Renting out home salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JemmaBeauty

Reaction score
I've worked successfully from home, in my converted garage for 5 years. I'm currently on Maternity Leave, and wondering if renting it out would be an option? Its detached and separate from my house.

I never did it when I had my last baby as I was too worried about who would be in there, and I wasn't sure on the legal aspects. But this time round, having not worked at all for the past 12 months (due to covid + difficult pregnancy) I'm feeling less of a control freak, and feel quite sad that my studio is still sat empty.

The space is beautiful and I live in a lovely little village so think it could be appealing to someone who is currently mobile or someone who would like a second location?

Does anyone else do this? ...or does anyone know what I would need to do in order to make it happen? I'm a sole trader and don't want to employ anyone, or use my business name or share clients etc. I just purely want to rent the space out with use of my couch.

Thanks

You'll probably need to check with your mortgage provider and home insurance etc. and I'm not sure either will give you the go ahead for someone other than you to work there due to risk.

As banner penguin says you will need to check out permissions - however speaking as a business risk analyst, it’s not a huge problem. Think about whether this will make your home more at risk of fire or a break in. A tenant may not be quite as careful as you about electrical safety and so on.

There are some practical considerations, as a potentially tenant will be thinking about what happens if you sold your house, or decided to return to work. Both options leave them without a way to earn.

Plan B would be to take on an employee to look after your customers. As you’d retain management control this is unlikely to be a worry for your mortgage co or insurer.

Latest posts

Back