Retailing Acetone to Clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katieA

Reaction score
does anybody retail acetone to their clients to soak their nails off at home inbetween services? is their any legal or insurance reason you should not do this? xx

I only retail nail enamel remover.

IMO, you should be offering the service for removal. Clients get in such a mess when they do this themselves then generally come back moaning about the state of their nail plates and blaming it on the tech!

The removal of enhancements is a professional service.

There was a post about this not that long ago and I think Geeg mentioned something like clients heating the acetone in a microwave! Things can clearly go wrong!

HTHs

Lucy Jayne is right. You should not be selling acetone to your clients. Removal is a professional service.

One silly nail tech told her client that if the acetone was warm it would remove her enhancements faster. The client thought .. I'll warm it in the microwave ... it immediately exploded and her kitchen was burnt out and she could have lost her whole house and family!!

Clients who do DIY also tend to dispose of Acetone incorrectly and pour it down the drain and into OUR water system!! How irresponsible is that?

Another story is about a lady who was sold Acetone by her silly nail technician and poured it out down the sink and melted her plastic sink!! Then she sued the nail tech for the cost of a new sink and installation work.

Do you want to run these risks? Are you going to tell your clients about every hazard that could befall them?? Do you even KNOW of every hazard that could befall them?

Professionals should not be aiding their clients to DIY at home. That is not professional behaviour.

No way, NEVER

Acetone is a professional product that should be used by professional people only.

Those that are passionate about having enhancements and look after them will not queery having to pay for them professionaly removing IMO

A lady phoned work a few days ago asking if we sold it. When I said no, but we could do it for her she said. "I'm not paying that, I can get acetone down the chemist for £1". I did try to tell her but she was an ..... erm,..... 'head strong' client.

I'm going to be a proper geek now, typing off of my MSDS sheet for Product Remover (Acetone Solution)

- For Professional Use Only
- Classed as hazardous substance AND as dangerous goods to the classification criteria of NOHSC.

- Use in a well ventilated location.

- Extremely flammable

- Effects of Exposure
Ingestion: Gastrointestinal irritation and central nervous system depressant (although you'd like to think nobody would ingest it!)
Eyes: Mild to moderate irritant
Skin: Potential skin sensitizer
Inhalation: Central nervous system depressand, irritating to the upper respiratory tract.

I know it's a bit dramatic me putting this up, but I suppose it goes without saying that it doesn't sound great, does it?! I'd rather not be liable for passing this stuff onto my clients. And I'd be happier knowing that I'm controling the use and disposal of it in my salon.

some of my clients also remove their own product between services. but i have NEVER sold them acetone. they purchase it at the pharmacy. also, i don't really have the time to soak off for them, so mostly i'm grateful if they do it themselves. i've never actively DIScouraged it. is that irresponsible?

some of my clients also remove their own product between services. but i have NEVER sold them acetone. they purchase it at the pharmacy. also, i don't really have the time to soak off for them, so mostly i'm grateful if they do it themselves. i've never actively DIScouraged it. is that irresponsible?

I believe in professional services. Some clients will do what they want, but they seldom do it twice as they usually get into a right mess doing it.

Time shouldn't be a problem. The client does not sit at my desk while I twiddle my fingers! I put them to one side about 30 minutes before I have finished a service on someone else and by the time I am finished, they are ready .. so it really doesn't interfere with my time and I get paid for the service and the client gets the job done properly.

I believe in professional services. Some clients will do what they want, but they seldom do it twice as they usually get into a right mess doing it.

Time shouldn't be a problem. The client does not sit at my desk while I twiddle my fingers! I put them to one side about 30 minutes before I have finished a service on someone else and by the time I am finished, they are ready .. so it really doesn't interfere with my time and I get paid for the service and the client gets the job done properly.
what do you do if you only book out enough time for a rebalance and when your client arrives they want a soak off and a new full set

what do you do if you only book out enough time for a rebalance and when your client arrives they want a soak off and a new full set

First of all, I'd try and work our beforehand what the client is likely to want to be having done for their next appointment - stating the obvious I know but sometimes people just presume.

