Retail....tell don't sell

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeni Giles

Reaction score
A new year is upon us and we all want to make more money, lose weight, and spend less time at work. I can't help with the last two, but I can with the first. It is relatively painless and easy to do too!!! Sell retail. Wow, answered how to make more money with out spending more time in a two word sentence. To some of us selling retail is worse that having a tooth pulled to others, retail doesn't even get a passing thought because there is no way they are ever actually going to sell ANYTHING to ANYONE!!! But wait a minute, hold the train...they are already retailing...they are selling their time and skill. "Yeah, I went to school for that, I go to classes all the time" Ok put that skill to use.

Tell your clients about what you use, why you use it and why they should consider taking it home with them. Your opportunity begins the moment the client walks in. If you have a candle warming comment on the fragrance. When you take them to the sink to wash let them know what they are using and change it monthly so that they don't use the same product more than twice. If you use a hand sanitizer have some purse size ones available and set up at eye level when seated at the nail table. Use displays that are inviting to touch. Bright colors, materials and eye catching shelf talkers. (you can make your own shelf talkers or purchase them from your supplier, they are usually available with retail display packages, some manufacturers have them available for down load off their websites)

Rotate your retail stock at leat once a month. Move it around, put displays where people have to walk around them. Change the display about once a month, completely rearrange the items. This does two things, makes you more familiar with the items and makes your clients wonder if you have something new.

Don't sell yourself short. Use positive phrases about the features and benefits not "this is really expensive but it works" good grief, lye soap works too, but I don't want to use it!! Let the client know that you attend classes and keep up to date with product knowledge. When packaging changes, discount the old and get rid of it before bringing in new. Build up anticipation or presell items. If you know of a promotional item being offered by your distributor start talking about it before you can get it. Think about us, we all know that the Spring/Summer polish collections are going to be available soon and we've seen pictures, but we won't get them until May or June. Ours were ordered this month, knowing we won't have them until they come in to the warehouse. Clients will do the same thing. They want to be the first to have the "new" products.

Your retail display is a silent employee who never takes a day off, calls in sick or doesn't show up when they have a full appointment book. The display will stick by you through thick and thin and never gives up on an opportunity to go home with a client, it counts on you to make sure that it is neat, tidy and ready to go. It will go with anyone, a husband stopping to pick up a quick gift, a tired professional who wants a relaxing soak in a tub of scented water, a teenager who wants a little shimmer for a dance. It's up to you who the retail goes with, it just needs you to tell someone it's there.

Retail really is an opportunity to tell your clients about products that will support and enhance the service you provide to them the benefit of retail is an increased pocket book for you, now go try it, sell some retail!!!!

Thanks Jeni just what i needed a kick up the rear end.
x

Thanks for the great advicexxxxxxxxxx:hug:

Latest posts

Back