Repairing vertically split nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a client with a recurring split in her nail which starts a couple of mm from her free edge.

Does anyone have any tips for repairing the split so she can wear Gelish? It will split through Gelish on it's own.

Thanks xx

Have u tried an overlay (gel / acrylic or silk) ?
That's if u do them ?
As if it was my client that's what I'd do tbh.

what system are you using? We need to know what you are trained in to best reply x

I only do natural nails and Gelish - no artificial structures.

I may be talking rubbish here as I don't use gelish. But can you apply silk to the natural nail and put the gelish over?

I use bio id imagine bio is thicker so can maybe hide the silk better, so that may not be an option for you... Xx

Use silk then your base coat then continue application as usual. Remember to smooth silk down with the backing paper not your finger so that you don't transfer oils.

I used to have a recurring one in my thumb, I used fibreglass under shellac :)

On our gelish course we were told that structure gel could be used for repairs, although with silk I guess it would be even stronger. Perhaps nail harmony could help?

Sorry to jump in - can anyone tell me where I can buy silk from? x

Rather than buying anything I use the tea bag method which is very effective.
Cut up a tea bag, trim to size of nail fix with nail glue and another layer of tea bag mesh and glue then buff gently to get a smooth surface and I then apply shellac as normal. Very strong .:D

I second the 'tea bag' method.

I only do natural nails and Gelish - no artificial structures.

If you only do gelish and don't want to try acrylic you could try using some gelish structure :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back