Renting a beauty room in a salon ~ how long do you give for it to work or not

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashaonline

Reaction score
Hi

I am in my 3rd week of renting a beauty room downstairs at the back of a small salon.
I have no clientele as have previously worked in another town in a spa so it was not regular clientele more spa days.
I work a weds and a friday to begin with at £25 per day, and so far only had a few clients , from word of mouth through the hairdressers , and someone who saw the large banner I have made on the railings next to the busy road we are near.
I know it is early days but just wondering how long you gave to see if business will work 6months? as getting worried about having to give out £50 a week for to much longer!
I have done leaflet drops around the area and have a website, signs in post office we are near, facebook, offers etc

It take a while, I'm now in my 3 rd
Month of renting a room in a hairdressers after leaving a salon that I could nt take clients with me as opposite end of city. So like starting again and I'm still not that busy don't get me wirng I have good days and bad days but I'm giving myself a yeah and then re asses and I know it cam take businesses longer than that. But u have don'e the right thing by getting ur name out there and ur best will be taking the clients from the hairdressers u r part of, offer them free hand massages , fe s and polishes etc to getthem in, and give the hairdressers so
Treatments to make them walking adverts, if they like what u do they r more likely to suggest to their clients and I would say that's how I have the majority of my clients. Or see if U can negotiate a % rate rather than a flat rate so on days ur quiet then ur not paying out a lot, but this works to their advantage when ur busier and they get possibly more than the &25 a day. But u need to give it time I'm afraid but will be worth it if ur passionate and see it grow as I have

Would the owner let you put a nail desk in the window where you can do your manicures? Then passers by will see you working, and visitors to the salon will see you working and be able to chat with you and hopefully book in for a treatment. Can you afford to get an A-board to put outside the shop when you are in - with a sign saying appointments now always necessary 'or something like that' to encourage people to pop in when passing - and make sure your number is displayed too.

Good luck with it x

thankyou for the replies and some good ideas, I think its the case of getting those first clients through the door and getting rebookings from them, glad ive saved a bit of money to start me off as the money I earn is going straight out on rent and products!

Hi,
Does the hairdressers have a window in which you can display your name or beauty/nail poster(s)? I have been above a salon for 6 years now, and in the beginning I used to sit there all day just to cover my £25 rent per day. I also helped in the actual hairdressers sweeping up, making teas, etc., just so people asked about me - then I'd invite them up to look at the room and offer an occasional freebie. It took a long time - but I also had my husband's income to keep us afloat. (Did quite a few jigsaws to keep me sane lol.) My price lists are always on the reception desk, and I actually keep my till there so people saw me taking money. Can you put posters up alongside the mirrors (for when people are sitting having their hair done). What about an album of your work to keep in reception. Hope this helps and best wishes.
Jes x

Hi Tasha,

Your concerns are well valid..........My advice to you is the following:

1. To eleviate your finances, ask if you can have a two-week rent free period to "promote" your services (hey, if you dont ask you dont get!). The salon should accomodate this request as any leg work you are willing to do, in-turn, generates exposure for them (its worth £100 to them!!)

2. Offer a "loyalty" offer to all salon clients ONLY of "BOGOF" buy one, get cheapest free valid for one month ONLY!! (after they the 50% off salle has expired)

3. Advertise, recommend a friend and get 10% off next treatment (all these are incentives!)

4.Places like gumtree and yell.com are all free.

5. An A-board is great, even if you rotate it with the salon if they want space on it.

6.Put posters up in the salon (obviously some salons dont like this i.e. back of toilet door etc), but ask!

7.To get people in the door, it sounds difficult but worth the gamble, advertise on gumtree, salon posters etc and for ONE WEEK ONLY offer 50% off all treatments 9this will work as you want the return business, then you can promote the recommend a friend once this is in motion!)

8. Visit local offers and get emails to send monthly newsletters.

9. Ask the salon if you can have access to their database (if they object then ask if you can put an introductory offer into their mailing list).

