Renting a room, is it right for me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geekling

Reaction score
Hi geeks!
Just hoping some of you can offer me some advice.
I'm 18, at college 2 days a week doing my Level 3 Beauty therapy and work part time in accountancy 3 days a week.

I was going to open my mobile beauty business after passing my test (hopefully end of november)

But! I've just seen a room to rent, its in a great location and its either £150 a week or £35 a day.
Am I allowed to post the link to this???

I obviously could only have the room on a saturday & a few evenings through the week, I believe they only have 1 late night.

Anyway, the one family member I have spoken to isn't sure on the idea. They are not sure I'm ready for renting a room, but personally I feel its better and more importantly safer to be in a shop environment rather than mobile. My main problem is treatments such as shellac & Brisa gel are taking me quite a long time, I have recently converted to Brisa and have found the transition quite hard. (I am looking to book my shellac class for start of december)

I would be offering Shellac manicure/pedicure, Brisa gel enhancements, Spray tanning, alongside Children's parties and spray tanning parties. Of course for the latter I would need to go mobile which I wouldn't mind.

I have everything ready for going mobile, which could quite easily be moved over into a room...

Can you please give me a hand and offer your opinions?

Thank you!!

Just to add, I'm actually thinking about leaving my level 3 beauty as I'm not enjoying it and doing nails next year instead, which would mean I would want the room 3 days a week if I did this xxxx

Can you see if you can do a month's trial?

If you are only there 1 day, will someome else be renting it the other days? If so, your hard work and effort may go into the other therapists pocket, not yours.

Having a base is a good idea, but lots of things you need to weigh up-
  • you have to pay rent money out and is always the chance that you might have 0 clients.
  • will you get a contract at the place and how strict is it?
  • what is the existing clientelle like? will you have instant client base or have you got to build from scratch?
  • what kind of feel do you get from the salon? do you like the image they give off and the other staff?
  • what is the competition in the area?
As well as loads of other questions. My gut instinct would be it's a waste not to carry on with your level 3 (presumably you already started it?) unless of course you are sure you never want to practice any of those treatments in the future.

When does the salon need to know by?

Hi thanks for your reply!!! I would be using it 1 day a week and one evening. Iv spoken to the lady and she has said if I wanted the room to myself (with no one using it) I would have to book it 3 days a week! But I should be finished by June next year, it's a fantastic location and is currently being re-done.
Clients are already there as they had another beauty therapist in. They are in the right age range for what I would like!

I agree that leaving college would be a shame when I'm half way through!! Thanks again for your reply! I just think it's a big opportunity to miss! :)

Just bumping a little :)

Can you see if you can do a month's trial?

If you are only there 1 day, will someome else be renting it the other days? If so, your hard work and effort may go into the other therapists pocket, not yours.

Having a base is a good idea, but lots of things you need to weigh up-
  • you have to pay rent money out and is always the chance that you might have 0 clients.
  • will you get a contract at the place and how strict is it?
  • what is the existing clientelle like? will you have instant client base or have you got to build from scratch?
  • what kind of feel do you get from the salon? do you like the image they give off and the other staff?
  • what is the competition in the area?
As well as loads of other questions. My gut instinct would be it's a waste not to carry on with your level 3 (presumably you already started it?) unless of course you are sure you never want to practice any of those treatments in the future.

When does the salon need to know by?

Wise words
Definitely look into the area and work out whether it is an area where people have money to spend on themselves.
See what they have to offer and think carefully about whether its for you. It can really eat into your takings.
I used to rent a room. They said rent included print runs in the contract but then started charging me for it further down the line.
they also started getting very agitated when I did some therapies from home as my Facebook business pages main header was the salon name but I clearly stated that certain treatments I was unable to do from the rented room as the facilities wouldn't allow it.
They also got stroppy and made remarks when it came to me taking holidays so be careful of that too.

Hia, the area is good, its pretty weathly area & there is quite abit of disposable income, I contacted the salon and the age range that they have is also what I was trying to hit.
Yes, I'v worked out it would be £420 a month for the room, which is pretty much the whole of my part time work wage.

I have all my own printing & also my own website etc so I would be separate from the salon.

I don't know what to do, I'd basically be paying for the next 6 months for the 3 days but only using it 1/2 but it would be mine to re-decorate if I wanted etc but it would be perfect once i'm finished college in June.

Argh, I hate it when good opportunities arise and I don't know what to do!!

