Renting a room- staff discounts and percentages

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makeupandbeauty

Reaction score
Hi all

I've been reading through lots of renting room threads and was hoping for some advice. I'm putting together some things to clarify with the salon owner-she has a hair salon and I will be renting the room for beauty treatments. We're working on a 50/50% basis, whereby she will be providing the products and equipment. She has very much been asking if I am ok with everything opposed to telling me, and I will reiterate that I am a business within a business. But there are a few things I wanted to run past you guys.

She said that she and the other stuff would get 50% discount"if it was ok with me" and that I would also get discount with her. I am happy to stand up and say no as I know it's my business but I am genuinely happy to have a staff discount arrangement, I just want it to be a fair one. My feeling is that it has to be when there are no clients booked in and if a client wants the appointment then they take priority and aren't turned away. I also feel that there are 4 of them, and I have a variety of treatments-they could be booking in all the time for nails, tan, facials, waxing etc whereas I am only going to get my hair cut and coloured once a month at the most, although I appreciate it costs more as a single treatment. How can I manage this from the outset? Initially whilst I am quiet I guess something is better than nothing, and as long as I'm not turning clients away? Does anyone have any thoughts?

Second of all, I also do makeup treatments and I'll be advertising to do them at the salon. Obviously this wouldn't be 50/50 as its my makeup, she's told me to let her know what percentage I am happy with. I don't know what to suggest, I will have to put my prices up a little to account for this. Would you say 80/20 or 70/30? I really have no idea!

Thanks for your help!

With regards to staff discount, why not suggest you run with it on a trial basis for a couple of months and then review whether it's working out ok.

I agree that it's sensible for the discounted treatments to be taken during a quiet slot but also require that the stylists actively promote your treatments to their hair clients by talking about them from the perspective of a satisfied customer. win:win

Yeah I think I'll do that [emoji2] Thankyou!

Latest posts

Back