Repetitive strain injury when doing nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chixyorky

Reaction score
Hey geeks sorry if ive posted this in the wrong place! :-/
Basically ive been a therapist for about 6 years and usually do a mix of things but ever since we got shellac in a few weeks ago its been a lot of manis and pedis. On saturday my entire arm was in so much pain i felt like i wanted to cry it was like an intense ache and its lasted all weekend and have been dosed up on pain killers ever since. Just wondering really if any other geeks have this problem and if you have any tips for me such a exercises or a different way to sit??? x sorry for rambling on!! Xxxx thank you xx

I think it's definitely a common risk in this job! I find my dominant index finger hurts the most when I'm doing nails and afterwards. The only tips I have are make sure both yours and clients hands & wrists are supported and that you're both at the right height. Flex your hands and fingers throughout treatments also to break it up. I think there's more too - other geeks will post xx

Go and get checked out hun, I had the same problem but I had torn tendons so had to have a splint for a week and some anti inflammatories, I usually wear my splint now as long as it doesn't restrict me working x

Some really good excercises for this is to extend your arm and using your opposite hand pull all your fingers backwards together you should feel the pull all on the underside of the arm that is extended hold for about 5-10 seconds. Then push the fingers down and back, you will feel the pull on the top of the arm again hold for about 5-10. Repeat on the other hand then repeat on both hands x2. Try to do this between clients.
I sometimes get really bad cramp i the muscle at the base of my thumb and i find it really helps to stretch out my fingers and then gently push my thumb backwards.
Roll your shoulders and then pull them upto your ears hold for a few seconds and relax repeat x 5 shake your arms out.
Another good one is to stand in the corner and placing your palms on the walls in front of you lean forward you will feel the pull all aross your shoulders and back.
Posture is so important when we have a full diary so make sure that you are sitting correctly.
Jen xx

Latest posts

Back