Retailing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marie111

Reaction score
Do any of you leave your clients little goody bags when you have a new client?
I always leave my clients a file which I have used on them and only them and buffer. (I buy cheaper ones for this purpose) That way I know they aren't going to get the nail clippers or metal files out.
I have often thought of buying some small glass bottles and putting small amounts of cuticle oil in to leave for them to use.
Although you ask clients to use certain things some never do simply because they won't buy them, whereas this way they would already have them and hopefully purchase full size ones next time.
Does anyone do this? If so what do you leave them?
On the question of retailing what products do you sell the most of?
Marie

Hi Marie

All of my new Nail Extension clients get a "goodie bag" this includes Cuticle Oil (Pinkie Solar Oil in my case), i show them how to use the oil and also explain that this bottle if used how ive explained will last them 2 weeks, they all love it on their next apt buy the bigger bottles ! my aftercare leaflet and usually one or two leaflets such as Scentsations range and maybe pedicure or manicure information (i do go through the aftercare throughout their service and then show them what is in the bag, especially aftercare leaflet and point out to them to take a few minutes to read through it !!

All other new clients for other services also get the "goodie bag" and maybe a little scentsations lotion

They'll all have my business card apart from 1 client, all my clients book their next apt before leaving - fab eh !! was worried re this bit that they wouldn't !

hope this helps.

kx

marie111 said:
Do any of you leave your clients little goody bags when you have a new client?
I always leave my clients a file which I have used on them and only them and buffer. (I buy cheaper ones for this purpose) That way I know they aren't going to get the nail clippers or metal files out.
I have often thought of buying some small glass bottles and putting small amounts of cuticle oil in to leave for them to use.
Although you ask clients to use certain things some never do simply because they won't buy them, whereas this way they would already have them and hopefully purchase full size ones next time.
Does anyone do this? If so what do you leave them?
On the question of retailing what products do you sell the most of?
Marie

what a fabulous idea i had never thought of this!

I'm gunna start doing it!!!!!!!!!

Hi

In my salon which is hair and beauty, we do what we call 'new client bags' for the hair side it contains some samples of shampoo and conditioner that is prescibed for their scalp or hair type, a hair price list and a beauty one and product information leaflets, on the nail side for new nail clients they get product information leaflets, pricelists, and aftercare leaflets.

We usually retail them a homecare pack which contains a buffer, mini solar oil, top coat and polish remover. We do the packs at a discounted rate so they are saving money and thats what they like.

We get them when they repurchase!! :lol: which they usually do!

:o afraid i don't give away anything!

We don't give away any "freebies" in our spa, sadly, that is not up to me. I manage the department, but I still have to follow a protocol, and sadly that protocol says that the client has to pay for everything!! LOL!! On the upside, we do sell A LOT of retail products. It's a spa, so there's skincare stuff, bath and body products, and toooooons of candles!! For nails, OPI and Essie polishes sell like hot cakes. Also, Seche Vite Top coat, Sticky, Solar Oil, Avojuice, NailTek strengtheners, Nail Envy, and various foot care products by Gena. We also sell some Qtica products. I love retail! It's fun to purchase new and fun things. When a product doesn't sell, we mark it down 50%, to get rid of it, and buy newer, different things.

I'm mobile so I find it much harder to retail items, however, I do give each new customer a pinkie solar oil.

I love the freebie idea - call it an aftercare pack, if you like. I think as a customer it would make me feel a bit special. Everyone likes something for free, and if you feel like you're being pampered, all the better. I think it could also encourage people to buy things more, as you'd be won over by the product itself rather than feeling pressured into buying because that's the only way you can get the aftercare products you need.
I think it could be a good idea also as it makes the customer feel like you value their aftercare and are still looking after them even once they've stepped out the door, which is a nice image to project.
A problem for me would be that I've picked Pinnacle as my manicure brand - I just loooove that Kiwi & Hemp smell :D. They only do a salon size or retail size cuticle oil though - does anyone know a supplier who maybe sells little dropper bottles that could be used for freebies of the oil..?
Lol x

Hi girls...this is definately a very good idea and I will probably take this up in my salon....the thing I'd like to ask is what sort of prices do you charge for the nail enhancements?

In the area I'm in it ranges from about£20-£30+ for a set of scultured acrylics - I would offer all my clients free repairs (as long as they don't take the micky and come back in for a whole new set every time), and I don't charge for repairs when they come back in for their rebalances. I also polish their nails with the colour of their choice and do not charge for this.

Are there any other special services that anyone offers to their regular client? For example a discount on a new full set of nails enhancements for a regular client, or a free soak off when a regular client wants a new set of nails etc...

Hi Tisha

I personally do not offer any free replacements within my maintenance charges. I have heard from other nail technicians that sometimes clients will come back with that number of free replacements needing doing ! To date i do not have breakages ! apart from one of my brides who decided to play tennis with a corsage in the car park at midnight, hopelessly under the influence !!

I charge for polish too ! though included within my manicure and pedicure menu's

I have been offering my clients the opportunity of having one finger (usually ring finger) "flowered up" (see glorsclaws / shropshire dawn for their dried real flowers) this has gone down extremely well and most now are coming back and then paying for the same again or trying out glitter tips etc so this has more than paid for itself and of course i can guarantee you if you see anyone in hampshire with flowers on their ring fingers they are probably mine ! lol all my clients have now had them, fab for advertising at their work places for me !

give a little get a lot back - works well for me. Id rather do this than reduce my services or products

hope this helps

kx

Tisha said:
Hi girls...this is definately a very good idea and I will probably take this up in my salon....the thing I'd like to ask is what sort of prices do you charge for the nail enhancements?