10. Ask companies like all the local sandwich shops especially "subway" if you can leave your promotional leaflets and offer the manager a re-varnish or something for the incentive to keep the leaflets there!

hi thanks again some great ideas i might do a poster with a offer like you said and put it somewhere in view while there hairs being done .
Yes Ive gon through a fair lot of magazines already lol, the time drags but you never know when you might have someone walk in! x

thankyou your all being so helpful and I know will help loads in the same position, never even thought to put on back of toilet door brill! going to try them :) x

How many leaflets have you delivered ? Don't forget the response rate is usually only around 2%.

Have you done any newspaper adverts or local magazines. Maybe offer them some free treatments in return for an editorial ?

How many leaflets have you delivered ? Don't forget the response rate is usually only around 2%.

Have you done any newspaper adverts or local magazines. Maybe offer them some free treatments in return for an editorial ?

Bombini, you are so right. Its about "you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours!" :)

thankyou your all being so helpful and I know will help loads in the same position, never even thought to put on back of toilet door brill! going to try them :) x

Even if you go online at vistaprint and get a T-shirt made up with your special offer on and your company name etc!! it works!! walk round with it on while handing out leaflets. I did one saying "50% off all treatments, one week only" in massive letters!! I went on the london tube network!! OMG i got stopped endlessly for my business card and the work flooded in!! Good luck with ur venture, if you show passion, your will achieve!!! :)

. I did one saying "50% off all treatments, one week only" in massive letters!!

Dont think my chest is big enough to fit that on :sad: hehe

Brilliant idea though!:)

How about offering mini hand massages to the hair clients whilst they have their hair done or a file & varnish, then give them a 10%/20% off their first treatment with you.

How about doing a "Introduction/ launch/ opening" event? Could be a good way to get you known to everyone quickly.

Might also be an idea to do some lashes or nails on one/some of the hairdressers, great advertising & talking point.

Have you got yourself a facebook page? x

I'm opening in about 4 weeks time in a hairdressing salon and was wondering what I could do for an open day. The beauty room is upstairs while the hairdressing salon is downstairs. I'll be working alone so thought it might be difficult. What would you suggest and has anyone else working alone in a beauty room done an open day before? If so, I'll appreciate all your contributions. Thanks

How about offering mini hand massages to the hair clients whilst they have their hair done or a file & varnish, then give them a 10%/20% off their first treatment with you.

How about doing a "Introduction/ launch/ opening" event? Could be a good way to get you known to everyone quickly.

Might also be an idea to do some lashes or nails on one/some of the hairdressers, great advertising & talking point.

Have you got yourself a facebook page? x

Hi,
I'm in a similar position to you as I have just started renting a nail station in a salon. I plan to give myself about 12 months before I re-assess the situation. The serivices I offer are completely new to the salon so I do not have an existing client base to take over, so I think it will just take time (and a lot of hard work obviously) before people are aware that these new services are available. To help with this initial period the salon owner has offered to work on a % basis for the first three months while I build up my client base. After this I will change to rent payments. This is definitely helping me on the quiet days, so maybe you could see if this is something your salon would be happy to do for you. Its as much in their interests to make this work as it is yours.
Originally when I started in the salon I was upstairs but I've now moved downstairs into the window so passers by can see the station. This also gives me better access to the salons hair clients as I can sit and talk to them about services while they wait and or offer hand massages while they get their hair done.
In my first week I did all the girls nails in the salon so customers having their hair done can see the different services I offer. This also gives the girls the confidence to offer these services for me as they have experienced them first hand. This has got me the majority of my business so far. They also offer Shellac, Minx and Mini Mani services to clients who are having colours as these are perfect while they wait. Maybe there are services you could offer in a similar way?
I've flyered the town centre and along with this have gone in all the shops on the high street and asked them to put leaflets in their staffrooms for me which they have all been happy to do. The independant shops are also giving leaflets out for me.
I'm getting an A board outside the salon to promote offers and I'm also offering a reduction on services purchased alongside specific hair services, the salon owner has also offered a reduction on the hair services that are part of the package to try and help entice some of the regulars.
I've gone to a few high footfall stores in the city centre that cater for my target market and have done the nails of the girls that work there for free so customers outside of the salon have access to my work. I know it's daunting laying out the product without any initial financial return, but I'm hoping this will pay off in the long run.
I've been allowed to put posters on the mirrors at each hair station so customers can read about the new services while they have their hair done, and I also have posters in the window.
I'm also offering a discount to all first time customers. Hopefully they'll be hooked and keep coming back.
I know it's hard, but stick with it. I do lie awake at night sometimes worrying about things but I still think it was the right thing to do for me. I hope some of these ideas help, and I hope things start to pick up for you soon. Sorry it's such a long message, just want to help :)

