Resistant hair!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah v-r

Reaction score
Hi! Just wondering if anyone can help me.. I’ve been struggling with one of my clients hair, I’ve been doing her hair for about 5 years and never had a problem with how her colour takes. I have always used 15mls 8nn and 15mls 8gb with 6%. She is 100% White naturally and have never had a problem with the coverage.. up until now. It literally doesn’t take, her hair is so resistant. I have also tried wella 88/0 and 8/03 to see if maybe this would take and it hasn’t. Has anyone tried the new @ colours? I’m wondering if I would get more coverage with the 8n@gb? Also worth mentioning I have also tried pre softening and this didn’t work either. Any help and advise would be much appreciated, thanks, Sarah x

Hi! Just wondering if anyone can help me.. I’ve been struggling with one of my clients hair, I’ve been doing her hair for about 5 years and never had a problem with how her colour takes. I have always used 15mls 8nn and 15mls 8gb with 6%. She is 100% White naturally and have never had a problem with the coverage.. up until now. It literally doesn’t take, her hair is so resistant. I have also tried wella 88/0 and 8/03 to see if maybe this would take and it hasn’t. Has anyone tried the new @ colours? I’m wondering if I would get more coverage with the 8n@gb? Also worth mentioning I have also tried pre softening and this didn’t work either. Any help and advise would be much appreciated, thanks, Sarah x
What products/shampoos is she using? Could anything be creating a barrier? Also root cover up products create a barrier

Add more base x

As you’ve already changed your formula and pre-softened, I agree with @ronray and that it’s likely the hair is coated with something. If she’s using products containing certain silicones, they do tend to build up over time and you’d need to use a good quality chelating shampoo to remove them. (Not a clarifying shampoo)
Ask her to bring in everything she uses on her hair and read through the ingredients. Anything ending in ‘...one’ could be the culprit. The silicones used in salon brand products are water soluble but the cheaper brands sometimes contain more industrial strength fillers. They do make the hair feel soft to touch so the client thinks their hair is in great condition but they mask the damage underneath.

What’s your colour mixing ratio? I would try 1-1 mixing ratio and drop your peroxide levels. Does it not change colour at all? Or would it be more translucent?

Also, have you checked if she’s recently had a general anaesthetic or on new medication as both can affect the hair and cause problems. With a general anaesthetic, the effects usually wear off after a few weeks.

Sorry it’s taken so long to reply..

I’ve asked her wether she’s on any new meds etc and she said she isn’t, she also told me the shampoos/conditioners she’s using currently, she’s been using the same for years as she feels it suits her scalp. I will however get her to bring them in as suggested as may have possibly changed something within the formula of said shampoos and conditioners. It looks like the colour is taking when developing and wet but as soon as i start drying it, there is no colour at all it just looks much ashier like her hair is completely rejecting the golden tones. It’s so baffling, I’ve been a hair dresser for 12 years and I have never experienced anything like this before!

Sorry it’s taken so long to reply..

I’ve asked her wether she’s on any new meds etc and she said she isn’t, she also told me the shampoos/conditioners she’s using currently, she’s been using the same for years as she feels it suits her scalp. I will however get her to bring them in as suggested as may have possibly changed something within the formula of said shampoos and conditioners. It looks like the colour is taking when developing and wet but as soon as i start drying it, there is no colour at all it just looks much ashier like her hair is completely rejecting the golden tones. It’s so baffling, I’ve been a hair dresser for 12 years and I have never experienced anything like this before!
Have you tried cleansing the hair first with a clarifying shampoo? It could be hormonal? Could possibly be something in the oils her scalp is producing? Just trying to think out of the box

Is your developer new? Had a dodgy 20vol recently same kind of issues you had
Tried a new bottle of 20vol different brand and it covered perfectly
Sometimes the suppliers and their “stock rotation” are a concern - well here in Australia the heat is a big issue with developers in a warehouse

Latest posts

Back