Renting costs during Covid

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alicerileyx

Reaction score
Hello
Wondering if anyone rents a beauty room and wondering what the salon has done through covid? Have they charged you? Or gave you reduced rate? Thanks

Hi lovely, I wasn’t charged for my room rental at all. The charge started again when beauty legally reopened

Hello thank you for your reply. I’m being charged 100% rent for the 4 months we didn’t work and just wondered if other people were.

Hello thank you for your reply. I’m being charged 100% rent for the 4 months we didn’t work and just wondered if other people were.

That’s so hard I feel for you, tbh I’m surprised I wasn’t charged. Hope you’re working it out x

If it’s a serviced space which I’m assuming it is (bills included etc) and you didint have access during this time I’d argue that fact that you shouldnt be paying it

If it’s a serviced space which I’m assuming it is (bills included etc) and you didint have access during this time I’d argue that fact that you shouldnt be paying it
Yes but the £10,000 grant would help cover any bills but yes did not go into the salon at all only day before to clean

If you got a 10,000 grant then I’d say the salon will definitely be looking for some rent but if they got the grant and you didn’t get one as assuming you don’t pay a rates bill to council and had no access then how Do the salon expect you 1: to even make them money for the rent 2: be able to benefit your business Prior to reopening with only one day to do so

I didn’t get the grant the salon owner did, I know a bit harsh I think

You should negotiate. If you have a lease then you may be eligible for a discretionary grant. If you don’t have a lease it’s hard to see how your landlord can enforce back rent. She can of course kick you out if you don’t pay up.

Whilst the business was closed the salon will still have had overheads but they will have reduced. Ask to see evidence of the overheads included in your rent. Waste collection, premises public liability insurance, utility bills, rates, rent, cleaning services.

Then use the argument that works for you. Offer to pay a fraction of the fixed costs of the business based on the percentage of the premises that you occupy. Or Suggest you discount your rent by the same percentage as her overheads have reduced. Be very matter of fact. No-one’s had any income during the pandemic, but bills are bills. Suggest you cover your share of her bills but not her lost income.

Thank you for replying. Yes I have tried to offer 80%

I sympathise. You’ll have to decide whether it’s viable to carry on for the next year, with the risk of another lockdown and all the other factors to consider. It might be that you walk away now, find somewhere else and negotiate an agreement that’s more Covid friendly.

It might be better to suck it up and pay and save your energy for other worries. It’s better to be on good terms with your landlord. You can always have a reasonable discussion in which you offer 80% for 12 months and say it’s nothing personal, you just can’t afford to gamble on Covid and need to reduce your risks.

You might want to consider clearing all of your stuff out and just bring in what you need every day. Sometimes disputes can get nasty with landlords seizing the tools of your trade and demanding rent before they give them back.

I hope you work things out. I’d never advise the route I’m going down. I’m hoping my landlord will kick me out!

Latest posts

Back