Researching local competition

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauren.

Reaction score
Hi, Ive been researching my local area to find how many nail techs are working locally, so far ive found 2 salons offering beauty/tanning and nails and 1 nail bar (i think this is a NSS), I think there may be a couple more also. I would just like to know if this seems like too much competition. I moved here a couple of years ago and all my old clients are 20 miles away - i have contacted some of them and they are willing to let me practice on them (they live near my mum and i visit her regularly) but i am having to start from scratch in this area and it scares me a bit.

I am definately going to go for it regardless of the competition but I would love to hear from others regarding their opinions on this.

p.s. I trained with CND and will be using their products - the 3 above salons all use different systems - I think this may be a plus for me???

Thanks in advance

Lauren.x.

Competition of other salons!!!!! I really think it is a state of mind. Competition is great it does not allow you to get complacent. Find your point of difference (you are using CND, the product range has so much to offer), build on your nail/ehancement skills, find out what your potential clients really want and offer the epitome of service.

I to moved, 500km away and new absolutely nobody. My heart raced with excitement (ok anxiety as well - a little bit of adrenaline never killed anyone), I didn't get too wrapped up in what the other nail tech's were offering - off course I still kept one eye open:green:, but really concentrated on my own back door.

I believe "plan your work and work your plan", adjustments can always be made along the way. I took 3 months to build up a solid clientelle, I worked hard at it, always answering the phone, educating my clients on nailcare, and putting in the extra mile to build relationships. :hug:

A wise person once told me about the 4 D's to succeed.
"Dedication, Desire, Determination, Discipline"

All the best in your new town and trust this helps
Andrea:)

i have just opened my own salon along with a parnter, there must be around 30 + salons in our town - does that bother us - NO WAY - we know we are good, we offer the best services (as far as we are concerned) and we are very competitive.
dont worry about what everyone else is doing flower - concentrate on what YOU are doing. SPn01 gave you some great advice there too flower,

"Dedication, Desire, Determination, Discipline" -

its down to you to make YOU work, and stop worrying about everyone else - otherwise youve lost before you even start

x

I think competition is healthy - it keep you on your toes and you do the best set of nails you can every time. It works for me.
Sally X

Thank you for replies, i feel much more inspired now. I just sometimes feel a little bit panicky as i plan to leave my full time job for this change in career - something i should have done in 2002 when i first qualified but didn't have the guts. When i think about not having to go back to my job and being able to do nails as a career I get butterflies!! ive just got to make this work and im gonna give it my best shot.xx

I think researching the competition is helpful b/c you know who is out there and what they offer. You can then figure out what types of things you offer that they don't. I posted this thread the other day b/c at first I thought I was doomed to fail b/c of competition until I realised I have certain things to offer that the others don't:
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/91234-inspired.html

I have 4 odd nail bars in a shopping mall to compete with - no appointment necessary. One lady 10mins walk away who does bio-gel, another lady maybe 6 streets away from me who does manicures/pedicures/nail enhancements and other beauty things like waxing, and another beauty therapist who does manicures/pedicures/massages/waxing - but not nails enhancements. So I've researched others in my area to find out our differences and I focus on what I have to offer that they don't.

I always think about something the Dalai Lama says: "There is enough in the universe for ALL of us".

Latest posts

Back