Resignation Letter

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobl55

Reaction score
Hi

This doesn't apply to hair/beauty but just wanted to hear peoples opinions.

My friend is wanting to resign from her job as a receptionist/admin, due to favouritsm and being bullied by an older member of staff and not been able to register a formal complaint as she gets told to stop being immature.

She has stuck it out for 18 months now (two others have come and gone, due to the same reasons) and has got very stressed about it and triggered off her epilepsey again (after not having a fit for several years!)

She is wondering how you would word a resignation letter without mentioning the other member of staff as she feels her manager will not accept it (she is up the rear of the bully!!)

Thanks for any replies :) xx

Before she hands in her notice, gas she took advice from citizens advice or similar?? She may have a case for constructive dismissal (this is assuming it is as black and white as you say). I think it May help to get some extra advice x

Her manager won't have any reason not to accept it, if someone wants to resign no one can stop it.

If it were me I would give it to them straight, why wouldn't you, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks if you are leaving?

I've told her to contact CA and maybe she could take them to a tribunal. She's just scared of them giving her a bad reference because thats the last thing she wants, she's only 20!

It is pretty much that back and white!! Money and her dinner has gone missing out of her handbag in the locked staff cupboard (theres 3 keys-her, the bully and the cleaner), just a coincidence that the cleaner wasn't in (and bully smelt like a cheesy banana!) so obvious who it was but manager has put them all under suspicion!

It's a bent company with bent management. She tried going higher than her manager to file a formal complaint but they wouldn't accept it which is why she's worried they won't accept her resignation.

She hasn't got a job to go into but she's fed up and it's making her ill!!xx

It's illegal to give a bad reference, if they did your friend could take them to court over it.

I would say to get her to look at her contract and see what procedures it has to raise a grievance. If they don't take her seriously then get her to get some legal advice as that is definitely constructive dismissal if she leaves.

Get her to have a look at this
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/employment/redundancyandleavingyourjob/dismissal/dg_10026696

Rhiannon x

Rhiannon is right, you can refuse to give a reference but not give a bad one.

However id say your friend is unlikely to WANT to use them for a reference after this anyway.

A resignation letter doesnt have to be fancy.

Dear XYZ,

Please accept this as my one months/one weeks *whatever applies to her* notice of resignation. I expect all moneys owing to me for remaining holiday to be paid following my resignation.

Kind regards,
Bla bla

I thought they weren't allowed to give a bad reference.

I'll tell her to have a read of it. Yeah..i think if they don't let her hand it in i'll be dragging her to CA myself! I'm fed up of hearing about it every day!!

I'll get her to have a look...thank you :) xx

Rhiannon is right, you can refuse to give a reference but not give a bad one.

However id say your friend is unlikely to WANT to use them for a reference after this anyway.

A resignation letter doesnt have to be fancy.

Dear XYZ,

Please accept this as my one months/one weeks *whatever applies to her* notice of resignation. I expect all moneys owing to me for remaining holiday to be paid following my resignation.

Kind regards,
Bla bla

She doesn't even get dinner breaks (or her own dinner!) let alone holidays and paid holidays!! Very bent!!xx

I thought they weren't allowed to give a bad reference.

I'll tell her to have a read of it. Yeah..i think if they don't let her hand it in i'll be dragging her to CA myself! I'm fed up of hearing about it every day!!

I'll get her to have a look...thank you :) xx

She'll have a better case if she follows the grievance procedure and they don't take her seriously.

I did contract law at college, and I've been through a similar situation so feel free to pick my brain if you need to.

Rhiannon x

She doesn't even get dinner breaks (or her own dinner!) let alone holidays and paid holidays!! Very bent!!xx

Sorry couldn't ignore this. She definitely needs to seek legal advice. It's illegal to not give staff breaks if over a certain amount of hours are worked (it's either 4 or 6 can't remember off the top of my head).

Part of constructive dismissal is the employer seriously breaching the contract, get her to look over the whole of her contract and see what it says about holidays/holiday pay and this will give her an even stronger case against her employer.

