Renting a chair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairgurl

Reaction score
I’m currently renting a chair at a salon and I’m just interested to hear how it works for everyone else that’s doing this. I’m the only self employed one in my salon so the other 4 are on the salon booking system, I do my own with clients contacting me directly, the new ones usually find me via social media (but this is a bit infrequent). I pay a set amount of rent per week and don’t do any percentage payments apart from if it’s a salon client I’ve ended up doing, which only happens very occasionally. My problem is I’m not getting busy enough as new clients don’t know I’m here, of course I have my old client base of people I’ve done for years but I need some ways to advertise to new clients, as people don’t seem to understand how it works with me as an individual working in the salon but not working for them. The salon is a lot busier than I am and I often have empty half days while everyone else is fully booked. Is this how it normally is for anyone self employed? Just looking to maximise my business to its best potential really, whilst enjoying working in my salon with my colleagues (who have become friends).

I think you might have to seriously consider moving your business to another salon where either you’re the only hairdresser (in a Beauty salon) or everyone is self employed. Clearly you’re not going to benefit from many walk-ins because the salon reception will grab all of those.

What is your USP? What are your special skills? Could you become known for your incredible up-do’s/special occasion hair, for instance? You need to stand out. Where is your chair positioned? Do you have a corner that you can decorate to look more upmarket, for instance?

What promotions have you offered? Maybe a free glossing service with a restyle or special offers for certain days of the week that are less busy? Are you actively promoting your business every day or relying solely on social media/word of mouth?

Think about those large supermarkets where they have mini shops on the periphery of the store. Those shops are usually selling something that little bit different. So maybe a pharmacy that also sells shampoo and skin care products. Tesco sells shampoo and skincare but the mini pharmacy sells more high end brands.

You have to be different otherwise, you’re wasting your time.

I think you might have to seriously consider moving your business to another salon where either you’re the only hairdresser (in a Beauty salon) or everyone is self employed. Clearly you’re not going to benefit from many walk-ins because the salon reception will grab all of those.

What is your USP? What are your special skills? Could you become known for your incredible up-do’s/special occasion hair, for instance? You need to stand out. Where is your chair positioned? Do you have a corner that you can decorate to look more upmarket, for instance?

What promotions have you offered? Maybe a free glossing service with a restyle or special offers for certain days of the week that are less busy? Are you actively promoting your business every day or relying solely on social media/word of mouth?

Think about those large supermarkets where they have mini shops on the periphery of the store. Those shops are usually selling something that little bit different. So maybe a pharmacy that also sells shampoo and skin care products. Tesco sells shampoo and skincare but the mini pharmacy sells more high end brands.

You have to be different otherwise, you’re wasting your time.
My position is actually downstairs in the basement, where it definitely doesn’t look as nice as the rest of the salon. And I’m not actually allowed to take salon clients, that was part of the agreement that I would find all my own clients. I thought this would work by advertising on social media and it does to some extent, but very slow and obviously takes up a lot of time and energy. I used to work mobile so it was much easier to advertise online when I was on my own, now it’s confusing for clients and they don’t understand why they have to book with me directly rather than the normal way, I’m the only one that’s not on the salon booking system at reception. My rent is very very cheap, especially for the area I’m in and it’s a beautiful salon, great location for clients where they can park right outside the door, the clients all love the way the salon looks as it is quite posh and it has a lovely atmosphere. I think my business is doing well considering I find all my own clients, but it’s obviously so much slower than any normal salon hairdresser would be. And all the others are fully booked all the time turning people away!

Oh my!
You need to start thinking with your business head on, unless you’re only doing this as a hobby business, which is fine if that’s all you want it to be.

If you need this to be a proper income stream, then I recommend you start looking for a better fit somewhere else.

It sounds like the salon owner is already blurring the lines between employee/self employed person by telling you that you can’t service the salon clients. That’s not how it works.

Oh my!
You need to start thinking with your business head on, unless you’re only doing this as a hobby business, which is fine if that’s all you want it to be.

If you need this to be a proper income stream, then I recommend you start looking for a better fit somewhere else.

It sounds like the salon owner is already blurring the lines between employee/self employed person by telling you that you can’t service the salon clients. That’s not how it works.
I didn’t actually realise when I rented a chair I should have access to the salon clients, I thought it was basically an agreement to pay for me to work in a salon space doing my own clients (I have a regular client base who have all followed me here), but by relying solely on social media to get my clients to come to me, as I said it’s quite slow. I pay a set weekly rent and no percentage on clients obviously, so it literally is like I’m renting the chair and the space to work including the water and electricity etc. To run my own business from. It’s quite hard to run it though when I’m relegated downstairs to the basement where even my regular clients can’t see me when they come into reception, and it’s very poor lighting down there and just not as nicely done up as the rest of the salon.

Latest posts

Back