Retail Point of Sale Displays - How important are they?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retail Display Units - are they any good? (you can tick more than one)

• I don't see the need and wouldn't want one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it just takes up room in my salon

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • No opinion it came with the products

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I expect one from a reputable company

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • It is fantastic and has helped to increase my retail sales

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters

jo-from-moorspa

Reaction score
With a retail tester stand and demonstrating the products at work as well,increased retail sales are phenomenal.

I also expect a reputable company to provide one wethrer it be a small one promoting a particular treatment or larger for more treatments.

Tester stands are a talking point and are integral in helping the salon owner to succeed and not be afraid to retail.:)

I don't think I have ever seen a skincare retail display stand in a salon, only tester stands and then there own units which they use to display products.

Do you have an example as I honestly can't recall seeing any before.

if the company has a retail tester stand these are definitley very eye catching, can normally be placed anywhere as they are fairly slim etc, and therefore encourages clients to buy things. As for retail products, i don't think it matters if it is a company stand or ikea etc as you put it, its the way you display them that matters.as bmbini has said, i don't think i have seen retail dispaly stands, only in hairdressing, where they are quite popular.
Hths x

Although this looks v professional imo it is the way in which they are displayed, and not necessarily the display stand, that catches the eye.I should imagine these are also fairly expensive, and this will obviously reflect in the treatment prices etc.
Also, from experience, mor clients buy products when they are also displaed in the treatment rooms, and you wouldnt be able to fit/afford one of these in each one.jmo.
xx

Although this looks v professional imo it is the way in which they are displayed, and not necessarily the display stand, that catches the eye.I should imagine these are also fairly expensive, and this will obviously reflect in the treatment prices etc.
Also, from experience, mor clients buy products when they are also displaed in the treatment rooms, and you wouldnt be able to fit/afford one of these in each one.jmo.
xx
Thank you very much for your comments Eager Beaver. I had imagined that stand and retail products to be in the reception area rather than the treatment area, but I can completely understand what you are saying (you might have just made a girl at a display company unhappy).
As for cost we were looking to supply them with stock on a consignment basis when a salon takes the facial starter pack on the understanding that there is a minimum monthly spend of about £90. Our idea was to enable a low cost but complete start up. I understand that no-one would purchase them separately.
I do also agree that the products would have to be properly displayed on the stand to achieve maximum impact, which would hopefully lead to greater sales.
Would it be acceptable to have tester products on the stand with retail products?
jo
Beauty products | Beauty Therapy | Professional Treatments | Beauty Supplies- Moorspa.co.uk

I have seen this in a few salons and it works well, as they can manipulate the products and see the real thing behind them.the only concern is keeping an eye on stock, which doesnt always happen (but obviously should).
The system you are proposing sounds very good, £90 a month is VERY reasonable, and i wasnt suggesting that the stands werent a good idea,just that it can be costly.A stand like this in reception would be a nce focus, and as said previously, promotes a professional image. Smaller wall displays work well in the treatment rooms. Do you offer small tester units?(like the little counter top ones that pytomer, gatineau, dermalogica etc do? these would look good on the retail display stand.
Never an intention to upset anyone!:hug:
xx

Hi Eager Beaver
Thank you for your reply. Do you mean keep an eye on the stock from a theft point of view?
I think the smaller display in the treatment rooms is a fantastic idea, especially for after treatment facial packs.
I am pleased that you feel the display looks professional.
At the moment we do not do the counter top (or plinth) displays for testers like the ones you mentioned. It is something we are considering doing, I am just trying to find the best way. Maybe an idea could be if a tester unit could be attached to the display stand but also have the flexibilty to be a stand alone unit too (sorry just thinking outloud).
Don't worry you did not offend me at all, it is the person who I am about to order the displays stands off who might be upset. But then if better ideas are incorperated into the stand then there should be increased demand, which means I will buy more stands off her.
Jo
Beauty products | Beauty Therapy | Professional Treatments | Beauty Supplies- Moorspa.co.uk

yes, from a theft point of view.i know its a horrible way to look at but unfortunately there are those out there who have nifty fingers. i was just thinking about people milling around the display when testers are on there, but thats the salons perogative, the concept itself is great.
The tester unit atteched with stand alone option is good idea, tester stands with space for tissues (so clients can wipe off the products, such as cleansers/masks), can also be useful.
Good luck with your ideas xx

As for cost we were looking to supply them with stock on a consignment basis when a salon takes the facial starter pack on the understanding that there is a minimum monthly spend of about £90. Beauty products | Beauty Therapy | Professional Treatments | Beauty Supplies- Moorspa.co.uk

I hope I have read the above right .....

From a personal point of view as a small business £90 a month sounds like quite a lot and a bit on the lines that Mary Kay Cosmetics works which is what swayed me away from using them because you had to purchase XXX amount of products per month.

I personally like to buy as and when I am ready and not told how much I should spend and when.

Sorry though this didin't anwer your original question and yes, I do think that sample displays help to retail products. It is a very eye catching display and one which would make me stop and take a better look or if in a window would make me want to go in and try.

I think the display looks lovely and is very eye catching, so that would obviously promote interest.
I think the consignment idea is good, but I think it impotant to have options. ie different sized displays, options for tester displays.

