Retailing - being honest or telling them what they want to hear?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Louise~

Reaction score
Hi geeks - would appreciate it if you could help me in this...

I'm a MUA & a retail cosmetics also - I'm always honest with people when they ask me my opinion, they way I look at it, when they buy from me they are getting advice from a professional MUA & that's part of the service...

However, I have realised that people don't always like to hear the truth - and its costing me sales! :suprised: I don't mean I'm being nasty or anything, simple things like trying to convince people to buy the right shade of foundation & not one that is 10 shades too dark for them! I don't really push the issue but I will say something like "Its totally up to you but my opinion is that you should pick ***** shade" - then they either get embarrassed & don't want to buy the darker shade in front of me so they tell me they'll think about it, and never come back, or they are offended that I have matched them up with such a shade! :suprised:

Obviously I want the sales but I don't want people thinking I don't have a clue by selling make up that is wrong for that person - how do you strike the correct balance?

I think you are totally right to do what you are doing. Fair enough money is money but honesty to me means so much more. I would feel so guilty if I misold something to someone. When they puck their shade, why not say something like. 'Why don't you take a look at this one, I think it would compliment your skin perfectly' At the end of the day though if they don't want to take your professional opinion then let them take what they think is best. It's not like you can refuse to sell it to them x

I would say continue to offer your professional opinion. If they then want to ignore your advice and choose to be tangoed, well, what can you do?!

I think your approach is correct however it may well be your delivery needs tweaking. Explain that over time skin tone can change and it is worth having a professional consultation from time to time - that means that you are not saying their choices have been wrong but maybe time to update. Put the two shades together and explain why your selection is more flattering. Without being too sugary always find ways to compliment your client and make them feel good so they can can take that away with them when purchasing your cosmetics.

Hiya,
These ladies might come back yet.
You have given them info to consider.
I used to wear a couple shades to dark and it took me a while to tone it down!
Now they will look at other people and be thinking about it more and hopefully come back. You could offer a bronzer to add on when they need to bronze up for a night out or boost lol

I've just spent a year working on a counter for Clarins and would come across this daily :)

What I used to do was get them to concentrate on how the colour would blend naturally along the jaw line and into the neck, and then warm the shade of foundation by also applying bronzer and blusher for them to show that they could still acheive the shade they wanted but by using different products.

9 times out of 10 this would result in the sale of not only a foundation but the bronzer and blush also, and another person persueded not to wear orange foundation :)

Definitely maximise your sales by demonstrating on them how foundation gives the flawless canvas, onto which you add the colour.

Oh I do despise when people WANT to look orange.

I agree you are doing the right thing, it is better for somebody not to buy because they dont like a truthful opinion than to buy based on a marketing based lie. If they buy because you went for the easy sale, they may realise and never come back because you advice is no good. At least if they know you are truthful they are more likely to come back to you for more good advice :) :hug:

Latest posts

Back