Repairing natural nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystal100

Reaction score
OK..I've had a look of search but couldn't find the answer.
If a natural nail has been torn away from the nailbed (just a little bit beyond the free edge).....what would be the best way to repair it. I know L&P would protect it so that the natural nail would eventually grow underneath..but my questions are

1. Would you use adhesive like Gel Bond first to adhere the break before L&P?

2. Would the adhesive cause discomfort to the client on application as the break is raw under the nail bed?

3. OR just L&P overlay to protect...again would the L&P cause initial discomfort on application because of the tear from the nail bed?

Any advice greatfully received.

Many thanks

Have a look in this months professional nails, Leighton Denny has written a piece.
page 47.
Hope this helps

Debz xx

Hi Debz..live in Spain so can't get hold of ANY up to date nail magazines...but thanks anyway.

xx

Brought this back up thread...had loads of views..can anyone advise?

Hi there

I think you are supposed to make the split into a v shape with your file, this way it will hold any acrylic better than 2 neat edges. I did this on my step daughter and put a small think layer of clear over the crack.

Deb379

If the natural nail is torn, and split into the nail bed I would advise cutting the free edge as short as possible and then apply product ONLY if the nail is NOT swollen, infected, or bleeding, and the tear is as close the free edge as possible, so that it will grow out shortly. You have to be careful though, because adding excessive length to the nail may only agravate the tear (IF you are adding a tip or a sculptured free edge), because there can be pressure and stress to it. So whatever you do, cut the nail down. I think Fabrics are great in situations like these. I hope this makes sense. Let us know how it turns out!!

Sorry Crystal forgot!!!!
How about checking the prof nails website? you may be able to read article there

Debz xx

Debz said:
Sorry Crystal forgot!!!!
How about checking the prof nails website? you may be able to read article there

Debz xx
I scanned it in and click on Thumbnail to read it
HTH

Attachments

• denny advise.jpg
    denny advise.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 112
Great idea Ruth,
I would've thought about that eventually...........maybe!!!!!!!lol
Just blonde on the inside me!!!

Debz xx

crystal100 said:
Hi Debz..live in Spain so can't get hold of ANY up to date nail magazines...but thanks anyway.

xx

Hi Crystal,
Just a little question.... I live in Portugal and get Professional Nails magazine, why won't they send one to you? and I am sure Scratch would send one when I get around to sending off for them?

Lynn :cool:

Thank you Ruth for scanning the article. I will be able to do it better now but there is still a problem. I wonder if anyone can help me please?

I have one regular lady who continually tears her nails, mostly thumbs, on the nail plate, even when they are short. I have tried no enhancements but protein treatments, then she gets fed up and asks for enhancements and then again she tears her nail on the nail plate underneath the tip and the overlay.

I have used Creative fabric and L&P but it still happens. I have checked, she is not using her nails to open tins!

Thanks Ruth for the article, I will deal with it better now but I wonder why it happens regularly to her. I don't have anyone else where this happens regularly.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

Thank you to everyone for the advise...many thanks Ruth for scanning the article, it's been a great help.

xx

Latest posts

Back