I hope I have read the above right .....

From a personal point of view as a small business £90 a month sounds like quite a lot and a bit on the lines that Mary Kay Cosmetics works which is what swayed me away from using them because you had to purchase XXX amount of products per month.

I personally like to buy as and when I am ready and not told how much I should spend and when.

Sorry though this didin't anwer your original question and yes, I do think that sample displays help to retail products. It is a very eye catching display and one which would make me stop and take a better look or if in a window would make me want to go in and try.

Hi Joe90

Thank you for your comments. We are looking at different options regarding the supply of the display stand and products. We do understand that not everyone likes a monthly minimum purchase and some people don't like to pay large start ups.
The idea we are looking at is to lend a salon about £900 of retail stock and the display stand when they purchase the facial treatment products. Then the salon commits to us for a year and £90 a month (I think we will say that there can be 2 months in the year that you can miss - probably the first 2 as it takes a while to build interest).
Obviously you could just buy the retail stock out right and have no minimum spend.
We are just trying to put together a complete package of facial treatment products, retail sales products with stand and testers for an initial outlay of less than £1000 (my brain is starting to hurt from all the maths i have done in the last couple of month on this).
My hope is that the £90 would be used to replace stock that you have sold to your clients and not to fill your stock room :).
Jo

I think the display looks lovely and is very eye catching, so that would obviously promote interest.
I think the consignment idea is good, but I think it impotant to have options. ie different sized displays, options for tester displays.
Hi Beautynails
We are looking at 3 different size options. The one in the avatar is the medium one and should work well in medium sized salons.
I think we are going to have to push our plans for a dedicated tester stand forward.
jo

Hi Joe90

Thank you for your comments. We are looking at different options regarding the supply of the display stand and products. We do understand that not everyone likes a monthly minimum purchase and some people don't like to pay large start ups.
The idea we are looking at is to lend a salon about £900 of retail stock and the display stand when they purchase the facial treatment products. Then the salon commits to us for a year and £90 a month (I think we will say that there can be 2 months in the year that you can miss - probably the first 2 as it takes a while to build interest).
Obviously you could just buy the retail stock out right and have no minimum spend.
We are just trying to put together a complete package of facial treatment products, retail sales products with stand and testers for an initial outlay of less than £1000 (my brain is starting to hurt from all the maths i have done in the last couple of month on this).
My hope is that the £90 would be used to replace stock that you have sold to your clients and not to fill your stock room :).
Jo

Ahhhh, all is clear now Jo, I didn't mean to sound horrid or anything. Having now read your explanation on this, it sounds ok, however for me at this time in my business I just could not afford £90 per month on top of a facial package, but thanks for clarifying.

I did look at Moor Spa when I was choosing facial products as the lady I took over clients from when she emigrated used Moor Spa. The reason I didn't look any further was that when I asked for some samples all I got was brochures and I needed to touch, feel and use products before deciding.

Thanks again Jo.

Hi Joe90

Well I guess that is a big oops on our part by not sending you samples. Saying that we have really only had full size products available until reacently. Please let me know if you would still like to try some.
We now have small sizes which make up our after treatment bags and as of yesterday we have sachets.
In fact I even put a small product selector thing (please don't judge us on this I put it together yesterday) in our download section of our website so people can get sachets. So far i have learnt from the response that people like free sachets (i guess i am not going to win the Nobel Prize for Research for that gem).
We are considering sending 15ml (moisturisers) and 50ml (cleansers, toners) to salon enquiries rather than sachets as samples. Do you think this is a good idea?
Jo

Ok i have changed my avatar to a product display stand to give you an idea of what i mean.
jo

I see what you mean now ! lol

I think the design of it looks spot on and I wish that more brands had something like this. I think it would look perfect in the reception area of a salon and definetly increase sales.

However if I had to choose between a retail display stand or tester stand then I would choose the testers purely because they are smaller and the client would be able touch/sample the products. Unfortunatley I don't have room for a display stand but in a big salon I think it would look great.

Hi Joe90

Well I guess that is a big oops on our part by not sending you samples. Saying that we have really only had full size products available until reacently. Please let me know if you would still like to try some.
We now have small sizes which make up our after treatment bags and as of yesterday we have sachets.
In fact I even put a small product selector thing (please don't judge us on this I put it together yesterday) in our download section of our website so people can get sachets. So far i have learnt from the response that people like free sachets (i guess i am not going to win the Nobel Prize for Research for that gem).
We are considering sending 15ml (moisturisers) and 50ml (cleansers, toners) to salon enquiries rather than sachets as samples. Do you think this is a good idea?
Jo

Hi Jo,
I think sending out larger samples to salons is a fantastic idea for salons. For me I like to try out skin care for a few days not just one, so that I can get a real feel for the products. With sachets you just don't get enough product.
It would be nice to try some Moor Spa though Jo thanks.

Just had my samples from Jo at Moor Spa and I am very impressed. Nice sized samples that I can try for a good while to see how my skin reacts to them. Thanks for a very professional response Jo.

I will give you a call in about a week once I have tested them.

The only problem I could forsee for me is if there is a minimum spend.

Latest posts

Back