Renting a chair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering how much is the going cost to rent a hairdressing chair? Also a beauty bed for a beautician?

Depends on -
Area.
Salon.
Room size and condition.

Approx £80 - £250 per week

Thanks Becky, I have completely renovated a shop into a salon. So it’s all brand new in a shabby chic style. My area is in Romford, Essex. The area to rent isn’t that big. I have had 2 people approach me, one beautician and one barber, asking to rent. Thanks for that advice.

As a guide, daily rent for hairdressers is usually the price of a basic cut /blow dry.

As a prospective client, I wouldn't want to go to a beauty salon that shares space with a barbershop.
For starters, sharing the waiting area and the toilet with men would put me right off. Obviously, some clients won't be bothered at all but you do need to consider your target market.

As a guide, daily rent for hairdressers is usually the price of a basic cut /blow dry.

As a prospective client, I wouldn't want to go to a beauty salon that shares space with a barbershop.
For starters, sharing the waiting area and the toilet with men would put me right off. Obviously, some clients won't be bothered at all but you do need to consider your target market.

Hi, do you mean per hour? So in a six hour day and charging for instance £20. Per cut & finish. Rent would be 6x20 =£120
Thanks for that reply I will look into seperate days for ladies and gents.

Hi, do you mean per hour? So in a six hour day and charging for instance £20. Per cut & finish. Rent would be 6x20 =£120
Thanks for that reply I will look into seperate days for ladies and gents.

£120 a day? No, that's ridiculous.

If the charge to clients for one cut/blow dry is £30 then that's the total daily rent they pay.

So total weekly rent of £150 if they work 5 days a week.

Oh ok, I have never heard of that, literally one cut & finish. Do you mind me asking are you a salon owner? Or a Renter, so to speak? Or neither?

It's a guide only tbh. But I do like the formula offered.

My step sons a barber, his rent is £40 aday. They charge £12 a cut, so in his case it's 3.5 times.

I'd agree with not having a barber, as I'd want clients to visit other rentals, beauty going to the salon and the other way around, a barber will not help the female hair or beauty side with new clients. You'll only benifit with his chair rental.

If there is a. Abundance of empty shops in your area, you might have to lower the rent a bit to attract rentals

GL

It's a guide only tbh. But I do like the formula offered.

My step sons a barber, his rent is £40 aday. They charge £12 a cut, so in his case it's 3.5 times.

I'd agree with not having a barber, as I'd want clients to visit other rentals, beauty going to the salon and the other way around, a barber will not help the female hair or beauty side with new clients. You'll only benifit with his chair rental.

If there is a. Abundance of empty shops in your area, you might have to lower the rent a bit to attract rentals
Thanks for that advice, that was very useful. Yes I would only take bookings for either or. I am in quite a built up area with no salons in a mile radius.

£120 a day? No, that's ridiculous.

If the charge to clients for one cut/blow dry is £30 then that's the total daily rent they pay.

So total weekly rent of £150 if they work 5 days a week.
We charge £30 a cut and finish, charging this little would cost me money... possibly finish me... £120 is deffo too much though!

I would agree with what AcidPerm said and say whatever your hourly rate is then that would be your chair rental for the day as you would expect them to be busy for at least half of the day so once they have worked their 1st hour, they have covered rent and rest is theirs . I charge £40 a day for a MUA to rent a chair on a Saturday from me. She does brows, lashes & makeup. I don’t depend on the income to pay my bills, just wanted to be able to offer some additional services for my clients but If I was to have a hairdresser rent a chair I would probably do it on a % split rather then a daily rent & provide all products so that there was consistency with client colours etc. Maybe a % split might suit you better if you don’t think a set daily rate would make enough money for you, it’s just a bit more work, working out the percentage unless you have software that can do it automatically.

I would agree with what AcidPerm said and say whatever your hourly rate is then that would be your chair rental for the day as you would expect them to be busy for at least half of the day so once they have worked their 1st hour, they have covered rent and rest is theirs . I charge £40 a day for a MUA to rent a chair on a Saturday from me. She does brows, lashes & makeup. I don’t depend on the income to pay my bills, just wanted to be able to offer some additional services for my clients but If I was to have a hairdresser rent a chair I would probably do it on a % split rather then a daily rent & provide all products so that there was consistency with client colours etc. Maybe a % split might suit you better if you don’t think a set daily rate would make enough money for you, it’s just a bit more work, working out the percentage unless you have software that can do it automatically.
Yes I supply all products, I charge the booth renter for tubes of tint on top of the rental. but all peroxides, bleach powders, shampoos and conditioners, hairsprays refreshments etc. I’m very early stages of pregnancy atm and will need to go on maternity fingers crossed everything’s ok at the 12 weeks scan, but the lady will be in there by herself and I can’t have her costing me money when I’m not there xxxxxx

Thank you all who has replied to my thread, I’m so glad I posted on here!! All posts have given me food for thought and when I open on Saturday and now will feel when I interview potential sole traders will now no more of what I’m talking about.... just one more thing,
A contract I’m assuming would need to be signed by both parties?

It’s called a ‘terms and conditions’ rather than a contract. You can’t dictate days, hours, holidays, they have to pay you and be responsible for what they charge and their own monies xxx

And yes signed by both parties xx

As you're new to this, may I refer you to the thread regarding HMRC guidelines. If you stick within the guidelines, you're less likely to have a visit from the revenue inspectors.

http://www.salongeek.com/threads/hmrc-guidelines-for-determining-self-employment.295298/

Definitely get a draft contract drawn up setting out your expectations. Be prepared to negotiate the finer points with your lessee and once agreed, print out 2 copies for each of you to sign and date them. You will both then have something to refer to in the event of a disagreement.

Remember that as a landlord, you cannot dictate how the lessee chooses to run their business.

I pay £40 a week to rent my chair to do hair and makeup (its a small room in a beauty salon and I actualy get 2 chairs but have to provide all my own stock.) Im in a small town and only charge £15 for cut and bdry

Thank you again AcidPerm, I have a print out from my accountant regarding the HMRC. It has changed considerably, as to the sole trader renting an area! I will take all into consideration when writing up an ageeement with my solicitor.

Eloise I meant to say good luck with your pregnancy and I’m sure all will be fine!

Yes I supply all products, I charge the booth renter for tubes of tint on top of the rental. but all peroxides, bleach powders, shampoos and conditioners, hairsprays refreshments etc. I’m very early stages of pregnancy atm and will need to go on maternity fingers crossed everything’s ok at the 12 weeks scan, but the lady will be in there by herself and I can’t have her costing me money when I’m not there xxxxxx
The NHF have ready made rent a chair agreement contracts that are free if you are a member. Best of luck with your pregnancy. Hope you get it all sorted. I am considering a self employed option % split for my next hairdresser I take on in the future, it’s hard knowing which model to use!

Latest posts

Back