Resumes and cover letters?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reide

Still in Training
Reaction score
Hello lads and lasses. Where I live has been in lockdown for quite sometime. I was thinking of reworking my resume and would love to know if anyone here has some advice about what they would look for in a resume. I've heard a lot of people say a port folio shouln't be included but rather shown in the interveiw and others say "Well actually it's a good idea on showing your work on the resume.

I've also have been considereing removing any job I have that is non relevent to hair. I'd love some advice from employers and managers about what makes a resume stand out and what makes you want to ignore a resume.

Hi Reide, these are my personal opinions: I would keep the resume short and sweet. One page only. A lot of employers tend to not look past the first page.

Also make sure your resume is clean/neat, as in appealing to the eye and has NO spelling/grammar errors. Have another person look at it to check for errors. Sometimes when we look at the same document over and over, we don't see the errors. It has happened to me.

I would only list jobs that pertain to the job you are applying for.

An outstanding resume will get you an interview. That's when you bring in your portfolio to showcase your talent.

Best of luck! :)

Agree with @deanosnana about the spelling and grammar.

Regarding non-hairdressing jobs. I’d be wary of leaving gaps in your employment history but perhaps cover the dates with a generic description such as:

2017-2020. Stylist, Fabulous Salon and include a brief description of duties, including any areas where you had responsibility such as opening up, stock checking and re-ordering etc.

2016-2017 Retail Positions with Sam’s Supplies & Forest Flowers
2014-2016 Junior stylist, MegaSalon
2010-2014 Administration (FilesRus)
2009-2010. Volunteer at animal shelter.
etc......

I used to receive a lot of applications for jobs and something well set out, straightforward and easy to read is better than quirky and weird, because you only spend the briefest of time scanning over them and dumping into a Maybe or a NO pile initially. There are always people applying jobs with zero relevant experience or qualifications so you need to sift these out first.

When you have your Maybe pile, then you’ll look at them in more detail. Unfortunately, people recruiting aren’t always very good at it and may have inbuilt prejudices so if you leave a gap in your history, they might assume you were doing nothing.

Best of luck! 👍

Latest posts

Back