Renting nail table in a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pink-pi

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently do Bio sculpture nails mobile and I haven't worked in a salon before, last night I went to a salon and done the salon owners nails at her salon as the girl who used to do bio sculpture there was unreliable and had to go.

She is looking for someone to do them, starting on Saturdays and wants 25% of whatever I would make, however I wouldn't be able to put the price up even though its a salon as the girl before was doing it at my current mobile rate.

I would need to provide all my own products other than the nail table and towels.

I just don't know if 25% is a reasonable amount, should I ask her if she would drop it down??

Thanks

Hi,

I currently do Bio sculpture nails mobile and I haven't worked in a salon before, last night I went to a salon and done the salon owners nails at her salon as the girl who used to do bio sculpture there was unreliable and had to go.

She is looking for someone to do them, starting on Saturdays and wants 25% of whatever I would make, however I wouldn't be able to put the price up even though its a salon as the girl before was doing it at my current mobile rate.

I would need to provide all my own products other than the nail table and towels.

I just don't know if 25% is a reasonable amount, should I ask her if she would drop it down??

Thanks

I think 25% is average if your supplying your own products, but you should be able to charge what you think is fair as she would have no say on this as your self employed :) xx

Hello

It depends if you are still building your business and need clients.

You need to do your sums. Say for instance you charge £30 for Bio, £7.50 goes to the salon, then there's £5 for the Bio products and maybe another £1 for sundries. That's £13.50 before you make profit.

Also best to check if in the future you did want to leave, if there would be any restrictions on you working mobile within a certain radius etc.

Thanks for the advice! I think I may do a trial and see how it goes.

As most of you may know I began my certification Sept 2012 I have worked long and hard to gain 20 reg clients in this time. In doing so today I was blessed with a telephone call from a local salon who was seeking out a noobie nail tech.

Somehow she received my name and number. We talked at 10 am today and by 3 pm I had a key in hand for the salon I move in tomorrow.

My question being so new is her 50/50 commission and she pays for the product? Is this a good deal? I feel I did well in the negotiations however I am second guessing myself now. I will post pics tomorrow when I move in!

Thank you

As most of you may know I began my certification Sept 2012 I have worked long and hard to gain 20 reg clients in this time. In doing so today I was blessed with a telephone call from a local salon who was seeking out a noobie nail tech.

Somehow she received my name and number. We talked at 10 am today and by 3 pm I had a key in hand for the salon I move in tomorrow.

My question being so new is her 50/50 commission and she pays for the product? Is this a good deal? I feel I did well in the negotiations however I am second guessing myself now. I will post pics tomorrow when I move in!

Thank you

Where is the salon? I grew up in the Okanagan and lived in Kelowna for quite a few years. (Went to UBC there and met my hubby there..). Next time we're out visiting family I will come see you and we can meet! Congrats btw! I'm hopefully setting up in a salon soon too! Woo!

I rent a corner in a hair salon & pay £30 per day. I am there 5 days per week so £150 per week. I've often wondered if that's a bit much but I do love it there & have gained a lot of clients from her but then she has also gained a lot of clients from me! I'm in Surrey. I'd be interested to know what others pay in Surrey :) xx

hi im in wales and will be working tues to saturday i have to small rooms at the back of a hair salon , one for nails and another for waxing and tanning etc and im paying £70 a week.:biggrin:

I rented a room in a salon for a while and paid £25 per day and used all my own products etc. that sounds alright until you think its £125 a week, £540 a month and £6500 a year. You could pay a mortgage for that. I didn't make enough to justify it.

Last edited:
25% is a reasonable rate however I would try and negotiate a fixed either daily or weekly rate as if you become extremely busy there you could be paying extortionate amounts in rent as I did when previously renting a room for beauty.
Also you are not the other nail tech so should set your own prices for opening and being self employed nobody can dictate these to you.

Wishing you luck in your new salon

i agree with this too, you can charge what you like your not her so put your own prices in, i've only been at mine for two weeks but i set all my own prices:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back