Renting a chair costs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeanneHair1

Reaction score
Hi everyone..
So I rent a chair for £35 a day, I booked off last week as holiday plus one day off sick as my son was poorly.
The salon owner has asked me to send rent for the days I was off
Surely if it’s booked as a holiday you don’t pay rent?
What if it’s a sick day?
Thanks

Your not employed you don’t get holiday- what’s in the contract? I would expect you to pay or there be a holiday period in your contract

i have never had a contract, I’ve asked but she hasn’t written anything up yet.

You should still pay, if you rent a house you still pay for that even if you go away

I feel that’s different as the house would still be occupied with my things wether I’m there or not. I’m not using the chair or products or utilities etc when I’m not there so why am I paying for it!? If I’ve told her I’m not working those days then I didn’t expect to be paying for it as if I was.

You are an independent business working within someone else’s premises. You’re paying an agreed amount to reserve a chair space in her salon. It’s irrelevent whether you are physically there or not.
Rent a chair is usually for 52 weeks a year (or monthly equivalent) unless the salon owner offers to give you a couple of rent free weeks, but that’s pretty rare.
You’re not employed so you need to save money to cover your rent, NI, tax, days off sick and any holidays you choose to take out of your earnings.
Even without a written contract, the fact that you’ve been regularly paying her establishes a contractual relationship between you. If you don’t pay even part of your rent, you’re in breach of contract and she can sue you for non-payment.
She has bills to pay too and is relying on your income. If you mess her about, she might decide to terminate the agreement and rent out the chair to someone else.

Up until two weeks ago we were doing a split profit basis, but recently changed so wasn’t sure how it worked that’s all.

Ah, it’s a shame you didn’t agree to swap from a percentage split until after you’d taken your holidays. ;)

Latest posts

Back