Rhiannon x

Sorry couldn't ignore this. She definitely needs to seek legal advice. It's illegal to not give staff breaks if over a certain amount of hours are worked (it's either 4 or 6 can't remember off the top of my head).

Part of constructive dismissal is the employer seriously breaching the contract, get her to look over the whole of her contract and see what it says about holidays/holiday pay and this will give her an even stronger case against her employer.

Rhiannon x

I know..she just can't be bothered fighting them and just wants to get out of there! Her manager took the bully out on a 2 n half hour pub lunch today, she didn't get a break 8-4.30 So she told her manager that she is taking an hour tomorrow wether she likes it or not. Now shes decided to resign shes trying to get a bit tough with them xx

Last edited:
I know..she just can't be bothered fighting them and just wants to get out of there! Her manager took the bully out on a 2 n half hour pub lunch today, Alanna didn't get a break 8-4.30 So she told her manager that she is taking an hour tomorrow wether she likes it or not. Now shes decided to resign shes trying to get a bit tough with them xx

8 and half hours without a break! That's awful! She's doing the right thing, it might be an idea that she writes a little diary of things that are said/done during her notice period.

I do feel for her, I was bullied at an old job and made to feel that I could no longer work there and in the end after me trying to arrange meetings with the owner I resigned. I later on found out that the bully had stolen from the till several times and did a runner.

Rhiannon x

OK... you're not going to like this... but...

Tell her to hand in her notice and walk away - winning a constructive dismissal claim is hard. It's going to be "he said, she said" and unless there is hard evidence in the form of emails or witness statements then you are likely to loose (well your friend is) - you can give a factual reference, which if it's bad then it's bad but it MUST be factual... That means technically the reference could be "x left after 12 months whilst under an internal investigation" - no lies have been told, she WAS under investigation (as were another 2 people) and it states nothing about if she was found guilty or innocent. However it would be seen as a bad reference by a new employer... (you don't even wanna know what my references would look like after raising 5 grievances against a line manager, a line director, another manager and the company and winning 4 of them... let's just say any reference I might get would probably be dipped in acid ;) )

What she (in my view) needs to do is write a letter of resignation, keep her head down and don't make waves and get the heck out as soon as she has found something else (it's easier to find a job when you're already working...) - don't try to make a point, sorry but it's really not worth it unless she can prove the bullying (guess what 2 of my grievances were about ;) One was upheld, one was not - and it was months of evidence gathering and saving emails...)

Yeah thats what she's going to do! She is taking in a hand written and typed resignation letter tomorrow and is going to tell her manager that she is resigning and would she like it written or typed.

Poor girl was in tears and ended up with a nosebleed today after being shouted at by her manager for being grassed up for something she didn't even do!

She is going on holiday mid June so at least she can finish the week before she goes and not have to worry about going back in to that horrible place!!xx

Wow I really feel for your friend, I worked for a company that treated me like this, admittedly no where near as bad but enough to drag me down. The advice everyone has given is great. I actually walked out and left them right in it as I just had enough so the fact your friend is sticking it out is amazing.

I hope everything works out for her, im a form believer in what goes around comes around and she will be fine xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Hi. I agree with the above, constructive dismissal is hard to carry out and even if she is successful it could majorly impact her in regards to health etc. my dad was in a similar situation but he'd been with the company about 10 years before they changed hands and the grief commenced.

In her letter make sure she writes the following: how much notice she's giving, what her last working day will be, today's date etc

She doesn't have to give a reason even if they ask her she can just say personal reasons :) good luck to her x

Hmm I would normally say fight it out what disgusting treatment ! But they have abvolusly worn your friend out and bullied he's so much she has no confidence or will power left

Sorry had not finished ! Why does she feel the need to go back ? Just send them a letter don't think it will make much difference to her reference.
i never take too much notice of a bad ref cos its normally sour grapes.my 2 girls would of received very bad references if I had rang previous employer.3 of them walked out on same day says it all to me. ( even tho you are not allowed to give a bad reference ! )
Leave them to it, find your self a nice job :)

Latest posts

Back