Renting out a chair for first time! Please can you lovely hairy folk advise me how!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vezy1

Reaction score
Ive had my own salon 17 years and want to rent to my stylist it's the nitty gritty I m not sure of
Does she have her own till and own float ?
At the end of the week , her profit share takings does she give me cash at end of week or bank transfer ?
If we both work on the same client for example , I h/l she tones and I cut and finish , how to we split the bill?
Does she have to have her own insurance ?
Is it easier we use the same appointment book or just let her have her own so booking in is clearer , but the segregates the clients ?
How do I ensure there's no over ordering for her clients or product waste ?
Would anyone advise as we use Olaplex/ wellaplex that she obtains her own as multiple remix of colour on on client only allows one charge of Olaplex and my stylist is amazingly creative but uses a lot of colour ?
I'm sure I'm over thinking everything but if I'm worrying contracts I just want to ensure I'm clear in my own head ! Thank you to who views and advises in advance

Woah, working on the same client together as you describe, sounds very iffy to me.

Read the sticky thread at the top of the business forum about HMRC guidance to self employed status. (Link below for convenience)

http://www.salongeek.com/threads/hmrc-guidelines-for-determining-self-employment.295298/

You may both argue that she's self employed but if HMRC decide it's a sham arrangement, you could end up being fined and required to pay outstanding tax, NI and minimum wage. It can be a serious matter.

Start from the perspective that she's an entirely separate business entity within your salon with her own business name. She should have her own public liability insurance too, in case she's sued.
Then imagine her with her own clients, managing their details (required under the Data Protection Act 1998) running separate offers to the salon, using any amount of product, charging whatever prices she wants to and taking her own client monies.

If you can't see that sort of arrangement working, you might need to re-think the whole 'self employed' status.

Latest posts

Back