Renting a room

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geekling

Reaction score
Hi All, :biggrin:
Just wanting some info on renting a room!
I was planning on going mobile, but now love the idea of having a room!

I work full time at the moment in a totally different sector, but was thinking of trying to go down to 4 days a week and trying to rent a room on a Friday and Saturday.

I have most of my products, as I was thinking of mobile and already have a couch (which I would have to sell as it is FAR to heavy for mobile)

What do you guys think? I know I maybe should get some salon experience but if im honest I really hate the idea of working in one of my local salons! I just could not be employed by some of the people (How snotty did that sound?! Haha, it really wasnt ment to be!)

I have a slight client base already built up, friends of family etc.

Do any of you rent a room?
How do you find it? Do you get many clients?

Any advice or recomendations welcome!
Thankyou :)

id be interested to know too

I rent a room for the whole week but only work in it on friday and saturday as I work in another salon the rest of the week until I get busier.

It's tough but I love it. I have made my rent all but 1 week since the start of March which is good going considering I only do 2 hours on a saturday.

I can't advise on renting a room before gaining experience but if you feel ready then why not? There are so many things to take into account but it's incredibly rewarding.

I think the best thing to do would be to investigate the going rate for a room in your area. Then work out rough prices, then how many clients you could see in a day. Do you have money left to cover stock and wages after that?

Think it through carefully, search on here for similar threads and take your time to decide. I found SG an excellent resource for when I opened my room, I scoured threads for hours looking for tips.

Good luck, I hope you make the right decision for YOU x

I rent a room for the whole week but only work in it on friday and saturday as I work in another salon the rest of the week until I get busier.

It's tough but I love it. I have made my rent all but 1 week since the start of March which is good going considering I only do 2 hours on a saturday.

I can't advise on renting a room before gaining experience but if you feel ready then why not? There are so many things to take into account but it's incredibly rewarding.

I think the best thing to do would be to investigate the going rate for a room in your area. Then work out rough prices, then how many clients you could see in a day. Do you have money left to cover stock and wages after that?

Think it through carefully, search on here for similar threads and take your time to decide. I found SG an excellent resource for when I opened my room, I scoured threads for hours looking for tips.

Good luck, I hope you make the right decision for YOU x
Aww thats amazing well done!
Thankyou for your help! How did you find your room? Iv searched on google but nothing comes up!

I work full time at the moment, so for me as long as I am up and running and paying for stock etc thats fine by me :) xxx

Thankyou again!!

I started renting a room in march 2011 and it just got busier and busier, in may of thise year i took on the bigger room and had a st tropez booth installed and im mega busy.. I absolutely love it and wouldnt change a thing.. But its very hard work.. Having your own business is always goin to be harder than working for someone else.. But if you feel ready and are prepared to work hard then go for it :)
I did work in a salon for 3yrs part time and it did help with my confidence but theres no reason you shouldnt go ahead if you feel like you can do it..
So far i havent had any problems making my rent **touch wood** lol.. But im busier than ever.. I work tues-sat and am often there 9-7..
I really do reccomend it, its the best things i ever did and at the time it was a massive risk as i had a very small client base!!

Good luck if you go for it :)

Wow! Thats amazing! Well done!
Im totally prepared to work hard, this is something I really want to do! :)
Just hoping I can find a room now!!

Thankyou for the reply!

i looked at renting room, but found in my area very difficult, plus im holistic not beauty, so i started up from home, luckily i have a spare room, dont know what your situation is, but found clients like the quietness of it, away from busy salons, and i can keep cost down, i also do most of my advertising on FB, again free and advertise in local mags xx

I really wanted a home salon, but unfortunately can't now due to a change in circumstance so now trying to look into different things I could do! :) glad your home salon is going well though! I love the idea of going to a home salon!

Latest posts

Back