Rent a chair holiday charge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawpaw

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if salon owners charge their rent a chair/room anything if they take holiday . Thanks

Where I used to rent a chair we had the equivalent 'rent free days' as holiday I believe... I used to pay a daily fee, if I chose to take more time I would still be charged that daily fee. If done on a percentage I believe they are limited to time off too. I was once told by the salon owner that I was lucky to be given that as other salons don't. I do believe it was accounted for somewhere

Yes. Charge always. You don't get to not pay your rent/mortgage when you go on holiday ;)

I have never had a problem as they are fantastic workers but recently have one join my team that always off. She on day rate so books herself solid one week then has week off. Do people do a discounted rate for holidays or same day rate . Thanks any help appreciated

I agree, always charge. I don't get a week off from paying my rent for the shop if I have a holiday! I have to work extra to cover myself, same with my mortgage at home

Rent charges are usually 52 weeks or 12 months. Use the flat renting analogy if it helps.

Some salons offer a 1-2 week holiday, but usually only if they want to close the salon over Christmas break. Obviously, you can't charge them rent if they can't actually go in and work.

That's the downside if you were doing percentage split and they chose not to come in. Not much you could do in that instance.

I have a question - I'm a salon owner and my renter recently reduced her hours to just 3 days which was gutting, however I take a flat rate for up to 3 days with all the other girls so if they are off they still pay that flat rate for their chosen 3 days. The stylist was ill on one of her days and asked if she could work on the Saturday to do her clients she missed - the Saturday isn't her usual day - so is it an 'extra' day that I should I charge her the daily rent for???

Depends on your written terms in the contract.
These are the basics that it should cover so that your renters (and you) know where they stand.

Presumably anyone working full time in the salon pays rent for working on a Saturday so on that basis, she must pay full rent too.
Whatever you decide to do, you will be setting a precedent and you don’t want to be tied up in knots tying to keep everyone happy when they come to you with their special circumstances argument.

Tell her kindly that you’re sorry she has been ill but that it’s important that everyone in the salon follows the same rules and is treated equally.

I can’t speak as a salon owner but I have rented a room with 2 salon owners.

The first owner charged £100 per week with a 28 day break period to be used for holidays and Christmas. If I was off sick or had to take time off due to child care then there was no wiggle room at all.

The second owner charged £25 a day with a minimum of 3 days a week. If I had a quiet period she was considerate and would slightly discount my rate in line to the treatments that I had in that day.

I would charge her the rent. If she comes in on Saturday, she’ll make a profit and she should pay you rent.

The fact that she is a self employed business, means that she takes the risk of suffering losses as well as making profits. It’s just part of business. And as @AcidPerm has said above, it will set quite a precedent that you need to consider the implications of going forward.

Latest posts

Back