Renting space in our salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mimo9

Reaction score
Please bear with me on this as it could go on a bit! We are lucky enough to be expanding our salon into the shop unit next door and are hoping to be kitted out and ready in about 4 - 6 weeks. We have a huge retail outlet opening right on our doorstep so are excited about the new business it will bring. We currently have a nail station, spray tanning and sunbeds as well as a small station offering threading tinting, and mainly quick express treatments. Our new much needed area will consist of two beauty rooms one of which we will use for traditional treatments...waxing, facials etc...and we also plan to rent out the 2nd room as well as a 2nd nail station as it will bring a useful income and we don't do any form of nail extensions. We have had a lot of interest and have so far provisionally agreed a great rental with a lovely girl who is desperate to take the nail space. So here are my issues/questions:
She does both gel and acrylic nail extensions which as I said before we don't, and probably won't, ever do....so that's perfect!! However she also does shellac....we don't but we DO Gelish and Entity Colour Couture gel nails.
She wants to do pedicures and we do a lot of those in the summer months. We need a system to resolve this!!
She wants to create and keep her own branding....have a sign in our window etc! Fine with me! However her prices are considerably higher than ours as they stand currently so not sure how that's going to work.
How do we handle the walk-ins? We figure we will have a lot due to the new retail outlet. Has anyone got a system they can share with us please? For example if we charge £5 less for a gel manicure than she does then how will that work?
Also she is reasonably fresh out of training so is currently building up her client base. For the rent we are getting I am happy to give her a leg up but am well aware of the pitfalls....no doubt she will eventually move on after a while.....and with her clients!! I can't see how that can be prevented even if I build something into her contract but I am keen to protect myself as much as possible. And do we take a percentage of any clients that we may pass to her...if we decide to do it that way?? Argh ....help us please!!!

Do you own this salon or are you renting?

Kind Regards,

Matt

We rent the salon!

Ok... I personally think no matter when a person qualifies, if they are happy within that salon environment she won't want to move, but remember, if she will be self employed, any clients she generates herself are her clients and well within her rights to take them if she does move in elsewhere.

As for walk-ins on the 2 different Gel systems being offered, let the client decide, when they inquire just tell them.. We have Gellish priced at £££ or CND at £££ etc which is your preference? The Acrylic and extensions are not an issue as you don't offer them

If she's desperate for that space, she clearly believes in herself and her abilities to make her business work, give her a trial ,....and trade test her! She may be bursting with enthusiasm but her work may not be up to scratch or she could be the best tech you've seen

Also, if I've read it right, she will be renting the nail station and NOT the room? How would you or the clients feel with pedicures being done on the salon floor? I personally wouldn't have that, but that's your call :)

Good luck :) x

Ok... I personally think no matter when a person qualifies, if they are happy within that salon environment she won't want to move, but remember, if she will be self employed, any clients she generates herself are her clients and well within her rights to take them if she does move in elsewhere.

As for walk-ins on the 2 different Gel systems being offered, let the client decide, when they inquire just tell them.. We have Gellish priced at £££ or CND at £££ etc which is your preference? The Acrylic and extensions are not an issue as you don't offer them

If she's desperate for that space, she clearly believes in herself and her abilities to make her business work, give her a trial ,....and trade test her! She may be bursting with enthusiasm but her work may not be up to scratch or she could be the best tech you've seen

Also, if I've read it right, she will be renting the nail station and NOT the room? How would you or the clients feel with pedicures being done on the salon floor? I personally wouldn't have that, but that's your call :)

Good luck :) x

Thank you! Yes we have agreed to work with a three month trial basis although we know her work is good. And yes, of course any clients she generates are hers....my issue is with the 'shared' ones or ones we pass to her, but they as you suggest can speak and decide for themselves. It's occurred to us that we could perhaps 'share' or pass her clients for a limited time and then she's on her own. We do need to sort the room/pedicure situation too...I completely agree. xx

I've just taken on another hairdresser and for the 1st month all new clients are being booked in with her, to help her out, after the 4 weeks my diary is the 1st option as I pay all the bills lol

There is a solution to everything somehow:) you may find it all it's into place without too much hassle x

I've just taken on another hairdresser and for the 1st month all new clients are being booked in with her, to help her out, after the 4 weeks my diary is the 1st option as I pay all the bills lol

There is a solution to everything somehow:) you may find it all it's into place without too much hassle x

Funny I said exactly the same thing....for about a day ;-) Though I agree it will fall into place eventually and we will work it out between us. I love your idea. We had thought of a similar thing but that is even better. Thank you so much! x

Have you been given consent by the landlord to sublet?

Latest posts

Back