Rent charges! How much??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen Minx

Reaction score
Hi Guys, im in a muddle atm and not sure which way to turn :sad:

Im currently renting a room within a hairdressers, (which is upstairs above shops so outside advertising is hard) My table is within the reception right by the recetion desk, its a little squished and i can't do pedi's! Im right by a window which i have streaming sunlight in the summer blinding my clients and i can't see much what im doing. I have asked if i can have a roller blind and the answer was ' i dont like the look of blinds, you can have a voile instead' Which wont help me much. The building is an old listed one and it is absolutly freezing!!! even in this weather if the sun isn't out! My clients are always cold so is my mix ratio leaving me working far too wet in the winter months, which is putting my clients at risk. There is other problems like no hot water. The only hot water which works is in the hairdressers room and beauty room, so i need to boil a kettle. Im pretty fed up now and want to move on before winter comes again.
Now, i only pay £10 per day rent for this place and she does't charge me rent for the days i don't have bookings. I have been offered a lovely modern room within another hairdressers, its a ground floor hairdressers, the room has no window but it does have air con within the ceiling (which i think turns to heating for winter but need to ask to make sure) I can do what i like within the room, have my own room key so i can lock up if i wish. But she is asking £100 per week rent and she is open 6 days a week, i normally only work 5 but can do 6 if needed. Is this normal charge for a room? I won't have petrol to pay out for because its at walking distance. I was unsure about the rent at first and she said she would do me a reduction for the first 3 months then assess from there.
I have been sitting on it over the weekend thinking what should i do, and i still dont know what to do! I probabaly risk loosing about 50% of my clients. And im worried if it doesn't work out.

Sorry for the long post. Is this about normal for a room? Should i take the risk for my clients sake and my own reputation? Or should i just work from my nails room within my home? Decisions! Decisions!

£100 a week is double what you are paying now. Split it down to £20 a day (possibly less if you worked a 6 day week) and think about if you can afford that? You seem very negative about where you are just now, and very positive about this new place. The new owner seems very helpfull too, offering to reduce rental rates for the first 3 months.

Do you only do nails? or all beauty treatments? Do you think your clients will follow you? Does this other salon think they will get good footfall of clients for you to pick up?

Lots of questions, bring these up with the new salon owner. Also ask about promotional material, will she help with your advertising costs?

Good luck, but deep down you will know your answer yourself methinks ;) xxx

£100 a week is average rent wise.Could you not take your clients with you from the place you are renting now to the new place?Your rent you are paying now seems very low and she seems extremely understanding not charging you if you have no clients.Be careful you're not going out from the fryer into the fire,so to speak.the hot water issue is a common one believe me.I have worked in places with no hot water(especially in the old buildings)we always had to boil a kettle,annoying I know but a small price to pay if otherwise you're happy.
The sunlight issue I have had too,we had blinds though for the summer.Could you not have a little heater?Maybe offer a little rent increase in return for use of a portable electric heater for you and your clients.?Like Kim says you will know yourself what's the best route to take,Follow your heart and what you can really afford.x

I know from bitter experience that sometimes you think it's better the devil you know. However you don't sound very happy where you are, so why not make a list of all the pro and cons of both places on paper. Then contact the new owner and go armed with a list of questions that you may have so that you can make a really informed choice.

You mention that you could work from home have you asked your clients if they would like this instead of going to a salon. Just make sure that you have as much information that you can possibly think of. If you worked 5/6 days a week do you think that you would be busy for most of this time, you could work out your average clients per week and see if you think
that you could afford the rent.

I hope all goes well for you, sometimes it's just that you get comfortable with what you know and new things seem a little daunting, good luck.

