Resistant hair not covering

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake nattrass hair

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a client in who always has wella 55/0 Koleston Perfect on her roots 6% and left on 45 mins with a head cap on to keep the heat trapped. However it is just not covering her more prominent greys on the top of hair parting. I mix the colour thick and measure my peroxide, should I start adding a touch of 44/0 into my mix for a darker pigment coverage? I’m stuck! Coloured her hair just over a week ago and it’s just washed out of the roots! Thankyou

Attachments

• 749ABD5E-528E-4786-B990-E494C0B3FF5E.jpeg
    749ABD5E-528E-4786-B990-E494C0B3FF5E.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 133
Maybe add 5/00 as it's for resistant greys. Failing that I would pre soften. I have to do this on my nan as she has stubborn greys haha

I have this problem with wella to, i was told by wella the 5/00 isnt for resistant the 5/00 is, but im having same problem the xp bases are good

I thought the 55/0 was for stronger coverage than 5/0?

ID 5/0 with 2:1 colour with 9% peroxide covers well , or you could try mixing some 44/0 in there
Maybe leave the cap off and let it process more naturally? It can help with lifting , maybe not so good with depositing ?

Hi everyone. I have a client in who always has wella 55/0 Koleston Perfect on her roots 6% and left on 45 mins with a head cap on to keep the heat trapped. However it is just not covering her more prominent greys on the top of hair parting. I mix the colour thick and measure my peroxide, should I start adding a touch of 44/0 into my mix for a darker pigment coverage? I’m stuck! Coloured her hair just over a week ago and it’s just washed out of the roots! Thankyou
I know this sounds bonkers, but have you tried 5/0? I one client who has resistant hair and i get a better grey covergae with 5/0 rather than 55/0. Also make sure she washes her hair the day before. When you apply her root colour make sure you're using a firm brush to almost stab the hair, and also apply the colour to both sides of the section

I will give the 5/0 a shot, i rang wella helpline and they advised me to leave the colour on without a cap to let the oxygen get to it, I always thought a cap would trap the heat and make the colour grab better?

I will give the 5/0 a shot, i rang wella helpline and they advised me to leave the colour on without a cap to let the oxygen get to it, I always thought a cap would trap the heat and make the colour grab better?
I understand where you're coming from, but I suppose the colour works by oxidation, if you restrict the amount of oxygen during the process , it wont oxidise fully which in turn, you wouldn't get complete coverage.

I just soften with 6% in the area's that are resistant, takes 2 mins and always covers

Do you apply 6% neat into the stubborn areas then go over with your colour? Never softened hair before.

Do you apply 6% neat into the stubborn areas then go over with your colour? Never softened hair before.
Yes, then use an hairdryer for 30 seconds or so. It won't dry completely but the heat helps open the cuticle

Does 6% cream peroxide work?

Maybe add 5/00 as it's for resistant greys. Failing that I would pre soften. I have to do this on my nan as she has stubborn greys haha
5/00 is extra warm natural it's not for resistant white hair, that's what 55/0 is for.

5/00 is to be used with the golds or vibrant reds but still covering white hair. You can use it instead of 5/0, it helps cover the hair more but keep the warmth and vibrancy.

I would try saturating with your 55/0 and 6% don't cover and leave on for longer making sure you start where it's most resistant

I often think people get the /00s confused with loreal. Majirel 5/00 is equivalent to wellas 55/0 for resistant. Wellas /00s are more natural and are not for resistant hair.

Try Loreal cool colour coverage. I find them soooo good at covering grey!

Or, pre soften and put under heat for 10 minutes before colouring.
x

55/0 is for resistant hair

To me it even looks like the natural hair isn’t dark

Are you mixing 40ml- 60ml of colour?
Are you using Welloxon Perfect 6% developer?
Are you weighing the colour on a 1:1 mixing ratio?
Is the hair free from build up and washed a day or two before?
Are you taking fine neat sections?
Are you reapplying after and making sure the colour is applied thickly?
Are you developing 45 mins?

I have to say in 20 years of hairdressing I’ve never pre softened anything or done anything to manipulate formulas for white coverage.

Currently I use Wella and all my clients cover with /0 and I have one intense natural client.

Peroxide to pre soften is acidic and closes the cuticle - if you want to open the cuticle then a deep cleanse shampoo would do that

Eek sorry I use L'Oréal mainly. In that case I'd pre soften and if that doesn't work add some 44/0 x

Hydrogen peroxide opens the cuticle, not closes it....?

To pre soften, we use 6% hydrogen peroxide in liquid form. (although many hairdressers will use cream peroxide we 'shouldn't really do this' although it will work in the same way, just doesn't dry into the hair as easy)

Hydrogen peroxide opens the cuticle, not closes it....?

To pre soften, we use 6% hydrogen peroxide in liquid form. (although many hairdressers will use cream peroxide we 'shouldn't really do this' although it will work in the same way, just doesn't dry into the hair as easy)

Hydrogen peroxide is acidic - tint is alkaline

When you mix you get a more neutral balance for scalp comfort.

Acidic products close the cuticle so in theory this doesn’t worry.

I don’t believe any manufacturer recommends pre softening?

Some recommend applying neat tint to resistant areas (as it’s alkaline so opens the cuticle) but this is a Wella recommendation with the intense naturals.

Latest posts

Back