Well I suppose if you do take it on and pay to have it for the 3 days but just work the one day and eve (think that's what you meant anyway) between now and leaving college, you do have probably at least 6 weeks of holidays from college in that time where you could work at the salon. Generally Christmas and Easter especially are busy times with people wanting things done and you would be available anyway when you're off college.

It's only a decision you can weigh up. On the one hand, it's a lot of monthly outgoings that you need to earn on top of what you buy for your stock, so you could earn all that and end up with no profit. But then that is quite normal in the first year at least of a new business venture. You have to decide if you are willing to let your other job's earnings be absorbed into this new business.

If you go mobile, it may be harder to build up your clients( you won't have the ready made clients that sound like the salon have), but then you can work 6 evenings if you wanted to (wouldn't recommend it though!) and you would be flexible to do clients in any gaps you had, not limited to the salon's opening times.

Why not see if you can see clients outside of their opening times or if they will only let you come when they are open. Also, do ask to see the diaries of the other therapist who worked there. So you can get an idea of how busy she really was, not always enough to take their word for it!

A side point, you mentioned earlier about spray tan parties I think you said, and that you could still do those mobile. I think you need to honestly sit down and think can you do both. It is quite a commitment once you are tied in to renting somewhere (paying rent while you're sick or on holiday) and would you really then want to be bothered with the hassle of mobile work as well as the salon as well as your part time job. You don't want to spread yourself too thin.

As I said before, only you can decide. I think if it were me, with your limited availability, I'd be tempted to go mobile as then more of what you earn is profit. Do think hard about staying on at college because free education is something you miss when you get into your 30's and wish you had just done it when you had the chance. You may even be able to do an evening course one night a week for free, (perhaps a nail course?) as long as you are enrolled on a full time course. Loads of my beauty students did this and I was quite jealous! They did nail courses, theatrical make up courses, nail art courses- all free because they were under 19 and on their 'full time' (although only about 16 hrs a week) beauty course!

I would make a pros and cons list if I were you. I think your heart is probably set on the room, but let your head do some thinking and get other family members input. They are usually brutally honest. And you can't always see clearly when your heads in the clouds dreaming of the possibilites!

All the best xx

Thank you so much for your reply!! I have emailed the girl asking if I would have access to the salon beyond their opening times, as this would certainly offer me the chance to do clients around the times that I can.

Some very thought provoking points, I will defiantly do a list of pros and cons, and I think your totally right with regards to having my heart set on it. My thinking was most of my wage would go on a car anyway, with regards to insurance(mad at my age) and then adding business use to it, petrol and then maintenance of the car all add up.

With regards to course I defiantly will stay on my course like you say it's free and that doesn't happen much. We've had a bad few weeks with our course the past few weeks and I came to the point of dreading going but things seem as though they may pick up a little.

Also, like you say the college holidays tend to hit busy spots anyway so that would be a benefit to me.

I was thinking of contacting the owner after she replies with my questions and maybe asking if she would compromise on the rent whilst I am still at college (I know this may seem cheeky but I was thinking that not too many people would be looking for a room at the moment and that it was possible she won't have had too much interest) and asking if she would take £300/£350 a month for the time being and that I would up this once I finished college. Xxxx

I've just heard back from the lady who I contacted, she has said I would have my own salon key so say if I wanted to stay until 9pm on a Friday I would be able to although the actual hair salon would be closed, all bills are included in the rent price apart from the card machine, which I wouldn't really want to use anyway.

Also she has said realistically it would be best to do 1 day a week, Saturday & an evening.

Which would possibly be OK after Christmas as my class are being mixed in with the part time group as we will be studying the same? I don't think it would be too much different to go part time (we are only there 2 days anyway?)

What do you ladies think? Xxx

I've just heard back from the lady who I contacted, she has said I would have my own salon key so say if I wanted to stay until 9pm on a Friday I would be able to although the actual hair salon would be closed, all bills are included in the rent price apart from the card machine, which I wouldn't really want to use anyway.

Also she has said realistically it would be best to do 1 day a week, Saturday & an evening.

Which would possibly be OK after Christmas as my class are being mixed in with the part time group as we will be studying the same? I don't think it would be too much different to go part time (we are only there 2 days anyway?)

What do you ladies think? Xxx

Well it sounds like it's coming together. I think for your outgoings it will be best to do a day and an evening. If no one else shows interest though, you may be able to increase that when your on hols.

What did she say about rent negotiation? Make sure you get a quote in writing and contract. And I would only take it on a trial basis.

