Reported to trading standards - advice needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandstones

Reaction score
Hi, I have been reported to trading standards by a customer with an eye complaint after I applied individual lashes. A patch test was performed 48 hours before the treatment and I have written confirmation from her that there was no adverse reaction.

I applied the lashes and she was happy with the result. 48 hours later she came in to my salon unannounced and was upset and crying and showed me 1 of her eyes which was a little red and swollen. I tried to remove the lashes but as I had another client I was unable to remove them on the spot. I advised her to rub baby oil in to them to help loosen them. To me it looked like conjunctivitis and advised her to go to the doctor. She was very aggressive and insisted it was something I had done wrong. She only has the redness in 1 eye.

She then went to another salon to have them removed and they told her in their opinion it looked like the glue had been applied excessively. I am fully qualified and have been doing lashes for 5 years on a daily basis with no complaints until now.

Can anyone advise if I am liable or if there is anything I can do to prepare prior to trading standards visiting me ? I feel 100% it is nothing I have done wrong and I am sure it is a medical condition or a problem she has from applying or removing her contact lenses. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA
Heather.

First and foremost don't panic - I know its easy for me to say but you have done nothing wrong. You have well documented record cards, you performed patch test and the service correctly. It's clearly something she has done afterwards, and who knows if the other salon actually said that or if she's just latched on to something they said about 'it can happen if too much adhesive has been used' which isn't the same as saying you did.

Your first call is to your insurance company just to let them know, then to be honest it's just a case of wait until they contact you. Try not to work yourself up unnecessarily. Trading Standards will want to see your records and salon just to check you are not some unqualified tech performing treatment unhygenically, etc. which is clear to see is not the case.

First and foremost don't panic - I know its easy for me to say but you have done nothing wrong. You have well documented record cards, you performed patch test and the service correctly. It's clearly something she has done afterwards, and who knows if the other salon actually said that or if she's just latched on to something they said about 'it can happen if too much adhesive has been used' which isn't the same as saying you did.

Your first call is to your insurance company just to let them know, then to be honest it's just a case of wait until they contact you. Try not to work yourself up unnecessarily. Trading Standards will want to see your records and salon just to check you are not some unqualified tech performing treatment unhygenically, etc. which is clear to see is not the case.

Thanks for the reply, I'm sure it's something thats happened afterwards too. Just a bit worried as trading standards were quite rude over the phone and wanted to visit me same day !

Thanks for the reply, I'm sure it's something thats happened afterwards too. Just a bit worried as trading standards were quite rude over the phone and wanted to visit me same day !

Perhaps they were busy, being harrassed by someone else in the office, who knows. Try not to consider yourself guilty of something you haven't even been accused of yet. I'd rather they came sooner than later so don't miss read their urgency as something sinister.

Latest posts

Back