Renting Salon Space

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs B

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

This is my first post on this site although I've been viewing it for a while and I must say there's tons of really interesting stuff to read. I completed an L & P course in March of this year and was lucky enough to find a hair salon who were interested in renting out space to a nail technician. Things have been going OK up until recently. I had a few technical hitches, but have picked up some useful tips and advice from this site (thanks). The problem I have at the moment is that I am paying 40% of my takings as rent and my takings have fallen in recent weeks. I am now at a point where I can't afford to buy stock to sell(the salon owner also expects 40% of stock sales, too) and I am considering asking the salon owner if she would agree to a rent reduction until my client base increases. My questions really are, is 40% rent the going rate?. Should I be paying 40% of stock sales, bearing in mind I am buying stock from my 60% earnings and are the summer months traditionally a little quieter?.
I would really appreciate some views on this before I go blundering in with any my requests.

Ta,

Shazz

i'm not sure about the retail comission, but usually a rate of up to 30% is about right when renting a space and providing all your own stuff.she's being a bit greedy i think, and it wouldnt hurt her to give you a rent free period of about 6 weeks to get you established.

I pay a flat rate of £50 per week in an out of town salon.

HTH

I would say that 40% is a bit extreme, I think lots of techs pay between 25-30%.

I think what you are charge can come down to each individual salon. Maybe you should re-negotiate with her & suggest a differnt % of stock sales.

Suelry though if you are taking less then the % dosnt make a differnce as it is still a percentage of your overall takings.

Im in a salon in Bournemouth and i pay 25% but all nail art and sales of stock are mine. I do know that some salon ask 40% but that is for new tech's with master techs watching over them!

I personally feel that 40% is too much, up to 30% is a fair split. I don't think that she should expect anything from your retail sales, she,ll make more from those items that you unless you mark them up way over the RRP.
Before I had the salon I paid 25% on services and nothing on retail sales. The 25% covered heating, light, phone, advertising and the services of a receptionist.
You could put this down to experience and move on or renegotiate with the salon owner, but I think she's asking too much from you.

i read your post with interest...i currently work in a tanning shop as a nail tech. When i started there back in about feb time, she proposed i pay 40% of what i earn and i would provide all my own products. From the beginning i stated that i would continue to do 'my' mobile clients evenings etc which i still do. i only work about 20 hours per week but during those hours i am really very busy. Most of my work is infills with very new few sets (which is good news as it goes to show my full sets last!). She then decided she wanted to incorporate all the various price lists for beauty, nails, sun beds into one price list etc and after getting it all printed asked me for a third of her £1000 bill! This hadn't been discussed let alone agreed! Anyway, i think 40% is too high...so i shall be renegotiating (or leaving!) I think the norm seems about 25-30%. i hope you sort it out and get the right deal for yourself.

I found it very interesting reading what others have to pay. I think i must be lucky because out of the 25% i pay it includes phone, refreshments, lights, heating, use of washing machince and they pay for all advertising and adding me to their price list. I would try and get that percentage down...! Tickled...it sounds like your paying for half the shop without the benefits, have you thought of going it alone and setting up shop?

Good luck

Vicky xx

your right there vicky...i have actually been posting threads over the last few weeks about log cabins/summer houses so i am pretty sure i am going to go it alone! The only thing which concerns me, and a point which has been raised fairly recently on this site is clients! I haven't got a contract of any description, but despite knowing my clients come to me because i give them a good service, i am concerned that if my clients follow (which they almost certainly would do) i will be accused of stealing the salon clients. I am making the assumption here that another tech would be found to fill my space but can i help it if clients want to come to me if i set up at home? I have purely worked on a self employed commission basis...so whose clients are they...tanning shop or mine. I have no intention of 'demanding' clients follow me...it would obviously be their choice...but is this good practice? I can only liken it to a hairdressers - once you find one you like you tend to follow them if they move. I certainly wouldn't take their personal details or the such, but i see so many of them round and about that if they wanted to be find me it wouldn't be too difficult. What everyone's opinion here... :sad:

You're right in what you say, it would be their choice. Clients are free to go to whoever they want to, they don't "belong" to anyone. If they like you and are happy with the work you do they will want to continue coming to you and will find you. As you say, you see many of them around and about. If you decided to leave it would be courteous to inform your clients of your decision to do so then the choice would be entirley up to them.

Hi Tickled,

i would say as you don't have a written contract then i would say if all your clients followed you it would show they want to for your valued service and not because of the salon you worked in, plus the salon owner wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

You have built up the client base through what you do, and personally i would say 40% is way too much. I think she is taking the mick knowing you are a new Tech. Go out on your own, then at least you say where, when and how much, plus everything you earn is yours.

thanks guys - i feel better about making a decision now. :lol:

Thanks for the responses everyone, I feel more confident about where I stand now.

Shazz

Hi

Retail % that should be a % of the profit not the whole thing or your landlady is getting more than you are! do think 40% is very steep i would definatley renegociate and if she insists on 40% tell her you want to exclude retail sales.

Taking your clients: as you are a self employed rent a desk and have been paying for your own advertising i would consider the clients yours. This is a grey area. If you leave i would advertise and those clients that want to follow you will do so. You will have a clear consience then too.

im sooo glad i read this!
ive started working in a salon and they want £25 rent a day. evryone told me this was way too much and it is absolutely impossible for me to pay this. so we agreed on a % till i get more clients, but i sed the other day i still cant pay that much rent even if i do get more clients because theres only so much i can do in a day. so i agreed on giving 40% of my takings thinkin this was normal. now im not so sure.

Hiya Mrs B, noted you're in Fareham. I too rent space in Fareham £100 a week, which I thought was pretty steep, but at least I know exactly how much I am paying each week. You sound like you are being ripped off. Hairdressers don't realise that the profit margins aren't as great in nails as hair - our stylists can have up to 3 clients on the go ( a shampoo & set under the dryer, a colour being processed and a cut on the go) unless you're an Octopus you can only do one client at a time!!!!!!!!!! Perhaps you should point this out to her as she is earning more from you than you must be !!!! Or look elsewhere, if she won't be reasonable. And it was very quiet last week!
Mrs B said:
Hi Everybody,

This is my first post on this site although I've been viewing it for a while and I must say there's tons of really interesting stuff to read. I completed an L & P course in March of this year and was lucky enough to find a hair salon who were interested in renting out space to a nail technician. Things have been going OK up until recently. I had a few technical hitches, but have picked up some useful tips and advice from this site (thanks). The problem I have at the moment is that I am paying 40% of my takings as rent and my takings have fallen in recent weeks. I am now at a point where I can't afford to buy stock to sell(the salon owner also expects 40% of stock sales, too) and I am considering asking the salon owner if she would agree to a rent reduction until my client base increases. My questions really are, is 40% rent the going rate?. Should I be paying 40% of stock sales, bearing in mind I am buying stock from my 60% earnings and are the summer months traditionally a little quieter?.
I would really appreciate some views on this before I go blundering in with any my requests.

Ta,

Shazz

Hi

Yes I totally agree with everybody else, you are being ripped off!!! I started in a hairdressing salon last September, no clients etc.. it was really hard work!! I wasn't even making enough money to cover the rent so I negotiated with the owner a 3 month rent free period. It was that or I was going to have to fold. I also negoatiated to get the rent down as I was doing everything to establish my business. Personally I think it works better a flat fee instead of percentage.

Hope this helps and good luck in your new venture!

Rgs Avril x

im a salon owner if you feel you should receive 75% of the profits then id be fine with that.
im not greedy or would be happy with a set rate,£100 pw.
free parking.
sean

Latest posts

Back