Maybe true that more outgoings on car if you haven't got yet or even passed your test. What did your family say??

xx

Thanks!! Well I'm going to see the room Wednesday so I was going to speak to her about rent neg then, I think it seems better face to face. My dad thinks it would be better for me with regards to having a base, he also thinks it will be safer for me rather than mobile. He also thinks it will be better for business as they already have hair clients there...
He's offered to pay part of my rent for me if I take it until I'm up and running.
Haven't spoken to my mum about it as she isn't very supportive in my having a career in beauty in the first place.

I'm not sure but I will go and see the room, see what the woman says and what she thinks I suppose!

I agree with taking it on a trail basis, as I think I defiantly need to know about how the salon is etc before I agree to anything!

Do you think £300 is a fair offer? Thank you so much for your help so far, it really is hard when you only have 2 men to speak to about these kind of things!! Lol! Xx

P.s with regards to the spray tan parties, I would still have to do them as I have 1000 price lists upstairs with spray tan parties & children's parties on! :) x

I would say go and get a job at a nice salon. 1 or 2 or even 3 days a week. Be an assistant even, minimum wage, anything, anything to get experience. You NEED experience.
It's very hard to improve if you have noone to learn from.
Knowing what I know now after 17 years in this business I would never advise anyone to go on their own with no experience.

In my opinion it's not worth to invest in all the furniture, products, all the tools, towels, website, business insurance to work 1-2 days a week.
If you are planning start out with "little bit of this and little bit of that" and no experience- don't expect to make good money at it.

Also, I dont think working limited days works at all. When times are slow I'm at the salon 6 days a week, almost 12 hrs to get all possible appoitments.
In the summer when I'm booked weeks in advance I do have luxury working only 5 days a week 12 hrs each day because I know that I will be able to make my rent, pay all expenses and put away money for slower months.
Today I sat all day at the salon for 2 clients. One at 11 am and the other at 6pm. It's slow now and I wouldn't dream about refusing anyone.

When opening a new business be prepared to work loooong hours. I once rented space in a salon that just opened. The owner (with 15 year experience) moved from another town and only 1/2 clients followed.
I swear the guy worked 7 days a week. 9 am - 7pm and maybe 6pm on the weekends. To establish himself.
That's reality

Did you write a business plan? Did you do the math?

You asked if 300 is OK. In reality noone will be able to tell you.
It seems to me that you dont have a plan. We don't know how much you charge, how long it takes you to provide the services, what is the quality of your services, how much is your insurance, your phone bill, your bookkeeper, accountant, POS system, advertising (don't cout that the salon is gonna bring you clients, truet me) etc.
How much do you wanna make an hour?

When opening a business don't count on making an income for a while. How long can you survive on limited income?
When I moved locations for a year I paid myself $1000 a month and I invested the rest of the money back into the business, to have cash flow, to be able to hire receptionist and a part time nail tech

Last edited:
I would say go and get a job at a nice salon. 1 or 2 or even 3 days a week. Be an assistant even, minimum wage, anything, anything to get experience. You NEED experience.
It's very hard to improve if you have noone to learn from.
Knowing what I know now after 17 years in this business I would never advise anyone to go on their own with no experience.

In my opinion it's not worth to invest in all the furniture, products, all the tools, towels, website, business insurance to work 1-2 days a week.
If you are planning start out with "little bit of this and little bit of that" and no experience- don't expect to make good money at it.

Also, I dont think working limited days works at all. When times are slow I'm at the salon 6 days a week, almost 12 hrs to get all possible appoitments.
In the summer when I'm booked weeks in advance I do have luxury working only 5 days a week 12 hrs each day because I know that I will be able to make my rent, pay all expenses and put away money for slower months.
Today I sat all day at the salon for 2 clients. One at 11 am and the other at 6pm. It's slow now and I wouldn't dream about refusing anyone.

When opening a new business be prepared to work loooong hours. I once rented space in a salon that just opened. The owner (with 15 year experience) moved from another town and only 1/2 clients followed.
I swear the guy worked 7 days a week. 9 am - 7pm and maybe 6pm on the weekends. To establish himself.
That's reality

Did you write a business plan? Did you do the math?

You asked if 300 is OK. In reality noone will be able to tell you.
It seems to me that you dont have a plan. We don't know how much you charge, how long it takes you to provide the services, what is the quality of your services, how much is your insurance, your phone bill, your bookkeeper, accountant, POS system, advertising (don't cout that the salon is gonna bring you clients, truet me) etc.
How much do you wanna make an hour?

