Renting spaces advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayleigh12

Reaction score
Hi I own my own salon and I have a few girls working with me ...
Now I only charge them a day rate but as there self employed I just want to know what rules you give out ?
Do you let them wear what they want ? Or do they have a uniform I just want to know what are the do and don’t ?
Thanks

Hi can I ask what you charge for room rent? I’m currently in the process of opening a salon but want to rent some of the space as well so I’m wondering what the going rate is for renting on a self employed basis.

Also I would expect staff whether employed or self employed to wear salon attire, at the end of the day you want to create a professional image for your salon. Perhaps have some tunics branded for them

Hi I own my own salon and I have a few girls working with me ...
Now I only charge them a day rate but as there self employed I just want to know what rules you give out ?
Do you let them wear what they want ? Or do they have a uniform I just want to know what are the do and don’t ?
Thanks

You cannot tell them what to wear, what hours they work, when they take holiday or anything. They are self employed. Running their business from your premises. They must be responsible for handling their own money, clients etc. You can have a ‘terms and conditions’ drawn up by a solicitor. Pls check on the hmrc websites about the dos snd donts, or you could end up being responsible for backpayments of holiday pay and pensions xx

I wouldn’t want someone in my salon not looking professional and then giving the salon a bad reputation. I’d be expecting them to wear salon attire and looking professional it’s not a big ask and if they are professional then they shouldn’t object but should want to wear salon attire anyway!

I’ll be writing this in my t&c’s

I wouldn’t want someone in my salon not looking professional and then giving the salon a bad reputation. I’d be expecting them to wear salon attire and looking professional it’s not a big ask and if they are professional then they shouldn’t object but should want to wear salon attire anyway!

I’ll be writing this in my t&c’s

I completely understand what your saying, and I completely agree, and you can add it in the Terms and conditions for sure, but I don’t believe you are allowed to supply it. Pls check hmrc guidelines to make sure you comply with self employed guidelines or you could get into trouble. X

I completely understand what your saying, and I completely agree, and you can add it in the Terms and conditions for sure, but I don’t believe you are allowed to supply it. Pls check hmrc guidelines to make sure you comply with self employed guidelines or you could get into trouble. X

That’s fine as long as they wear there own then I’d be happy but I would happily supply if that’s what they wanted

That’s fine as long as they wear there own then I’d be happy but I would happily supply if that’s what they wanted

I’m just giving you the advice I was given as a chair renter by the National hairdressers federation. I didn’t want to find myself responsible for pensions/holiday and maternity therefore I try to stick to the guidelines as much as I can. I supply electrical equipment to my chair renters which I’m not theoretically supposed to do, but seeing as everything electrical must be Pat tested Before coming into the salon because of regulations I do and if I got audited then I’d like to think they would understand that. Not so sure they would understand supplying of uniform in the same way x

Hi can I ask what you charge for room rent? I’m currently in the process of opening a salon but want to rent some of the space as well so I’m wondering what the going rate is for renting on a self employed basis.

Also I would expect staff whether employed or self employed to wear salon attire, at the end of the day you want to create a professional image for your salon. Perhaps have some tunics branded for them

I charge £20 per day.... one of the girls wants to get her business name on a shirt now I have a Tshirt with my salon on it but she wants her name on her top what do you hjonk I should do

I charge £20 per day.... one of the girls wants to get her business name on a shirt now I have a Tshirt with my salon on it but she wants her name on her top what do you hjonk I should do
She's self employed. You really don't get a say. If she wants to do it, she can.

If she wants to do it, just get her to buy her own tunic with her business name put onto it. Xxx

If she wants to do it, just get her to buy her own tunic with her business name put onto it. Xxx

What about if I say u can get one with your business name on and one based at my salon ?

What about if I get that to get Tshirt with there name on but underneath saying based at .... my salon

What about if I get that to get Tshirt with there name on but underneath saying based at .... my salon
You can't tell her to do anything like that. You can suggest but really it's their business and she can do what she wants.

You would still be supplying her and advertising your salon on it. She can do that but it has to be the self employed person that does it all and can’t be enforced by you

You would still be supplying her and advertising your salon on it. She can do that but it has to be the self employed person that does it all and can’t be enforced by you

so really I can’t do anything about it ?

They are self employed therefore you do not do anything for them and can not enforce anything upon them!

It is up to them to get their own products/uniform etc and they can wear whatever they want to

so really I can’t do anything about it ?

No. She can do it off her own back but you can’t tell her to. I’m sure lots of ppl out there do but if they got audited they could see that as another tick in the box for employment... why don’t you call hmrc to confirm? Or just employ her if you want her to wear a uniform work certain days/hours?

You will not be 'The Boss'....they will not be 'Your Team........'Your Girls...', Your Staff...' :confused:
You will however be their 'Landlord' - the person they will go to when the toilet won't flush, the basins are blocked, the salon's too hot/too cold....you get my drift....o_O
To be honest, is it worth the £20.00 a day?
I'd rather just do an extra blow dry myself a day for the extra 20 quid - less agg! ;)

Latest posts

Back