rent shock!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natsturgeon

Reaction score
just back from a meeting with salon owner in belfast- the rent is £50 per day- therefore costing me £150 for the thurs, fri & sat i want to work....i had thought about £70 for the whole week (mon-sat) & therefore perhaps only £40 for my 3 days...

ie if i was in 6 days a week my rent would be £250 a week! £1000 a month!

im really not sure what to do. only good thing is popits will mean i will get more sets done in a day.
she is also giving me my own room in which i will be carrying out spray tans & other treatments when i finish my nvq beauty therapy- as well as letting me put my nail table out the front if i want (that will get me more business she thinks) full use of all their receptionists, fones, electric plus she said i can get my hair done for free or at a reduced rate (in exchange for doing her nails etc for free!)

This is a very busy(city centre of belfast) salon & she says she is inundated with queries for nails so i think i will be busy..

she was a lovely girl the salon is fabulous..

what do you think?? any other geeks from belfast or similar large city centres..what are you paying for rent?

It certainly does seem high...

Just as an example, if you worked 6 days per week and took an average of £600 pw in takings, that would be £31,200 in a year, assuming you worked 52 weeks of the year.

If you don't work 6 days per week, what happens on the days you don't work? For instance, will somebody else be renting that space on the days you are not there?

Realistically you cannot work 6 days pw, 52 weeks of the year, so lets say you work 5 days pw and take £500 pw for 48 weeks of the year. Your takings would then drop to £24,000...

Now if you don't want someone else to rent that space when you're not there, you may find yourself paying £300 pw in rent and that may be for 52 weeks of the year, i.e. presumably the salon owner will want rent while you are on holiday?

So then from your £24,000 pa. takings, you will have to pay £15,600 rent which will leave you with £8,400 pa, i.e. £700 per month, AND you will have to buy all your products and disposables out of this.

I'm being devils advocate here really, I just want to make sure you give the matter full consideration, especially as it may take you quite a few months, or even a couple of years to build up your clientele :)

no nobody else would be renting the space- as i have to buy my own table as well! therefore no way am i letting anyone use my table for free!!

im going to be renting for 3 days per week so £150 a week in rent.

if i only come away with £300 for the three days (i would hope to earn more but have to be realistic here- that means im earning £150 for 3 days work!& as you say products have to come out of that.

i should point out im keeping my job in office but going part time.

realistically how much do you nail technicians with a full client base earn per day (gross before you take out what you pay for materials) sorry if its quite a forward question...just really unsure- my family think its far too much (based on fact that i had been reading posts here & thought it would be no more than about £20 per day).

HELP from you wise geeks is needed in case i make a big mistake & end up bankrupt!!!

Hi , I am sorry to rain on your bonfire but I also think this is too expensive could you ask her to reduce it ?

i work from home but will say.....it seems alot but she is also going to let you have the other room for spray tan when you pass.....also she is letting you have the use of the reception,phones,putting your table at the front ....more bussiness for you.....so you will pay £150 for 3 days out of that you will have 2 rooms (when you pass your training for spray tan ) no other bills apart from products....she is making money aswell but if i was her .....i would.that is her business and she will be paying your electric and phone.....so it may sound alot of money but you have to weigh up what you are getting for it...hope this helps you hun....good luck in what ever you decide xxx

OK... I totally understand why you want to give it a go, and yes, being in a busy salon should definitely help you to get clients.

Will you have a proper contract? Will you have to pay rent while you're on holiday?

Other than getting clients that come into the salon, have you thought about how you will market your business?

With regard to income, I cannot really answer this for you as I'm not a nail tech BUT you know what you are going to charge, and you know how long it's going to take to do a set... so you can easily work out what your takings could be.

Maybe it will be possible to negotiate a lower start up rent? Maybe try to aim for 70/30 to you? Bearing in mind you are paying for the products etc?

She has said she will help me with all the marketing that she can- they do promotions for christmas & other times & let me post cards to her clients to tell them ...about the new nail tech in their hair salon- im also going to be getting business cards, done & will be leaving them everywhere possible & will run a few ads in local papers.

i really dont want to go on a system like 70/30 & i dont think she wants that either. i dont want to work like that as then if im off she could be annoyed as im not making her money. & i think she has enough running the salon & doesnt want to have to worry about how much money im making as long as shes getting my rent she will be happy.

i will def be asking for a contract & also enquire about if im not in any of the days im contracted for ie thurs,fri,sat,..would i still have to pay rent.

god its just so bloody expensive- if it was £30 a day i would go for it. should i ask her to reduce it.

would really love to hear from other nail techs who rent a table- how much do you pay per day?

thanks to those above who have gave me advice, give me alot to think about over weekend..