If you've only got enough time to do the rebalance, then that's all that you can offer!...... Especially if the client has agreed to having that service done at the time the appointment was made.

I don't understand why some people keep having a soak of and new set. It's clearly more expensive for them to do so (a good thing to point out), and I thought the whole point of having enhancements was to regularly maintain them so they always look the same whilst protecting the health of your natural nails?

HTHs

No i would never sell them this product imagine what disasters could happen! :eek: I would prefer to book them in and be paid for doing what is a professional service, this should be included in our pricelists

Then you do the soak off and then book a new time for the full set.

Clients need to be trained that if they want more than they booked for they can't have it.

Imagine going into a hairdresser for a wash and blow dry and then saying you want a cut and colour as well ... they'd just say sorry .. no can do.

hmmm. . . geeg, wish i had the space to do that. sadly, i have to have my salon at the office (otherwise i wouldn't have time to do it all) so my room has a nail station on one side and an office desk on the other! the only place to put them would be at my desk, but that always has confidential information on it, so i can't.
but yes, i concede that the professional way to do it is to soak off at the salon.

I have a couple (2) clients who soak off themselves,
I also have had clients turn up with half mushed nails tin foil everywhere...
Saying they thought they would do me a "favour" by soaking off themselves...
I really don't know why they think this,
I have had people tell me they sat there for 2 hours trying to soak off then they ask how come I can do it..when they can't ....erm....I am trained to do so lol !

I once had a young girl knock ( 14 or 15 ish)
To ask if I could give her "some of that stuff you use to get the nails off"
I told her I wouldnt do that...But if she wanted to pay me to soak them off I would be happy to,
She said her usual tech did (not sure if i belived this though tbh)

She tried and tried to get me to agree used the well I was going to soak them off and then come to you in future ....whatever !!!

I kept up with the NO no no nooooooo....

Then came in and wiped the word MUG of my head...:lol:

I wouldnt sell acetone to a client I wouldnt want to encourage them to do self removal...their natural nails are my income....I dont want them to ruin it lol...
However If I do have a client who insists on self removal then after several appointments when I realise nothing I say is going to make them pay the extra £6.50 lol then i will advise them on how to do it safely

I do not encourage self removal at all. This is not helped by the fact that the lady who rented the room before me used to hand out product remover for her clients to do their own, she would never do a soak off in the salon (a waste of time apparently). So, I turn up and start telling people that this is a professional service, and as you can imagine, it doesnt go down well!!

My prices are not discouraging, for a client having another set applied I only charge £5 for a soak off (£15 for soak off & mini mani), acetone at the chemist is £3 apparently according to one of my clients, but she still preferred to save £2 by doing it herself.

Ultimately, I will tell my clients that its a professional service, they sign a clieint record card to that effect, I will not consider selling remover to my clients, but if they choose to go and buy the stuff elsewhere there's nothing I can do about it. Having said that, if someone came to me with their nails in a right old state having tried to soak their own off, I would charge them extra to rectify the problem

Those that are passionate about having enhancements and look after them will not queery having to pay for them professionaly removing IMO

Very true!:)

I noticed in Superdrug the other day they sell enhancement removers called "get 'em off", was very surprised!:eek:

I wouldnt sell acetone either to any of my customers.
I also always ask every new customer that is booked in for a new set if they are planning to continue or if it is a set for a one time special occasion. If it,s a one time deal i always mention that they shouldnt try to remove the enhancements themselves but come back for a soak off so their natural nails don,t get wrecked.

I really get enoyed when new people come in and say : oh my nails looked sooooooo horrible after they were removed, and they blame everything on the previous technician. But then i ask did you remove them yourself??? and moste just => :o
Then they get a bit quiet and then they loosen up and start to explain that really hurted and it was so stuck

Latest posts

Back