Renting space...your thoughts and ideas (by tomorrow 9am please :-) )

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLAOH

jog jog jogging
Reaction score
I have been approached by my previous hairdresser to rent space in her salon. I've got to speak to her in the morning to let her know what I've decided, but just wanted to ask you fab geeks if I've missed anything.

Although I do have a regular client base, I need to earn more and this hopefully will open up that opportunity. I do get on well with the lady and she is happy for me to take my own money and book my own clients if need be. It would be on a 70% to me and I supply my own stock.

Whilst I love the flexibility of working from home, if I'm honest I miss the working environment....having others to bounce ideas off and have a laugh.

I know I need to clarify about holiday, ie, how many weeks will I be given grace:lol: What other area's do I need to clarify. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.:hug:

if its any consolation, I've just taken the big step of doing this and start tomorrow.
go for it!

Personally I would try & negotiate a different rate (that is beneficial to you) as you will be just starting out. Maybe a daily rent or a different percentage to begin with. You will be supplying everything yourself & also taking your clients to the salon so try a bit of bargaining, always worth a try!

Good luck!

I've worked at a hairdressers and a salon so far and am goin to be working at another hairdressers, I work on a % bases as I'm still trying to build up a client base I think 20% is fair as said perviously u are supplying all ure own stock etc. I agree its good to work along side people, the only thing I've found is sometimes they treat you more like an employee than working for your self good luck xx

70% is pretty good i have rented space in hair salons for the past 8 years. At the mo i pay a set rate of £560 a month and supply my own stock. I can't afford to be employed as the pay is so bad! Go for it even if it doesn't work out better to try than never know. Good luck :green:

when your business picks up, will you be hiring another technician? if so, you may want to know in advance if they are ok with that, and the implications in terms of cost to your business. also whether the arrangement is that you are nail tech working as part of the salon (i.e. marketing yourself as part of the salon and under the salon name) or an independent nail tech with your own business name etc operating in the same premise.

Oh, forgot to add - can you accept payments via their credit card facilities too (assuming they got one)? Are the customers yours or the salon's if you decide to leave and expand your business elsewhere?

All the best in your new venture!

I have no experience of renting space so can't comment . . . just wanted to wish you all the best for your new venture xx

70% is pretty good i have rented space in hair salons for the past 8 years. At the mo i pay a set rate of £560 a month and supply my own stock. I can't afford to be employed as the pay is so bad! Go for it even if it doesn't work out better to try than never know. Good luck :green:

I didn't think 70% was too bad either, thou I will mentioned I'd want to move to a set rate once business picks up. Down side is I don't think many of my clients will move, so I'll have to accomodate them on my day off or evenings, which is going to be hard but I can't run the risk of losing them, unless this doesn't work out.

Thankyou everyone for your input....will keep you all posted.x

Lou

i work on a 70% basis too and it works for me, I also supply all my own stock. I did set up like you originally from home and I have kept my home clients on the estate where I live.

I love it in the salon where I work, its the best thing I ever did. Gained a larger client base, gained experience and its nice to be among other people too. I did cut my hours down eventually as found it too much so negotiated with the salon owner and we came to a mutual agreement what days and hours I work.

Id so go for it, what have you got to loose. Its trial and error to start with, be open to negotiation and see what happens. If it doesnt work out you havent lost anything.

With regards to holiday, if you are self employed you should be able go on holiday when you wish, I always have my buddy who I met from this site (Sallyann) Salmonsa help me out which is great to cover for me whilst Im away. My clients are happy with this as is the salon owner.

Good luck:hug:

Latest posts

Back