Hi it is really important to push yourself. It's hard if you are not outgoing but you have to let everyone know who you are and what you do. Every hair client they have is a potential client for you. I agree with the others to try and get the hairdressers to have nails, lashes, tans etc by you. This is the best advertisement you can have. Do you do shellac/gellish/minx? If you are really struggling to get things going try and offer mini taster treatments to their regular clients. Do an open day on their busiest day, offer all their regular clients a mini treatment. Get free cards and leaflets from vista print to give out, have a few balloons and nibbles, get a couple of bottles of cheap bubbly most people won't drink it as they drive but it looks good. If they are a reasonably busy salon you should be able to make it work. You need to give it at least 3 months. Try and get your nail desk in the window if at all possible. Make a little bundle of a price list, a sample, a voucher etc tie it with ribbon and get the hairdressers to give it out to all their clients when they are leaving. Good luck xx

I'm opening in about 4 weeks time in a hairdressing salon and was wondering what I could do for an open day. The beauty room is upstairs while the hairdressing salon is downstairs. I'll be working alone so thought it might be difficult. What would you suggest and has anyone else working alone in a beauty room done an open day before? If so, I'll appreciate all your contributions. Thanks

I did this last year. A week before I started, I posted leaflets through peoples doors in the surrounding area, saying when I started and advertised it as a 'launch night'. Anybody who booked a treatment that night got 10% off their treatment, the first 50 people to book a spray tan got it discounted and I also ran other offers for the whole of that month. I greeted people at the door with champagne and strawberries and gave them all copies of my pricelist and offers. It worked really well for me and I got a lot if business from it.

Hope this helps you, good luck when you open!! :) xx

Thankyou so much for your support and ideas, its great to see others are in same situation! :hug: I am going to get a A-frame and do posters around the salon, the salon glass is glazed so you cant see through like privacy glass.
I am nearly fully booked this week from doing a offer for 50% off most beauty services on a weds as a midweek offer until end of April, it is really cheap at a spray tan for £10 and eyebrow wax £3 etc but it is bringing people in to pay my rent , rather than having noone , and will hopefully get my name out there for further bookings. x

Thankyou so much for your support and ideas, its great to see others are in same situation! :hug: I am going to get a A-frame and do posters around the salon, the salon glass is glazed so you cant see through like privacy glass.
I am nearly fully booked this week from doing a offer for 50% off most beauty services on a weds as a midweek offer until end of April, it is really cheap at a spray tan for £10 and eyebrow wax £3 etc but it is bringing people in to pay my rent , rather than having noone , and will hopefully get my name out there for further bookings. x

Good luck!! Xx

Hi

I am in my 3rd week of renting a beauty room downstairs at the back of a small salon.
I have no clientele as have previously worked in another town in a spa so it was not regular clientele more spa days.
I work a weds and a friday to begin with at £25 per day, and so far only had a few clients , from word of mouth through the hairdressers , and someone who saw the large banner I have made on the railings next to the busy road we are near.
I know it is early days but just wondering how long you gave to see if business will work 6months? as getting worried about having to give out £50 a week for to much longer!
I have done leaflet drops around the area and have a website, signs in post office we are near, facebook, offers etc

It can take anytime from 1-2 years to fully build a strong client base. So worth it, just make sure your prices are not to high but still enough for you to earn money and make a profit from. Took me 18 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back