Renting again...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louise

Dizzy geek
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this has been posted before but i wanted your advice on the sitution ive been offered.

Where i get my hair cut the hair dresser there has offered me to do nails.

I am thinking at first i can only do Saturdays as this is what will fit in with my hubbie & little boy. The hairdresser has said he will want a small percentage at first~need to confirm with him how much. He also said he was thinking about putting a nail desk in the front of his shop~ but i donyt know if this is a good think, as with the smell, dust & also if i am not too busy then i dont think it will look that proffessional.

Also i only have 3 regular clients at the mo, so it means i wont be taking any clientel with me,i am going to have to advertise like mad! But i though i could maybe offer a free file & polish to clients having their hair done & then give them one of my leaflets advisn that a manicure would be benifical etc etc!

How does all this sound, sorry its a bit of an uneven post its just its early days yet. I think i will arrange a meeting with him next week any one any pointers for me!

Many thanks x

Hi hun, trust me you want to be right at the front of the shop, if you can you want to be sat in the window.
two reasons 1 the natural light 2 when people walk past they will say 'oh I didn't know they do nails here.' I nearly always get a walk in while I am sitting doing someone elses nails. Also do a nail art board and stick that in the shop window it screms nails here louder than any leaflet or poster
Free shape and file to all hair custermers sounds good but make them sit in your window, they are your free advert.
I would say don't do a intro price because peeps don't like it when you put them up, better is normal price with free solar oil with every set or free nail art. Always better to give a bit more than to take a bit less, yes I know its the same thing, but its how its worded.
Good luck hun.;)

Go for it Louise - get in the front line. You need to be seen and I would rather be sitting at the window that an area at at or out the back of the shop where the general clientelle don't see you. By all means, you can give a complimentary shape and polish but I think you would be best doing a promotional £5 shape and polish for the first two weeks. The clients don't need to be sat at your station, you could do it while they are getting their hair done. Be flexible and adapt to the situation. It depends on the salon and how limited clients are with time.

Remember, the hairdresser has approached you and wants you! I think 25% max if you are providing your own products, etc. AND, remember, you are the best! Good luck!

Urban Geek said:
Go for it Louise - get in the front line. You need to be seen and I would rather be sitting at the window that an area at at or out the back of the shop where the general clientelle don't see you. By all means, you can give a complimentary shape and polish but I think you would be best doing a promotional £5 shape and polish for the first two weeks. The clients don't need to be sat at your station, you could do it while they are getting their hair done. Be flexible and adapt to the situation. It depends on the salon and how limited clients are with time.

Remember, the hairdresser has approached you and wants you! I think 25% max if you are providing your own products, etc. AND, remember, you are the best! Good luck!

This is great advise...chris has raised some good points!
Clients do love to have their nails done whilst having their hair done, it helps them to feel really pampered!

If you decide you wanna go for it then make sure you sit down with the salon owner and work out the finer details....this helps to make everything really clear before you start rather than getting in the salon and having things you are unsure about.

Thanks all for the really good advice. I am thinking of saying to the owner maybe a months trial would be best to see how it goes.

Have any of you had any issues re the smell from the enhancements ie the other hairdressers clients complaining, as where i think he is thinking of setting the nail bar up is right near where he does hair so i wonder if there would be any complications from this?

Also his shop is on a main road where there are quite a few other shops/businesses, including a beauty shop where yes they do do nails & other beauty treatments. I am a bit wary about this, but i suppose compition is everywhere isnt it. But i done want any come back from the owner of the beauty shop.

theres not that much smell from 1 nail tech. anyway think how bad perms smell !

I rent within a hair salon, ive been open for 7 months & so far so good, I sit at the window like it was suggested.
I pay £10 per day rent then 12.5% commision at the end of the month, this seems to work for the both of us.
To begin with it was slow i only worked 2-3 day but now i work tues-sat in the salon & on 2 mondays a month i travel to homes & warden assisted flats.
HTH

Hi there

I work in a hair salon on fridays and have my own room but i can here customers and its normally the older ones always say WHATS THAT SMELL......

Drives me crazy as they **** there having perms that smell like rats arses

Latest posts

Back