I took the risk of moving out of the old salon I rented space in and went into a busier salon in a busier town. Like you, the new rent terrified me. I pay over £100 a week.
I have my own room which is a lovely big size. Own sink,,,window etc. Included in my rent is reception, heating, lighting, tea, coffee, lightbulbs, water...and some other bits.
I have really expanded and its helped my business boom. It is very scarey to take on more rent,, but it can be a good business move.
Do your research. Ask some of your clients..I did and mine were pleased for me and they love the privacy I have now.
Weigh up your pro's and con's. Sometimes we have to take risks to be able to grow.
Good Luck xx

I used to work in a sunbed shop on the desk and we had a beauty therapist and a nail tech who rented space. Beauty therapist had their own room and nail tech was the other side of reception so everyone who came in could see her working away. The nail tech was only charged £20 per week less rent than the beauty therapist which I thought was shocking! As in the private room there was running hot water, small heater, lockable room etc. And the nail tech had to take everything home with her incase something was taken, or buy a new table with lockable drawers! I used to sit there and think I would rather have the private room etc! At least if you didnt have a client you could tidy etc, whereas the nail tech just had to sit there in full view of everyone. It was a really busy salon too!
By the sounds of it I think you have already made up your mind what you want but you want reassurance from others that you are making the right decision. Go talk to the new salon owner and ask as meny questions as you can, then tell all your exsisting clients where your new place is going to be. Or at least give them your business card and explain you can do it from home or go to their house also. As some might travel some distance to come to where you are just now but if the new place is even further away it might put them off slightly.
Good luck with it all! But deep down I think you know what you are going to do :D

Wow do I live in a cheap area?...there was shop unit that used to previously be a beauty salon and it's £150 a month not Inc electric etc but that's for a high street poisition. Our hair dressers charge about £30-50 a week for own room in salon, with key etc

I think you should move to new one too just a little shocked by price. I work mobile and from home.. Whilst saving to open my own nail bar.

Hi I am due to start in a salon next week and my rent is £100 per week this includes heating, water, tea & coffee for clients and reception cover/hair stylists will take bookings for me. It is in a busy town centre so business is good so I guess it depends on what your rent includes and the location.
I hope things work out for you whatever you decide :D

Thanks for all your feedback on this.
I really don't know what to do. I only have about 24 regular clients atm, 12 belonging to someone else im just looking after while other tech on maternity leave, she was due back march but posponed until june. Not even sure if she will ever come back has she dont seem eager. A couple of her clients wish to stay with me. I have a few walk in's for new sets and a couple of walk in manicure/polish clients now and then but thats not going to pay my rent. Im also taking into account what will happen when the other tech does return, she only wants about 2 mornings a week but we will have to share the table and space. Space is tight has it is so it means i will have to pack my stuff away at the end of my working week ready for her few mornings. Not that i have too much to pack away because i dont like taking any equipment into the salon has things get broke. You should of seen me last week when i recieved my shellac kit, i was gaurding it like gold dust and taking it home every night in a nail tech case! :D I also have the salon owners child sitting at my table while im not there eating or drawing or just swivelling around on my chair adjusting the hight which really bugs me. I did buy a heater last winter which did help a little but didn't solve my acrylic setting problem. Well thats broke now and has been packed away in the store room. I don't know what happened to it has i haven't seen it yet but one of the staff said there is a huge crack in it and it looks like someone has sat on it. :(

Im actually thinking of just working from home now. Me and hubby have sat talking about it this lunch time and he thinks it would work has im lucky to have my own little room in the back of the house. Its a kitchen/diner and there is a door which i can close the rest of the house off. My boys are now 12 and 15 and pretty much do thier own thing after school and i have everything i need in the diner for doing nails. IMO it actually looks more professional, peaceful than the salon im in at the mo. And its warm! :D

Im going to sit on it for another week or so and have a good think before i decide on what i think will be best.

Hi I am due to start in a salon next week and my rent is £100 per week this includes heating, water, tea & coffee for clients and reception cover/hair stylists will take bookings for me. It is in a busy town centre so business is good so I guess it depends on what your rent includes and the location.
I hope things work out for you whatever you decide :D
Location (not going to say exact :D) would be an army base based out in the sticks lol
ATM im working in a very small town but the hairdressers is up stairs so not many know where it is.

