Repairing a Nail with Fibreglass

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsinlondon1

Reaction score
I hope you will find this useful :biggrin:
It really depends on the size of the split, whether you would stress strip then cover the whole nail or just use a small fibreglass shape...............

Most nails break in the stress area, so it makes sense to take a strip the size of the stress area and re-inforcing it........

For generic Resin systems

With a large split.......
Apply wrap from one side of the nail to the other............
Then one complete wrap...........
  1. Scrubfresh
  2. light buff.......with a 240 grit, once in direction of nail growth
  3. resin, making sure the resin goes in between the split and press it together.....let this air dry.........
  4. Apply one thin coat of resin to whole nail plate........let this air dry, air drying will ensure that the stress strip will absorb the resin fully...I do not want to buff the nail, as it is fragile and might break completly
  5. stress strip
  6. then one complete strip....
  7. resin 2 x both Fibreglass layers at the same time,no need to do this in seperate applications.............
  8. Activate
  9. buff with a 240 grit
Using the DN Fabric# system with a large split
You wont need the stress strip (step 5) just the one complete wrap.....As the Fabric# system is tough and durable.

1. Prep
  2. Scrubfresh
  3. light buff nail plate....240 grit... once in direction of nail growth
  4. Apply bond ,making sure the resin goes in between the split and press it together......let this air dry........
  5. Apply Bond to area to be wrapped,let this air dry, air drying will ensure that the stress strip will absorb the resin fully...I do not want to buff the nail, as it is fragile and might break completlythen one complete strip....
  6. bond again
  7. build 1x
  8. activate
  9. Buff to tidy up the edges ........240 grit
  10. Boost 2x.............
  11. buff with a 240 grit
  12. Finish
For a small repair:

1. Scrubfresh...........
  2. light buff over the area to be covered.....240 grit....once in direction of nail growth.
  3. Apply resin, making sure the resin goes inbetween the split, press it together...........let this air dry, air drying will ensure that the stress strip will absorb the resin fully...I do not want to buff the nail, as it is fragile and might break completlyApply resin to area to be covered by the fibreglass
  4. Apply strip.....
  5. resin 2x..
  6. activate
  7. buff with a 240 grit.
  8. finish.........

This is brill Ruth....I have only just started using Fabric with my Brisa so its all a bit new to me...this helps alot.....thank you xxx

I wish I had had this info a couple of weeks ago ..... my client had had sculpts on (I was particularly pleased with them - even tho they did take me almost 4 hours to do) and two days later, 3 hours before she was due to go on holiday she rings me to say one of her nails had broken during a vigerous kitchen cleaning prior to her holiday!!!.

Panic panic panic - I am on the phone to my Ambassador only to find she had gone to lunch, so Pat (fab lady at the Manchester Academy) suggested how to repair. Because I was under pressure I did do it in 20 mins but I buffed it right down and re-sculpted the end, a piece of fiberglass would have been better I think. In fact I bought some 'nail fixers' the next time I was at the one shop which cost me £23 + vat, prolly very much like a strip of silk when I think about it. Doh!

Great tutorial Ruth, I will print this one out and put in my file :)

Latest posts

Back