Rent a chair and stock/products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swilks12

Reaction score
Hi guys im looking at taking over a hair salon that currently employs 1 staff member and the others are rent a chair.

As the previous owner had this staff member she purchased stock to retail, however when i take it over the employed staff member will become self employed, however im unsure what to do re the stock situ and wondered if those currently running a fully self employed salon could advise...

Do i

a) include stock in rental price (how the heck would i work it out)

B) purchase the stock and pay a commission on sales (again how do i work this out)

C) provide no stock and let them sort this themselves?

Any advice greatly received!

That's interesting. Has the existing staff member requested to go self employed when you take over the business? Presumably you've already discussed the basis of the new arrangements with her so what are her thoughts?

I'd also talk to the existing chair renters to get a feel for how they prefer to run their businesses before making any decisions. You don't want to end up with lots of unsold stock sitting around getting dusty, so it makes sense to go with brands that they want to retail.

I'd let them buy all their own stock & products & sell them all the retail you have already at cost price or cheaper just to get it off your own hands, if you don't already know about stock I wouldn't consider trying to pay for it, let them sort it out for themselves

Have you looked at NHF. they have some fantastic advice for rent a chairs and contract for them too x

The nhf contracts are excellent I agree, it won't help with cost breakdowns tho

It does have advice on there about different ways of charging rent, and their legal helpline is brilliant x

Latest posts

Back