Resin and glue - what's the difference??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nail Chick

Reaction score
I'm a bit baffled - are Resin and Glue the same product?? I asked someone at the wholesalers who seemed to think they were, but reading through some threads I'm now not sure. Can anyone help?

I 'believe" that the difference lies in the viscosity?
Although, I could be wrong.
However, with my dist, they tell me the same thing "they are both glue"

sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Wheres Ruth or Geeg when you need them! These are the ladies in the know when it comes to Fabric/silk/fibreglass.
I know with the Fabric system you can use the resins as glue due to the ingredients (I hope Ive got this right, if not, anyone feel free to correct me)
I think bond is like solar speed
build is like solar seal
and boost is like gel bond.
Sorry I cant be of more help

VHunter is exactly right...

Most adhesives used in the nail industry are cyanoacrylates...the ones with the thinner viscosities are referred to as glue, and the ones that are of a thicker viscosity are referred to as resin. It is actually up to the company marketing each particular one to "name" it and refer to it as they see fit.

Thanks girls. So, the two are pretty much interchangeable in terms of glueing on tips and using as extra strength over "weekenders"?

I think one of the main differences is that glue is normally made from animals and resin isn't. My trainer would go nuts if we referred to resin as glue!

betsy@nailite said:
VHunter is exactly right...

Most adhesives used in the nail industry are cyanoacrylates...the ones with the thinner viscosities are referred to as glue, and the ones that are of a thicker viscosity are referred to as resin. It is actually up to the company marketing each particular one to "name" it and refer to it as they see fit.

Ya know what's really funny about this?
I know in the US and in the UK this is true.. but for some wacky reason, at my local dist's, the GLUE is thicker than the resin and the resin is thinner..
bizarre huh?

What can I tell ya, I live in Quebec. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The French here are all backwards :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sassy Hassy said:
I think one of the main differences is that glue is normally made from animals and resin isn't. My trainer would go nuts if we referred to resin as glue!
Very intresting i didnt know this xx

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"[/FONT]
Originally Posted by Sassy Hassy
I think one of the main differences is that glue is normally made from animals and resin isn't. My trainer would go nuts if we referred to resin as glue! [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"[/FONT]
NailsFrmHeaven said:
Very intresting i didnt know this xx
Me either...:irked:

I asked my whole saler which of the tip glues came with a brush and she said 'that would be the resin' and went on to explain that all the resins have a brush in them, which I find a lot less messy. She said thats the only difference. Anyway I use resin and have never had one come adrift.:)

I thought we used adhesives :eek:

Laura

Susie H said:
I asked my whole saler which of the tip glues came with a brush and she said 'that would be the resin' and went on to explain that all the resins have a brush in them, which I find a lot less messy. She said thats the only difference. Anyway I use resin and have never had one come adrift.:)

And YET some glues are sold with brushes as well DEPENDING where you shop. :green: (in fact, I have two DIFFERENT 'glues' in my desk that have brushes like resin.. "brush on pink gel" glue, and "brush on glue" by Nailite)

I guess the difference between the two will vary depending upon what YOUR distributor carries in so far as product lines.

but in the end, they are both glues and get things nice and stuck LOL
I guess that's all that's important.

Now.... if someone can tell me how to avoid occasionally getting stuck to clients when apply tips LOL (dont' you HATE when that happens? lol)

I think that they are both considered to be glues but on is thicker that the other one

Well you carry on using your glues made with animal products then!!!!!!!!!:grr: You only have to look the terminology up in the dictionary to tell you what the words mean.

scratchmyback said:
I thought we used adhesives :eek:

Laura

Using Creative you do use adhesive! Glue is made from animal deriviatives, adhesive isn't. Gelbond, for example, is a surgical grade adhesive.

did a quick search and found this written by Geeg...
Methylcynoacrylate adhesives, such as super glue and lock-tight etc, are industrial adhesives which are unrefined, attract moisture and break down in water, are carcinogenic, they yellow, and are not intended for use on either the human body or on porous surfaces. Take all that into consideration and you have an adhesive that is totally unsuitable for using in the nail industry or for 'nails-at-home DIY'.

Ethylcynoacrylate adhesives, such as hospital grade/pharmaceutical grade adhesives used by dentists and nail technicians etc, were developed to be used on the human body and porous surfaces. They are highly refined, far more stable in a moist environment, non-carcinogenic and non-yellowing. And of course they are more expensive! All Creative adhesives are pharmaceutical grade resins.
so, they're both cynoacrylates but used in different fields.
i know which one i choose and it isn't called glue!!!!

GLUE is an old-fashioned and non-professional term to use if you are a professional nail technician. Glue is made from animal proteins and not used in the nail industry at all.

Ethylcynoacrylate adhesives are what we use in the nail industry and they are chemical adhesives and do not contain any animal products.

EC Resins are also Ethylcynoacrylate but are not exactly the same formulation as adhesives although they can be used interchangeably if wanted. Resins have added chemicals that increase the flexibility of the product. They are not the same but 'almost'.

geeg said:
GLUE is an old-fashioned and non-professional term to use if you are a professional nail technician. Glue is made from animal proteins and not used in the nail industry at all.

Ethylcynoacrylate adhesives are what we use in the nail industry and they are chemical adhesives and do not contain any animal products.

EC Resins are also Ethylcynoacrylate but are not exactly the same formulation as adhesives although they can be used interchangeably if wanted. Resins have added chemicals that increase the flexibility of the product. They are not the same but 'almost'.

Yup, I knew the difference.
What I find amusing: my local dist uses the term 'glue' when it's not a glue.
Well, I'm figuring something got lost in 'translation' quite literally. I live in Montreal Quebec and we have to have bilingual labels here and very OFTEN things are not translated appropriately.

Now,what I do wonder is this: do some dist's use the term glue so that some people are not confused when it's actually an adhesive? You see 'Nail glue" sold in pharmacies and beautystores. IS it a glue or really an adhesive? Something to ponder.

VHunter said:
Now,what I do wonder is this: do some dist's use the term glue so that some people are not confused when it's actually an adhesive? You see 'Nail glue" sold in pharmacies and beautystores. IS it a glue or really an adhesive? Something to ponder.

I don't care - I'm really anal about terminology, and if I were a distributor I would want to educate my customers to use the correct terms not encourage them to use the wrong ones. It's like the cuticle/eponychium thing with clients - if we never correct anyone calling it 'my cuticle' how will we ever influence the terminology used?

Sorry if this sounds aggressive I don't mean it to be - but it's one of my bugbears!

VHunter said:
You see 'Nail glue" sold in pharmacies and beautystores. IS it a glue or really an adhesive? Something to ponder.
Joe Public call it glue because they're not the professionals, being as we are the professionals it's only right that we call it by it's correct name.

the same goes for those who call liquid and powder 'acrylic', all 3 systems are acrylic based so this only goes to confuse people even more, if the correct terminology is used, ie L+P, then no more confusion.

that's my take on it anyway :wink2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back