Just had a call from the new salon and she has dropped the rent charge to £75 a week if i will agree to allow a spray tan lady use the same room 2 evenings a week. Nothing of mine will be touched and things will be put back the way it was when she takes down her tent. Does sound like a good deal? Will it work?
I have asked if the rent will go back up to £100 if the spray tan lady ever left and she said sha hadn't even thought about that but no, only time it will go up is when her inflation goes up (which is normally in a year i think she said)

how many spray tans do you do in a week?

will you be not allowed to do tans if she is doing them, or does it only affect you in that you can't use the room when she is using it?

I personally would pay £100 a week, I wouldn't want a spray tan person in 2 evenings a week because 1. overspray coating your stuff 2. spray tan lady not touching your stuff is fine but can you trust her clients you dont even know?

how many spray tans do you do in a week?

will you be not allowed to do tans if she is doing them, or does it only affect you in that you can't use the room when she is using it?
I don't do spray tans i just do nails. She onlt wants 2 eve a week which is fine by me has i normally only do 2 late evenings myself has my hubby won't want to cook every night. :)

I personally would pay £100 a week, I wouldn't want a spray tan person in 2 evenings a week because 1. overspray coating your stuff 2. spray tan lady not touching your stuff is fine but can you trust her clients you dont even know?
The salon owner says she has a tent and no spray will go anywhere else. Does this still happen with a spray tan? I don't know, i know nothing about spray tans and never had one in my life. :)

I have been to visit the salon again to have a nosey at the room again and its smaller than i first thought on the first visit, its 92''x78''. It does't have air con, it is an extractor fan system in the roof the get rid of the vapours. It does't have any heating but i can add a heater or they will give me one for the winter (which will be inc in rent)

Just spoke to my hubby and told him the size and he said no don't offer to share, if im going to take it then tell them i want the room alone and pay full rent taking the offer of reduced rent for the first 3 months.

I would probably be inclined to go for the £100 a week. cos im a control freak and wouldnt like the idea of her being in my room lol.

but if you did go for the £75 a week option, try to negotiate some kind of cleaning ideas...because it will dirty up your stuff esp if she is very busy!

I would probably be inclined to go for the £100 a week. cos im a control freak and wouldnt like the idea of her being in my room lol.

but if you did go for the £75 a week option, try to negotiate some kind of cleaning ideas...because it will dirty up your stuff esp if she is very busy!
I am a control freak aswell and i dont like people touching my stuff! She is also new to spray tanning so prob a bit messy at first.

Oh and another thing i do have to consider is when the nail tech comes back from maternity leave in june to the salon im working in atm. I will have to share a table with her there if i stay.

in the salon you are currently in...what if she says she wants to work 4 days or on days that you already work? who gets priority?

in the salon you are currently in...what if she says she wants to work 4 days or on days that you already work? who gets priority?
She said she only wants 2 mornings a week and that she would work it round me. She said she will have a monday has that is already my day off. So from next month (when she should be due back) I have already crossed myself off for a tuesday aswell for her so her days are both together. (i offered her a saturday but she didn't want it has it will be a 'family time' day) She is a really nice girl and not the sort to be difficult. :)
My only concern is that we will have to share space, and there is none has it is! lol

I have decided im not going to take the new salon on. I called today and told the owner i wasn't prepared to share a room and i couldn't afford the £100 rent. Then i went upstairs to have a good cry! :sad:

Has i have only been a working tech for 8 months, i only have 24 regular L&P clients, 12 of them belonging to the other tech and im just taking care of them for time being) I just simply can't afford to risk making the big jump atm. On top of that amount i have some 1 off walk ins, some i have come and go, some 1 off manicures and a couple of polish clients now and then, but i can't rely on them paying the rent. I am really gutted but I WILL be up there one day if i work hard enough, still early days yet. :)

Latest posts

Back