Hi , what about asking her could you do three afternoons a week until you are busy ?
and get all your appointments booked all together in the afternoons ,
then when you are busier you could do the mornings too and this would be half the rent till then ,
I am sure she would understand .

ps is she going to buy the spray tanning equipment or will this be you ?

I don't think you have anything to lose by asking for a reduction :)

thanks minky- perhaps i should just do the two days per week ie fri & sat- that'll be £100 per week & then when i get my client base builtup i can slowly introduce one or two more days.

i have all my own spray tan equip anyway so be using that. i just use a pop up tent & hvlp tanning machine.

will be buying all my own products for tans & nails.

she wont have any interest in it.

oh another thing as she is VAT registered she says i have to pay VAT on my rent as well!! More expense.

I am concerned that if she can rent space for £50 per day, i.e. £250- £300 pw, will she be happy with £100 pw?

no she said she is happy for me to just to rent for whatever days i want to, to begin with- & i will be the only one & only nail tech renting.

i will make sure this is in the contract.

do you think that im having to buy my own table etc isnt great or shouldnt i really moan about this as they arent that expensive & i can always take it with me when i leave.

I'm not sure about this but I think it's OK. I think I would expect to buy my own table :)

Good luck hun x

oh another thing as she is VAT registered she says i have to pay VAT on my rent as well!! More expense.

I'm no accountant but you will not be VAT registered and as a seperate business renting a space from her surely you will not have to cover any VAT- you would need to speak to someone with business knowledge about this. She has to pay VAT as her business earns over I think it's something like £64,000. I may be wrong though!

Call customs National Advice Service helpline – 0845 010 9000

Whether this rent is reasonable depends on how busy you get. Maybe you could ask for reduced rent while you are trying to build up customers. Also ask about rent increases. You may be onto a good thing if you become really busy and if the salon is nice you are at an advantage. She's obviously doing well if she is VAT registered.

You could get a 200k morgage for that amount of rent!

If you are goinng to lay out the money have you looked around at what rent/ leses are available for that amount. If you are not giving up the day job you could rent half to another therapist say holistic etc

Don't forget a contract as I fell into this trap :irked:
There was a second room which they hired out to another tech/beautician and played us of against each other. My clients rebooked and hers did not so when she left they blackmailed me by saying that I could have sole rites to the beauty if I paid her rent as well as my own. Then the rent just went up and up when they felt like it so in the end it was cheeper for me to have my own place with my own shop front.
When i first met them I thought Awww shes lovely...its going to be so nice to work here etc But business can do strange things to people if they are that way underneath to begin with and if I can help anyone else not to make the same mistake then what I went through was worth it :hug:

Hi , I have never heard of VAT :eek: on top of a rent either ,
but maybe some other business geekys will know of this.

Well £50 a day for the Busiest 2 days sounds a lot better ,
does she have any late nights for you ?

Hi , I have never heard of VAT :eek: on top of a rent either ,
but maybe some other business geekys will know of this.

Well £50 a day for the Busiest 2 days sounds a lot better ,
does she have any late nights for you ?

well thurs night is her late night - but if i was only renting fri & sat i wouldnt be able to take advantage of this..

god this is a nightmare..im really just thinking about telling her thanks but no thanks & holding out for a reasonable rate of rent...

Hi mmmm I see what you mean , but once you have built up friday and sat then you could maybe do thurs,
do you get keys to work earlier or later if you want ?

I actually think £50 a day is fine if the salon is busy and nice. I paid this when i was self-employed but was making on average £1000 a week so it worked out as 25% which i thought was pretty good!

It really depends on how big the client base is and if the salon is really nice it means you can charge a bit more to offset the cost.

Why not try Thursdays and Saturdays?? They are our busy days and it means you get the late night in as well.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channels...HMCE_CL_000154&propertyType=document#P81_6763

just spoke to hm revenue & customs they told me to look at their website www.hmrc.gov .uk public notice 742, & section 2.7 (the last bulliten)

i think the above link should be it- she told me to read it & see if i think i should be exempt from paying vat or not on top of rent...not very helpfull..if any kind person would like to have a quick look & see how you read it- i read it that i am exempt from paying vat on my rent...

re getting keys to open late if i wanted to - i doubt it- the more i think about it the more im putting myself off- my boyfriend has just come in & was so shocked at the rent- will be £60 a day with VAT on top of it- so if i only do two sets of nails in one day (@£40 per set) i come home with a score!

i feel like crying :cry::cry::cry:

Latest posts

Back