rent a chair ??????????????? help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy

Reaction score
Hello , i have been "renting" a chair for 2 years in a salon i have worked in for 10 years on a 50/50 basis to include all use of salon products and juniors , however the owners of the salon have me throught the books as paying £100 chair rental so they are putting throught the books the £100 but are taking 50% of everything i make and i pay my own tax and ni, they have told me today that i am contracted to work the hours they say after i complained that an appointment had been put in the book only half an hour before i finish work , i have repetedly told them to consult me before putting late appointments in . everything i make goes through the till and at the end of the week they give me 50% of what i,v taken .I have heard that if they give me the %age of my takings they are in effect employing me is this right , does anyone know what the rules are or the lagalities of this situation PLEASE HELP :irked::irked::irked:

thats awful your obviously doing really well and they no they can get more money from you, (greed) as you have been there so long your natural reaction would be to pay it so you dont have to leave and loose ur custom (right?)

i would sit down with them and try and compromise a more suitable rate that works good for you both.

WHAT I HAVE LEARNT is that everything will work out for the best whether you stay there or not.
i **** my self when ihad trouble at work,i saved £1500 and i left and went on my own and got ready for the tough times ahead, but its gone really well and wish i had done it sooner

GOOD LUCK X

GREED with a capital gree, . as i,m the highest money maker in the shop, they think they can cash in and con me into thinking that they are doing me a favour, my partener and i are going to take over his shop (he,s a barber) when his two co workers retire next year. what i need to know is wether or not they should be paying me holiday pay and sick pay as i,m clearly not as self employed as i thought as they call the shots,and provide stock, and take my money and pay me my %tage. to me i,m just told i,m renta chair based so they can pocket money tax free. thank you for your reply , wish ide gotten out sooner too but have over a year to wait :cry:

thanks minky. i,ll give it a look....:)

AS a salon owner that has some employed and some rent a chair stylist - I also work on the 50/50 and supply all - however the stylists are free to choose their working hours, charges etc and at the end of each day they take home their 50% its the only way to do it as for them putting only £100 per week through their books thats their risk - keep your own accurate records and ask them to provide you with an invoice for their 50% or a break down each month of your turn over and rent. All I would say is that VAT and PAYE are really expensive and with the 50% I receive I automatically lose 17.5% for VAT and of course, juniors, products etc etc theirs not a lot left in profit so its not that all are greedy its just really difficult to make a good margin of profit these days.

i used to rent for 50% takings also, i made sure i made my own hours but they always try and take the p*** late appointments booked in, 1 client at 9 the second at 4.30, the salon was on the way down and they were doingwhatever it took to keep the clients happy, which is fine, but my time is money!! i have no time to wait 6 hours in between appointments, it is business and you have to remember that, so you must speak to them, when i brought it up, they were fine, just waiting for me to moan really, until you do they think well she must not mind...and will keep doing it.

Further to my story, the guy in question went VAT registered and then started working out my 50% after he had taken his 17.5% VAT off the total!! straight away i was paying his tax bill without consultation, i was way over£100 down after the first month!! renogotiation was called for...

i know the lines get sqiffy sometimes when you are self employed, but you should have your ground rules, and a contract that you are both in agreement of, if the agreed terms are constantly broken and you are not happy, it is time to move on and you know you will do a better job on your own, as you have learned from your experiences.

speak up for yourself, its up to them how they do their taxes, but when it starts affectin your wages....

HTH
Becks

thank you for your replys to my thread its nice to hear from both sides.....i really need to sit down and talk to them but i,m often to busy and just want to get out at the end of the day. we did have an argument recently and they are a lot better,at the mo i,m exected to cover their staffs holidays, they really are taking the p..s. on the whole we get on very well but they do tend to rely on me a lot.and they thought that if i was self employed ide be there 24/7 so they can take more time off to persue their pivate lives.. i agreed to go self employed so ide be able to have more time to persue my other intrests, and to take it a bit easier as i have repetetive strain injury in my right elbow and wrist. but sadly it aint working for me the way i thought it would, i have little or no control of my working hours or my work load.

Latest posts

Back