Renting a room

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pure

Reaction score
I have been to see a room to rent as a salon today. It is lovely. Downstairs is a small hair salon and the woman I would be renting from is the sole hairdresser, there is also a storage room, kitchen, bathroom, and upstairs is a room about 8 or 9 foot square. I has all been newly decorating with new flooring too and this would be my salon.

The rent is £50 per week and is inclusive of all additional bills like rates, electricity, heating etc.

I have to let her know tomorrow.

The salon is open between 9am-5pm Tues - Sat and i would be able to work any hours I like between those times which would suit me fine because of the children.

Heres the thing........I'm so excited that I don't want to jump headfirst into this without thinking, so what should I be asking her? We've already discussed hours, and any agreement would be on a monthly basis for us both, but what else do I need to know?

:Scared::green::Scared::green:

Hiya, What about advertising? Does she do any advertising for the hair salon and if so would she be including you in that. If not, will she allow you to put posters etc in the window or an A frame outside the shop.

Is it on a busy main road where you are likely to get a lot of passing trade. What type of clientele does it attract. Also as your room would be not in the main body of the shop, without the posters etc in the window how will people know you are there.

Will anybody else have access to your room when you are not around?

If you do spray tanning I have found most of my clients want them after work say 6pm ish, so if you are stuck with 9-5pm this may affect your tanning clients.

Will you be able to have any retail space in the salon?

I am sure there is lots more that I will think of once I have hit the respond button - lol. Going off to do a spray myself now, so will check in later for more responses.

Good luck though, hope it all works out well.

Wow £50 a week is brilliant ! That would be my dream rent :green:

I would ask about security, can you lock the room etc

Also how noisy is the salon ? Im guessing it wouldn't be to bad if she is the only hair stylist. The reason I ask is that is the one problem ive always had in hair salons, when you are doing a massage or facials you don't want doors banging, music blaring and hair dryers in background I have to let everyone know when i have these treatments in to minimise the noise but it is never complete silence :cry:

Is the rent fixed at 50pw ? I would confirm how long it will be set at this rate and how often it will be reviewed you don't want any nasty suprises in 6 months time !

Is there a card machine ? would you be able to use it for taking payments and if so how much ?

Is this the same one you were going to rent the nail station from ?

Sounds really good to me, even if she doesn't do advertising i wouldn't mind as the amount you are saving on rent could be invested in loads of advertising.

£50 a week is fantastic! Especially if it is newly refurbished. I have seen rooms in hair salons that were old and grotty and they were askin £250 a week!

Ask to see a draft rental agreement though so you can check everything through.

So did you decide if you were going to rent the room ??

Wow £50 a week is brilliant ! That would be my dream rent :green:

I would ask about security, can you lock the room etc

Also how noisy is the salon ? Im guessing it wouldn't be to bad if she is the only hair stylist. The reason I ask is that is the one problem ive always had in hair salons, when you are doing a massage or facials you don't want doors banging, music blaring and hair dryers in background I have to let everyone know when i have these treatments in to minimise the noise but it is never complete silence :cry:

Is the rent fixed at 50pw ? I would confirm how long it will be set at this rate and how often it will be reviewed you don't want any nasty suprises in 6 months time !

Is there a card machine ? would you be able to use it for taking payments and if so how much ?

Is this the same one you were going to rent the nail station from ?

Sounds really good to me, even if she doesn't do advertising i wouldn't mind as the amount you are saving on rent could be invested in loads of advertising.

Fab advice Juliette as per usual.

So did you decide if you were going to rent the room ??

I did.......and I am!!:green:

God it's so scary and exciting all at the same time.:lol:
There are suddenly so many things to think about, jobs that I need to do, things to buy. I've done some of the fun things today, buying a mirror, frames to display my certificates, candles etc.:) Just need to organise some shelving and a storage cupboard, trolleys, advertising, changing the details on my leaflets so it no longer shows mobile and I'm sure that there are a dozen other things to think of too.

I will try and remember to take before and after photos of the room to post. I will hopefully be opening in a week or so, so it's busy, busy, busy.:green:

Fantastic news Debs ... keeping everything crossed for you and wishing you a full appointment book! :hug:

Wow £50 a week is brilliant ! That would be my dream rent :green: Mine too!!!!!

I would ask about security, can you lock the room etc yes

Also how noisy is the salon ? Im guessing it wouldn't be to bad if she is the only hair stylist. The reason I ask is that is the one problem ive always had in hair salons, when you are doing a massage or facials you don't want doors banging, music blaring and hair dryers in background I have to let everyone know when i have these treatments in to minimise the noise but it is never complete silence :cry: It won't be a problem because there is just the one stylist there, and the room is not only at the back of the building but it is the only upstairs room also. The window looks out onto a private courtyard.

Is the rent fixed at 50pw ? I would confirm how long it will be set at this rate and how often it will be reviewed you don't want any nasty suprises in 6 months time ! We have agreed to review the rent in 6 months time but the agreement will be run on a monthly basis.

Is there a card machine ? would you be able to use it for taking payments and if so how much ? No, all payments are my responsibility.

Is this the same one you were going to rent the nail station from ? No, another one!

Sounds really good to me, even if she doesn't do advertising i wouldn't mind as the amount you are saving on rent could be invested in loads of advertising. All advertising I will do, but she has said that if things go really well in a few months she will add the 'Pure Beauty' name to the salon awning at the front.

As this is my first time renting I'm sure I'm going to come up against things I haven't thought about yet but so far, (and fingers crossed) everything sounds like it should work well.:)

Sounds like a great opportunity to me, wish my rent was that low ! :green:

Just wanted to wish you luck for your new venture.
I rent a room in a hairdressers and I love it, all the advice you haven given is great but I am sure you will work things out, the normal teething problems!

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Jacqui

I've just been offered a room above a hairdressers but she's asked for £60 a week!

I've just been offered a room above a hairdressers but she's asked for £60 a week!

Still a bargain I think!:)

Well I have now ordered and received most of my furniture and trolley's etc although the waxing one I wanted is on back order for 21 days!:rolleyes: I have just spoken to the local paper about advertising and I think I've just gained a new waxing client with the lady I spoke to there!:lol:

My first client is booked in for Thursday morning so I am going to be busy, busy, busy over the next few days.:eek:

My first client is booked in for Thursday morning so I am going to be busy, busy, busy over the next few days.:eek:

how are you getting on?
are you excited?

good luck sounds exciting :hug:

Wow!!! This is so exciting Really pleased for you!! It's been interesting to read this,I will have to take some notes from it so I know what to ask next Wednesday!!
Good luck you!! Hope Thursday's fun!!!

how brilliant for you debbie:hug:

The rent is a bargain!!
Good luck xx

Heck - I've just realized that I have my first client on Thursday morning and no chairs!!:eek:

Where on earth can I get a couple of good (cheap :lol:) chairs by then????:grr::grr::grr:

Heck - I've just realized that I have my first client on Thursday morning and no chairs!!:eek:

Where on earth can I get a couple of good (cheap :lol:) chairs by then????:grr::grr::grr:

IKEA?

Latest posts

Back