Renting a space in a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayleigh12

Reaction score
So ladies I am a onwer of a hair and beauty salon and all my girls are self employed now my nail tech has gone and booked her self onto a blow dry course and wants to do it in the salon what do I do becouse I only took her on as a nail tech not a hairdresser... also one of my other girls has gone and done her own products and I do that to but she wants to put them in the salon and sell them is she allowed to do that

Imagine if I owned the building but I rented the salon out to you. How would you feel if I then told you what products to use, what services to provide, when to open and close and how much to charge? Would you think that was ok?

Imagine if I owned the building but I rented the salon out to you. How would you feel if I then told you what products to use, what services to provide, when to open and close and how much to charge? Would you think that was ok?

It’s only the same if you rent a house some people are not allowed to paint walls or put pictures up

It's very different, even in tenancy it's different, residential and commercial contracts are not the same thing. You are renting a place of work, they are running their own business, it just happens to be under the same roof as yours.

The products and how much the self employed girl charges for her products is allowed. But the agreement of your nail tech wanting to offer blowdries would be on the agreement of what you employed her under, it seems like she is taking the p...

If they are wanting extra space for products you need to charge them for the space if you agree to it personally I wouldn't allow it. I don't know of any salons that do. a lot of big chain salons have self employed staff now but they are not allowed to bring their own products in to sell they just rent the chair. Its your business at the end of the day its your choice.

It's very different, even in tenancy it's different, residential and commercial contracts are not the same thing. You are renting a place of work, they are running their own business, it just happens to be under the same roof as yours.

Thank you so much this is how I feel it’s my shop so I can do what I want but they all don’t like it so I am just the big bad wolf at the moment. What would you do if the nail tech now wants to do blow drys aswell as nails

The products and how much the self employed girl charges for her products is allowed. But the agreement of your nail tech wanting to offer blowdries would be on the agreement of what you employed her under, it seems like she is taking the p...

There her own brand products with her business name on that she wants to sell in my shop . Yes I no I told her that and she said she can do what she wants becouse she self employed but it’s in my salon

I strongly you suggest seeking advice from hmrc as you could be liable to holiday and pensions if the girl decides to call them herself to check. Better you be in the know to avoid a hefty bill. It could also be seen as a VAT dodge. Pls pls call them.

I strongly you suggest seeking advice from hmrc as you could be liable to holiday and pensions if the girl decides to call them herself to check. Better you be in the know to avoid a hefty bill. It could also be seen as a VAT dodge. Pls pls call them.

What do u mean ?

There her own brand products with her business name on that she wants to sell in my shop . Yes I no I told her that and she said she can do what she wants becouse she self employed but it’s in my salon
Your self employed staff seem to be running riot. I am self employed in my salon, I earn 45% of every service. Any products sold in the salon (matrix, pureology & loreal and kerastase) I get commission for selling the product. All colours I use within the salon are free too, I don't have to buy any. I still get my holiday pay. There are different ways to being self employed and the way you're girls are self employed causes an absolute riot. It is individualist individuals that are running their own business within your business.

Your self employed staff seem to be running riot. I am self employed in my salon, I earn 45% of every service. Any products sold in the salon (matrix, pureology & loreal and kerastase) I get commission for selling the product. All colours I use within the salon are free too, I don't have to buy any. I still get my holiday pay. There are different ways to being self employed and the way you're girls are self employed causes an absolute riot. It is individualist individuals that are running their own business within your business.

In the uk this would be seen as employments and your employer would be fined and have to pay your pension aswell. X

What do u mean ?

Call hmrc and ask them what your self employed staff are/are not allowed to do. Lots of employers do not want to employ ppl so they can avoid paying VAT as their earnings would be over the VAT threshold had the self employed been employed. It’s extremely frowned upon and hmrc take it very seriously if you are in fact employing ppl rather than having them self employed. There are guidelines for you to make sure you are doing things correctly and if you are unsure I would ring them instead of assuming as you could be liable for their holiday pay, pensions and a fine if found to be renting space incorrectly. Xxxx

So basically they just pay me £20 a day that it they bet there own clients , own colours , own products there own everything I am basically just a base for them but they like to try and want more from me

So basically they just pay me £20 a day that it they bet there own clients , own colours , own products there own everything I am basically just a base for them but they like to try and want more from me

This seems particularly cheap.... what does it include? Xxxxx

I am self employed in my salon, I earn 45% of every service. Any products sold in the salon (matrix, pureology & loreal and kerastase) I get commission for selling the product. All colours I use within the salon are free too, I don't have to buy any. I still get my holiday pay..

This is not self employment.
You cannot be self employed and receive holiday pay.
How have you been recording your holiday pay for self assessment?

Thank you so much this is how I feel it’s my shop so I can do what I want but they all don’t like it so I am just the big bad wolf at the moment. What would you do if the nail tech now wants to do blow drys aswell as nails

If she wants to do hair services she needs to rent a chair simple as that. She is using your water and electricity to carry out the service. Basically she is taking you for a fool and I wouldn't stand for it!

She’s renting space in your salon to run her own business.
It doesn’t matter whether you call it space to rent/rent a nail desk/rent-a-chair.
She is entitled to offer whatever services she wants to including ‘blow dry’s/hair up, whatever.
She’s entitled to charge whatever she wants to, even if this means undercutting your prices.

If you want to control any aspect of what she can do, you have to employ her.
It’s really that simple!

I would tell the nail tech that the agreement was for nails and if she wants to do hair too then to find another salon as it doesn’t suit your business needs or charge extra for the use of the hair chair as well as the nail bar.
They may be self employed but when you took them on it was for set days and services which is what both parties agreed to at the time. If they want to change the agreement you have to renegotiate terms and extra days/ hours will incur additional charges.

Latest posts

Back