Rent options

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonails

Reaction score
What is better in you opinion?
Rent a desk or rent a space?
Or even solely mobile?
And why please?
I just do nails xx

What is better in you opinion?
Rent a desk or rent a space?
Or even solely mobile?
And why please?
I just do nails xx

I rent a room, but only because I also offer face/body waxing.

A room will probably cost you more, so if you have no intention of offering more than just nails, a desk should be fine. As long as you have enough room for all of your supplies, that is. If you are nails-only, do you have enough stuff to fill a room?

If I was nails-only, I would love to rent a desk. I love the buzz you get from working alongside the other techs/stylists.

I hated mobile. There's plenty of people on here who are mobile and it works for them, but I couldn't stand having my car full of my supplies, a table and 2 chairs. And then having to lug it all in and out of the client's house, especially new clients. And then you have to get yourself set up. Having a room means I know that if I'm ever running a bit late, my desk is ready to go as soon as I walk through the door.

There's no clear up answer for that question, it depends so many individual things specific to the Tech.

Things like how large is your client base - can you fill your day with enough clients to make renting worthwhile
Are your prices structurally enough to cover rent and make a decent wage
How much is the rent, how flexible is it for your needs as much as the landlord
Environment of location - shared - solo - High Street footfall - destination salon- etc.

Mobile wise it things like do you have reliable transport, insurance increase for business use of your vehicle.
How scattered are you clients, you're not earning whilst driving, but it's costing you in fuel
Can you carry your gear easily- mobility issues can make it hard work
Parking in the area you will work - for instance in Brighton parking is a huge nightmare, its mostly residential permit spaces, it's expensive at about £2 an hour rising to £5 in some areas, that's if you can find a space. You can get a business permit but I think they're about £300 a year.

Those are just a few questions off the top of my head, each answer throws up more to consider either way.

Are you leaning in either direction? Hope you are ok

Wow, awesome replies to this question.

The only thing I’d add, based on my own experience and the advice I’ve been given, is to never have all your eggs in one earning basket. If you rent space/a desk and that arrangement goes sour for whatever reason, you’re a bit stuffed. If you at least have a second string to your bow, whether that’s a job pulling pints for a few hours a week, or some mobile clients, or whatever, you at least have something. The same thing applies to mobile - you need a car and a licence and parking and sh1t can happen. In the industry Health/injury is another factor - shoulder issues are very common reasons for needing time off.

In 7 years I’ve had so many things to deal with that my business plan never imagined. I’ve had so many issues I’d put you off going into business if I told you it all in one go!

The main thing is to not let yourself get too stressed and anxious. When we worry, we can’t think straight, we either freeze or mentally run away. If you always have some sort of safety net or Plan B it’s much easier to enjoy your venture and to give out those all important positive vibes that attract customers.

Thank you ladies!
I'm currently half the time mobile half renting a chair but didn't know whether I should switch to renting just a room as then I can decorate how I like etc.
But, it makes sense I don't necessarily have enough to fill a room and it will be more expensive. I think I would still do a few days mobile regardless as it's just more convenient for a few of my clients, especially the older ones who are a bit weary of covid etc.
I have had a look at some places looking for nail techs to rent a chair and actually all of those places the nail section is upstairs.

That's another thing actually: has anyone ever worked with other self employed techs in one room so all renting a chair/desk? What's that experience been like? I currently rent a chair at a hairdressers and I am the only nail tech. I worry about trusting other nail techs with my stuff out if I am not there and it being competitive. I'm not that kind of person but others might be.

Latest posts

Back