Rent a chair or go mobile?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KIZZY

Reaction score
This is my first post so here goes! I am just about to finish a 1 yr VTCT mani & Pedi course and am booked to do my Creative 4 day foundation course next week (v xcited). My plan was to go mobile and start slowly by working evenings and w/ends (I have 2 small children). However a local hairdresser is interested in me renting space 1 day a week and has asked me to phone her tomorrow to discuss it. Has anybody got any advice. What questions shd i be asking? Would it be better for me to start in a salon or go mobile? Its all v confusing?:confused:

Hi

Well you need to make yourself a list pros and cons and weigh it up. I would say go for one day a week in the salon and maybe negociate a % of your takings as your rent otherwise you can end up out of pocket (excluding retail) with a maximum weekly amount. eg 60/40 in your favour unless she is supplying the products or 70/30 whatever you think is fair. Set a max of say £100 or some such. Or you could do it monthly.
I just feel that with home work you have to be very strict or it can take over if you know what i mean. At least when you go home from the salon your home and thats it. When you work from home people think your at their beck and call at any hour. WHich can really start to get annoying.
JMO

Hi Kizzy
Firsty let me say well done on your first post, this is only my second post so i'm a newbie too!
I have worked as a nail technician in a salon for 6 years, 3 years into it a took the managers post and have been enjoying it thoroughly ever since. The main problem with renting a space once a week is that you cannot offer a reliable service to your clients. i.e, client has a broken nail mid-week, you are unavailable, what does the client do?
I suggest, when you talk to the hairdresser you ask her thoughts on this scenario. I would also be asking her these questions;
What do you expect of me? What should I expect of you? Will you be including nail services in your advertising, and will you expect a contribution? How many of your clients have expressed an interest in nail services?
Perhaps she would be willing to agree to a rent free period to help build your clientele.
What you could consider...
Working in a nail salon will give you experience in a reliable environment with help and advice always available. It can be rather daunting, but will allow you to find your feet. This experience will enable you to make a more informed decision regarding your future career path.
I should say, many nail technicians have found great success through renting a work space, but I would imagine, with no other nail techs around it could be tough starting out this way. Same goes for working as a mobile nail technician.
Good luck, i hope to hear how you get on.

KIZZY said:
This is my first post so here goes! I am just about to finish a 1 yr VTCT mani & Pedi course and am booked to do my Creative 4 day foundation course next week (v xcited). My plan was to go mobile and start slowly by working evenings and w/ends (I have 2 small children). However a local hairdresser is interested in me renting space 1 day a week and has asked me to phone her tomorrow to discuss it. Has anybody got any advice. What questions shd i be asking? Would it be better for me to start in a salon or go mobile? Its all v confusing?:confused:
Hi Kizzy! Glad you posted this - I was just about to ask a similar question!
I've been working mobile and have a few clients (only just moved into the area) and I have been offered a space in the beauty salon that I am doing my work experience in (I'm a Beauty Therapy Stoooodent as well u c!!). I agree with what Fee-Fo says - there are pros and cons both ways and you need to really sort everything out with the salon owner before starting work or there could be problems.

I have negotiated a six week rent-free period to build up my client base and the salon is going to advertise for me. I'm starting out with one day a week but coming in 'on-call' for any emergencies! (ohmigaaawd :cry: I broke a nail!!) We are going to sit down again at the end of that time and have a discussion as to whether we want to continue and if so how we organise percentage/rent etc etc. How about doing the same? - that way if you dont like it you can knock it on the head without much of a problem.

I'm very nervous - as I have to do the owners nails as a kind of entrance exam next week - my confidence has suddenly dropped somewhat!! Arrrgh! :eek:

Good luck deciding!

A:)

Hi Kizzy

I also have small children (3 - under age 7!!!). I started doing nails about a year ago and have been doing it from home. At the time my youngest was 15 months old. I found that it has worked really well with getting lots of experience and practice as I just work as and when I can, i.e I fit appointments in around school and nursery pickups and the children are very used to it now and just potter around either watching t.v or playing whilst I work. I do agree that by being mobile/homeworking you are at the constant beck and call of clients, I have found this to be a bit a problem in the past, but you just have to be strict in when you are prepared to work. Although having said that when you are trying to build up a business you will probably (like me) say yes to everything!!

I have just recently been asked to go and work freelance in a local salon 1 day a week. I did my first day yesterday. I am hoping that this is going to work well, but still with me keeping my clients at home. I pay a certain amount in rent and then everything I make after that is mine. It is quite a busy beauty salon though, with 2 other girls also doing nails, which helps with clients coming in with broken nails etc.

Hope this has been helpful!!!

Good luck in what you decide to do.

Kirsty :D

Hello Kizzy!

Well done for posting your first post! Well here is good luck with your creative course next week I am just about to do mine too and also a little nervous but very very excited at the same time - you will be great and you know it deep down! With regards to the rent a chair or go mobile I think you should rent a chair because at least then you have then back of the salon behind you!

Daisy x x x x

hiya... like you i started off as a mobile tech but got cheesed off with the usual things- travelling, clients dogs/ kids getting in way, forgetting appointments etc so i decided to rent in a newish salon... I cannot believe how happy i am now and am almost full to capacity. I pay 30% of my take which i feel is good cos think of the overheads if you had your own place. They take the bookings and look after me well. The big advantage which i was not aware of is if there are other techs there you learn so much and ideas just constantly bounce off each other. The table is always there as opposed to lugging one round and all your kit. It is acually a pleasure now and felt like hell before... good luck with your choice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back