When opening a business don't count on making an income for a while. How long can you survive on limited income?
When I moved locations for a year I paid myself $1000 a month and I invested the rest of the money back into the business, to have cash flow, to be able to hire receptionist and a part time nail tech

Thank you for your reply! I can't get a job in a salon as I'm at work 3 days, and college the other 2. With a room or mobile I can do treatments out of the times. It wouldn't be a little bit of this and that as at first it would just be nails & spray tanning which I already have everything for, I wouldn't be buying anything else to go into the room, as I have it all :)
With regards to putting the hours in I totally understand that, I know I would have to do every time that I can and that's what I would be doing but I can't do the days that I work.
I have worked out all my costs, how much I would like to earn per hour but it would seem a little too much to add that all into my first post?
I wouldn't need a bookkeeper or accountant as I work in an financial advisors in accounts so I can do it myself.

With regards to income that's exactly why I want to keep my part time job, it gives me something to fall back on if I can't make my rent for that month etc.
Thank you for your input and I will certainly take it on board :) xx

hey geekling, just quickly reading (as Im on my lunch at work, shhhhh). My inital thoughts are wow! thats expensive! where abouts is the salon? Im expecting you saying somewhere like Gosforth with those prices. I am renting a salon in the Gateshead area and have negotiated a percentage rather than a set fee. previous to that the hair salon that I was going to rent 2 or 3 days (in Houghton le Spring) was £50 per week. I would be very wary agreeing to pay that much initially unless you are choc a block for the full few days. Work out what you could potenitally earn with the treatments you offer. I would just negotiate with her, be shrewd. Just say, I love the room but the rent is just too much for what I would be able to make. Suggest something lower. Go in with a percentage if you can. £600 a month, Im sure you could rent a whole salon of your own for that. best of luck with whatever you do.

just a quick look, here is one in Morpeth at only £50 a week!
Sam Allan Estates}

another one in cramlington - commerical property you may be able to convert the use for £260/month
http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/17271707?search_identifier=85c6f0bded27f4f34df7346a5aed61a8

and this is a shop for the same price as she is going to charge you.
http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/17734506?search_identifier=85c6f0bded27f4f34df7346a5aed61a8

I know some of them would need more work than you want to put in, but I just wanted to show you so you have something to make a comparison to. best of luck

Last edited:
Why wouldn't you be able to work somewhere 1-2 days, or evenings?
I have someone working for me 2 x week....

Thank you for your reply! I can't get a job in a salon as I'm at work 3 days, and college the other 2. With a room or mobile I can do treatments out of the times. It wouldn't be a little bit of this and that as at first it would just be nails & spray tanning which I already have everything for, I wouldn't be buying anything else to go into the room, as I have it all :)
With regards to putting the hours in I totally understand that, I know I would have to do every time that I can and that's what I would be doing but I can't do the days that I work.
I have worked out all my costs, how much I would like to earn per hour but it would seem a little too much to add that all into my first post?
I wouldn't need a bookkeeper or accountant as I work in an financial advisors in accounts so I can do it myself.

With regards to income that's exactly why I want to keep my part time job, it gives me something to fall back on if I can't make my rent for that month etc.
Thank you for your input and I will certainly take it on board :) xx

Sorry to be the one to look at it from the salon owners perspective - I wouldn't want to take someone who only can do 1 day a week. I'd offer it to whoever enhances my business too as it works both ways.
I would say get some salon experience first, even if it's a placement whilst training. I promise it will make a difference. Some people in affluent areas expect very high standards and may moan at your progressive skills as they want a more educated and experienced therapist.
But please don't take this the wrong way and be offended.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:
hey geekling, just quickly reading (as Im on my lunch at work, shhhhh). My inital thoughts are wow! thats expensive! where abouts is the salon? Im expecting you saying somewhere like Gosforth with those prices. I am renting a salon in the Gateshead area and have negotiated a percentage rather than a set fee. previous to that the hair salon that I was going to rent 2 or 3 days (in Houghton le Spring) was £50 per week. I would be very wary agreeing to pay that much initially unless you are choc a block for the full few days. Work out what you could potenitally earn with the treatments you offer. I would just negotiate with her, be shrewd. Just say, I love the room but the rent is just too much for what I would be able to make. Suggest something lower. Go in with a percentage if you can. £600 a month, Im sure you could rent a whole salon of your own for that. best of luck with whatever you do.

Hia, your correct it is in Gosforth, on the high street!
I agree that it is a lot, but it was the location that caught my eye! Iv decided not to go for it now, I couldn't afford (for the amount of time I have to work) and I'm not sure it is right for me after reading everyone's points, not until I'm finished college anyway :) xxx

Latest posts

Back