Rent while off sick

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHair

Reaction score
Hi, appreciate the are lots of posts on here for rent while off sick, my question is slightly different. I'm a self employed rent-a-chair stylist who unfortunately will be unable to work for approximately 8 weeks due to an operation. My rent (as stated on my agreement) includes reception services , use of the salon junior, tea/coffee, towels and product use. Obviously none of these will be used while i'm off, however I appreciate building rent etc will still need to be paid by the owner.

My question is, what are peoples thoughts on a reasonable percentage of rent that should be paid.

Many thanks.

Sorry to hear you need an operation and 8 weeks recovery time. I hope it all goes well.

Regarding your chair rent payments. It’s very important that you carefully check the terms of the contract you signed because unless there’s a specific clause that allows you to reduce your rent for whatever reason, you may find that you are still legally liable for 100% of the weekly rent during those 8 weeks. Obviously if your rental agreement was on a percentage split basis, you’d be laughing.

Whilst the rent charged allows the owner to offer you the services of a receptionist, salon junior, laundry, other sundries etc. you can’t unilaterally choose to knock £X off your rent just because you aren’t using those services for 8 weeks.

However, you should definitely talk to the salon owner and see if you can negotiate a reduction in your rent pointing out the potential savings from you not being there, although in the current economic climate, I think your chances of success are slim.

As a self employed person you can nominate another person to work on your behalf so you could ask around and see if anyone might be interested in doing an 8 week trial, but you could be opening a huge can of worms with that if it all went wrong.

Latest posts

Back