everyone.
I have put two level 1 temporary hair colours on my hair in colour red and pink over 2/3 months.
I went to a salon about getting the red out and going back to a blonde colour and she advised to bleach all the red out? (Over time).
I was thinking wouldn't this be really damaging as I thought putting bleach on my red hair would just make it go a lighter red/pink and that I'd end up having a lot of bleach applications to get it all out and then go blonde? Is there any other way around it?
Thanks

Exactly what brand of colour did you use and was it applied to already bleached porous hair?

If it's stained the cuticle, bleaching it won't help and will lead to further damage. Did she offer to do a strand test?

Exactly what brand of colour did you use and was it applied to already bleached porous hair?

If it's stained the cuticle, bleaching it won't help and will lead to further damage. Did she offer to do a strand test?

I used schwarzkopf and crazy colour (both level 1 temporary). My ends were bleached a year ago and are brighter then my mid lengths so I'm assuming they are more porous.

Yeah I did think that, she just said she would do cleanses/ bleach bath once every two weeks with olaplex and see how much it lifts.

She didn't offer to do a strand test no, I just don't want to start the process and then it takes a lot of applications of bleach to get the red/pink out and then it's really damaged by the time I even start going blonde.

If i get my colours done professionally is the less chance of it staining the cuticles?
Thankyou

True temporary colours should wash out completely in one or two washes but direct dyes like Crazycolour are a pain to remove, especially on bleached hair. I never refer to them as temporary colours as it gives clients the wrong impression about them, to my mind.

I suspect your hairdresser didn't realise it was crazy colour or else she isn't very experienced with direct dyes as you definitely need to strand test if you're planning to use bleach. Chances are, it might lift it or more likely, fade out to a salmon pink colour but then you'd have to cover over it.

True temporary colours should wash out completely in one or two washes but direct dyes like Crazycolour are a pain to remove, especially on bleached hair. I never refer to them as temporary colours as it gives clients the wrong impression about them, to my mind.

I suspect your hairdresser didn't realise it was crazy colour or else she isn't very experienced with direct dyes as you definitely need to strand test if you're planning to use bleach. Chances are, it might lift it or more likely, fade out to a salmon pink colour but then you'd have to cover over it.
Right okay yeah I have washed my hair at least 6 times since I put the dye on and it hasn't came out so think they are going to be a pain to get out.

I did say to her it was the temporary ones that you don't mix with anything like a coloured conditioner so I assumed she knew what I meant.

I did assume if she put bleach on it it will go more light pink which is what I don't want:/.

Do you know if colour removers work on direct dyes? Would I be better of finding a salon that would do that first instead of straight away using bleach?

Thanks

It's hard to say with out a strand test request one

No, ordinary colour removers only work with oxidised colours so those that are mixed with a developer before application. They don't work on direct dyes as they're a completely different product chemistry.

You would need a colour remover specifically formulated for removing direct dye.
However, if the cuticle is stained, your only options are to cut it out or colour over it. You could bleach it to fade it a bit more before colouring over it but if the dye has stained the cuticle, it strongly suggests that the cuticle layer is already compromised to some extent, so you need to be cautious before you let anyone slap on more bleach.

If you ask your hairdresser to explain about the difference between a direct dye and a temporary colour and she doesn't really know, then it might be sensible to go somewhere else.

Which Schwarzkopf colour did you use?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 22
Noooo Maisie why are you using live xxl[emoji40][emoji40]

Because it's a semi obvs

Just as bad[emoji30]
It's not really a semi lol it may say it on the box but have you tried to get that crap out [emoji85][emoji23]

It's not really a semi lol it may say it on the box but have you tried to get that crap out [emoji85][emoji23]

If it says 'live' on it or 'xxl' no matter what shape or form... It'll be vile[emoji30]

Latest posts

Back