Reported on facebook-going against cheap non-pro brands!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Struckbyastar

Reaction score
Just a vent really.

Someone on a local group on facebook was selling a whole load of "professional" gel nail products- mostly bundles of Elite 99. I've seen the brand around online on various groups, however never really looked as it because it reminds me of other "copycat" brands, for a start.

A quick google shows a UK site where you can get straight to paypal without any certification details.

The seller had stated that it was a "safe" product that wouldn't damage or harm your nails, to which I commented saying that no respected gel polish brand would do this; it would be only the application and removal, and lack of aftercare, that could do this. The response-

"oh yeah, i suppose."

I then commented with my basic details, and simply but politely saying I was happy to chat with anything about suggested suitable non professional products that professionals might recommend to someone who wasn't able to/willing to go to a salon.

My commented got reported and I got blocked from the group.
The group rules don't state anything about selling your services, which I had checked before I'd even written anything, even though my intention wasn't to offer my services in a paid capacity. I get that it might have come off like this but I, like so many people, am so FED UP of cheapy, rubbishy brands and tools making it seem like doing your nails is so easy!! I used to be one of these people, who damaged my nails, and looking back I can't believe the horrors I inflicted on my hands- both artistically and medically!

I'm relatively new in the industry (I know, I've often said..) but I live in an area where this general consensus is common. HOW do we break this?! My rates are as low as I can have them at a respectable rate for someone who's not confident, and for the type of client I want. I've had a bit of a low period recently so have neglected my own nails, let alone my social media for my craft. I'm ashamed to say I feel like I've spent a lot of money on training and tools that are going to waste, and that I'm nearer to giving up than moving on up. :(

I agree it annoys me I recently shut down my one leg of my business due to these idiots selling cheap rubbish. And the sad fact is end consumers don't really know the difference between them, we like to think they do but they don't.

I've also just realised that I started buying Madam Glam when it was planning on being sold Pro only in the UK, which it now isn't, and am in even more of a conflict as to whether my problem is with people thinking they can do their own as good as a pro, or with companies selling products that should be pro-only to the general public.:(

I've tried to use my anger and frustration positively by doing an offer on my facebook page. I want to get back onto blogging, and start blogging about healthy nail choices and trying to educate people.. but then the most my old blog was seen was by 50 people, so maybe i'm trying to flog a dead horse there, or whatever that saying is.

BTW i'm not looking for sympathy, or encouragement in my tech skills. Just a rant and wondering what the hell can be done about it?!!!

Probably nothing as at the end of the day companies are only looking to sell and make the most or max they can. Even pharmaceutical companies do this by creating side effect in my personal opinion, it's all very sad . But the main issue there is not a std licensing for nail tech like they have in USA, other countries need to start doing this to regulate the industry.

Will eliminate these diy gurus and other companies who sell to them so easily.

There are plenty of other brands that launched as "salon only" and then years later started selling in high street shops - St Tropez for a start!!

It's so annoying and really hits the retail takings. [emoji24][emoji24]

Last edited:
Hairdressers have been complaining about the sale of box dyes for years. :rolleyes:
Fact is that people who want to save money will choose to DIY and those who prefer to have a professional finish without the hassle are prepared to pay for the service. They are the clients you need to focus on, not the discount chasers.

It's not just Nail Techs and Hairdressers though, it applies to most professional trades. Chances are, you're probably as guilty of this as anyone else if you think about it. After all, how many of you do your own home decorating, put up shelves, cook your own meals, do basic plumbing.... ;)

Let it wash over you. Just because they can buy them doesn't mean they can use them!

Before gel polish ordinary polish was, and of course still is, widely available, as were nail files. People still went to salons for manicures. And like AcidPerm has said hairdressers have been up against this for years.

The have a go DIYers aren;t the clients you want to spend time chasing anyway, and once they mess it up, get bored, don't want to fork out on a full range of colours etc. they'll resort to a pro, but usually flit around the cheapest offers.

Latest posts

Back