Renting space in a beauty salon ...... advice please ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooh

Reaction score
I have been offered the possibility of renting a small room or space in a beauty salon or fitness club. The arrangement would be that they supply the space and table ........ I supply everything else.

It would be (in each case) a casual 'as and when there is a customer' arrangement I think (not final yet) and the salon/club would take a percentage of what I take.

The percentage mentioned is 25%.

Any views please? Any advice, comment, warnings ??

I know I can trust YOU lot, not sure about the salons :)

Pooh sawadee ka

You have space for no rent them pay electiric water everything you make nail have 75 percent .

Why farang worry and look for bad thing before happen you try and if good you do many nail if no good you go somewhere make nail you happy .

Some thing i no understand you have good luck and look something bad .

why you ask if good or not try first .

Kop khun ka mui

No, honest .......... really chuffed that the chance may be there .....

but others experiences are always worth knowing I think :)

I guess I am just a little hesitant as I had a bad experience with a salon before heading out on my own :?

I know ....... maybe I am being silly .....

Dee ...... from a (sunny) Somerset xx

Sawadee ka pooh

I hope you make many nail and make big money and happy .

Try first and see if good i want be good for you ka .

Kop khun ka mui

I rent space in the Tanning Shop and have done so for the last 10 years....
Had a few disagreement due to lack of contract........but thats sorted now...
Well 25% is the norm for renting and you supplying your own stock..........
I would be a bit carefull with the casual arrangement...........get a renting agreement, no matter how nice some one is or how well you know them...... This will protect both of you...........

I am not sure about the as and when there is a customer situation......
it doesn't leave you much scope for developing a little business...... In order to get the customers you need to be seen to be there or have regular hours, so clients know when you will be there...and when not.
So be smart and be happy, this could be just the oppertunity you have been waiting for.............

Just a thought
good luck
love Ruth xxxxxxx

[quote="

it doesn't leave you much scope for developing a little business...... In order to get the customers you need to be seen to be there or have regular hours, so clients know when you will be there...and when not.
So be smart and be happy, this could be just the oppertunity you have been waiting for....[/quote]

Ruth is SO right ... there is no room for this type of attitude when you are in a service industry.
Be there every day customers or not ... keep regular hours ... don't mess people about .... if yu are needed and not there you have lost a customer.

Nailsinlondon1 said:

Ruth is SO right ... there is no room for this type of attitude when you are in a service industry.
Be there every day customers or not ... keep regular hours ... don't mess people about .... if yu are needed and not there you have lost a customer.

I think this is a good deal because I was wanting to only give my guys 25% but they wanted 35% and to pay a percentage towards my products. As I had already bought everything I asked them if they could back date this and they said no. I told them there was no point in giving them 35% as there wasn't anything to pay towards my products and wouldn't be for a while.

We agreed on 30% and the take this from any money I make, from products and services.

I am there Mon-Sat 10am-5pm, but I start early if needed to and I stay late if a customer can only make it after work. This helps when a customer has a nail breakage or something and is desperate to get it fixed. If I am there then I can do it, and then they usually come back because I have helped them out of a scrape.

hi
just reading your post and i am in the same situation i am due to start in a tanning salon in a few weeks they have asked for £50 flat rate i'm no sure if i'm paying to much or not i am going to have set hours mon-sat 10 5 and i will be doing a late night one day don't know what day yet

is my rent to high ?

vic

We agreed on 30% and the take this from any money I make, from products and services.

Why do they want to pay you a percentage (and how much?) on your products; why not just make it simple and let you give them the 25% on your WORKING salary. I personally would not be happy giving them a percentage on what I make selling products!! This is where you can make a penny or two without having to work for it!

Sort these guys out, they just seem to be taking you for a ride.

Adele

Pooh said:
I have been offered the possibility of renting a small room or space in a beauty salon or fitness club. The arrangement would be that they supply the space and table ........ I supply everything else.

It would be (in each case) a casual 'as and when there is a customer' arrangement I think (not final yet) and the salon/club would take a percentage of what I take....

Hi Dee,

I also agree with Ruth and Gigi.

However, a couple of things to think about:

Where in the shop will your room or space be?

Will the room be used for anything else on the days you are not there?

How is business doing working from home - do you need the possible stress of similar problems to your last place.

I, like you, was offered the rent of a small room in the back of a hair salon last year. I was only there on a Friday - their choice, not mine. I offered them the same commission on any customers who came to my home outwih the Friday - but they never referred anyone - the customers were told I only woked on a Friday.

I was put in a very small back room, most of the customers did not even know I was there, despite the large window display I had done LOL.

I arrived one Friday morning and my first client was already there and I was told I had to wait as the salon owner was using the room for an eyebrow waxing. I decided to give notice virtually there and then - it was very unprofessional and the business was just not coming. They took all of my client bookings but had no details of contacts - on one occasion my daughter was sick and I called them to let them know and ask if they would inform my clients - they said they had no contact details so 3 clients arrived to be turned away. - Not good business.

I know everyone dreams of working in a salon and I know dreams come true for lots and lots of people but I far prefer working from home - the hours are to suit me and my clients rather than anyone else and all the profit is mine LOL.

Think very carefully and weigh up the pros and cons.

Many thanks for all the replies. It's cool to see all the different opinions :)

I am decided to be DEAD positive, have been in to see the 'room' and told them what I can offer and when, and at the commision they asked (25%). They are now having a think themselves. It's a 'slightly' odd setup as they also do nails etc as part of their other services so I just want to ensure I will not be doing just the customers that they don't like ...... but we will see. I am looking forward to giving it a go but can't help being just a TINY bit wary :)

Thanks again ......... and I will let you know what the first day is like.

Dee from Somerset xx

Well Dee,
this does sound a bit odd, if they are already offering a nail service..........
Where and how does your nail service fit into this ???

When I relocated to Cannon Street Tanning Shop a few years back, the beautician there was also doing manicures......but not very often ????
She mainly does waxing , facials and the like..........

So I had a chat with her and came to a nice understanding..........
She told me that she doesn't do the manicures very often, as she prefers to do waxing and never pushed it so to speak as a service.......

So I said ok.........Now do you mind if I push them then and offer them also on my menu........She said no go ahead...........
So 4 years down the line, she does the manicures that I cant fit in lol.......
My point is...........have a chat, see whats what and communicate with the person doing the nails directly........that way there wont be any misunderstandings..................But this sounds a bit like odd balls to me......Why are they re-thinking...........but on a positive note........
Hey the clients that they don't like , could be your dream clients and your best ones...... never judge a client by the salon attitude........ I found that all clients awkward or picky or just down right rude, can be remolded.......
It just depends on your people skills............ So maybe agree on a trial period and then take it from there..............

hope this helps
love Ruth xxxx

Dee,

Re the discussion of opening hours, although my business is VERY new, my published hours are 10.30 - 4.30 Tue - Sat and late night by appt. This has worked well (yesterday I worked 9.30 am to 9 pm!!!). Anyway my point is that almost EVERY day because I am new I have had people coming in chatting, looking round and wanting appointments immediately, some of which I have been able to do, others I havent - but there really is a point to BEING THERE!

You can always do nail art demos, that gets people interested etc and these people are chatting to me and BOOKING!! :D

So GOOD LUCK! Make it like a second home, and enjoy!!

Lesley in Sunny Devonxx :D

I agree, and I'm not too happy about it but some weeks they only make approx £40 off of me if business is quiet. The also wanted me to pay them the money in cash, but I insisted in paying by cheque. That way there is proof I have paid them it. But my accountant seems to think they won't put it through their books because it is classed as sub-letting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back