In the area I'm in it ranges from about£20-£30+ for a set of scultured acrylics - I would offer all my clients free repairs (as long as they don't take the micky and come back in for a whole new set every time), and I don't charge for repairs when they come back in for their rebalances. I also polish their nails with the colour of their choice and do not charge for this.

Are there any other special services that anyone offers to their regular client? For example a discount on a new full set of nails enhancements for a regular client, or a free soak off when a regular client wants a new set of nails etc...

Hi Karen,

I know what you mean....at the salon we always get clients coming back in needing repairs during their rebalance appointments...I mean not many of mine do but the other girls....especially one in particular...almost all her client always come back needing more than one repair!

For example, one client who was booked in for a re-varnish came with three nails off...so within the £4 they charge for a re-varnish, I had to do her 3 new nails. Apparently she never comes for infills/rebalance - just comes in for her re-varnish and the odd repair - which she gets free of charge.

Obviously because I am working ther (on a self-employed basis), I have to sort of follow their ways....and in a way I agree that I shouldn't charge a client if after 2/3 days she has had a mishap and one of her nails came off because of the car-door or something. Then I would probably do the repair for her free. But I don't really know what to do about free repairs all the time for existing custmers.

Like I said, I am going to open my own salon soon so I am just in the process of working out how I'm going to operate. I have also thought about offering a free flower - to build interest and hopefully get all my clients hooked - although I must admit they aren't too adventurous - unfortuantey for me as I am a nail art freak!!!!

Anyway...any more help on this matter would be appreciated - there's so many of you geeks who are much more experienced than me....

I don't understand why any salon would not charge for breakages. Presuming the breakage is not the fault of the technician, why would you replace it free of charge? If you buy 10 glasses from Safeways and you break one a few days later will they replace it? Don't think so! Surely this practice is likely to make your clients less careful.

There are a number of salons in my area and I am not aware of any that charge less than £3 per new nail.

On the goodie bag idea, I do this at Christmas for all my regular clients and I did it when I first started. I am able to get hold of sample sizes of the skin care range I use. It really boosts after Christmas sales. I pick up little bargains all year round to make the bags up.

In my salon I guarantee all my work for seven days from origanal service after that its up to them i have only had one client abuse this and i gladly gave her a refund.She is now someone else's client as for pinkie solar oil i sell that to my clients and offer to refill at a cheaper price when needed.I also use Creative Scentsations on them at end of service they ask what that is and i usually end up selling them a bottle before they leave.

We have After Care booklets for those who use CND - they have just been produced, are handbag friendly and very nifty! :D

The coolest is the retail brochure! This is specifiaclly to help YOU sell more retail to your customers; if you are shy about selling, this is something that your clients can sit and look through and then you can answer any questions on the products for them - also this will help you 'shy' ones to be less shy!! There is also a colour chart in there and an RRP! They come in pacs of 50 and we have had a fabulous response! My bro did the brochure itself and GMG did the nails! I think it is a very valuable sales tool for our customers!

This really sounds like and sales pitch and I was not meaning it to be - just excited because we have been working on it for sometime and it's going to be a BIG source of income for teks who are shy to push enamels, treatments etc - for those that are good at selling - hopefully this will boost sales even more! :biggrin:

ooh when did these come out, i havent seen em at leeds, mind you i am usually gazing at the polishes lol , i will have to get some of them coz i just cant retail i am rubbish at it :D

HI Glynis....I agree with you...it doen't make sense to keep offering free repairs and most salons here don't offer this, it's just the salon I work at at the moment that have this policy....and yes it probably makes client more carefree with their nails...not to mention cuaseing damage to their nails by not taking care of their enhancements.

I think I would charge for repairs if they have had a breakage after 1 week.

Good idea about the Christmas goodie bags Glynis...what kind of things do you put in? I'm hoping to have my salon running by end-October so I have plenty of scope for business during Diwali, Eid and Christmas (as there is a large Asian population around my area)....thing is I'm a bit of a newbie at this so is there anything especially Christmassy you put in the goodie bag or is it just a standard goodie bag that you could offer any time of the year?
I'm thinking of doing some goodie bags for when I start and am hoping there will be some good deals I can get my hands on at the GMEX show in October!

Mrs Geek said:
The coolest is the retail brochure! This is specifiaclly to help YOU sell more retail to your customers; if you are shy about selling, this is something that your clients can sit and look through and then you can answer any questions on the products for them - also this will help you 'shy' ones to be less shy!! There is also a colour chart in there and an RRP!

that is a v cool idea :cool:
im thinking that one day...... when i have my v own salon i mite have to look into doing something like that
a fab idea to incorporate into a price list and after care leaflet too

Jess
xox

Sparklepink said:
that is a v cool idea :cool:
im thinking that one day...... when i have my v own salon i mite have to look into doing something like that
a fab idea to incorporate into a price list and after care leaflet too

Jess
xox
Hi Jess - hope you are well - lovely to see you in the mag!! It has been something that marketing were working on and it took ages but I have to say the results from our customers customers (if that makes sense) is working - they browse, ask, look, try and buy!!! Suddenly a full-set at £35.00 becomes £55.00 with extra retail! Imagine that on 6/7 clients a day - 5 days a week!! Certainly worth thinking about!! ;)

We have After Care booklets for those who use CND - they have just been produced, are handbag friendly and very nifty! :D

The coolest is the retail brochure! This is specifiaclly to help YOU sell more retail to your customers; if you are shy about selling, this is something that your clients can sit and look through and then you can answer any questions on the products for them - also this will help you 'shy' ones to be less shy!! There is also a colour chart in there and an RRP! They come in pacs of 50 and we have had a fabulous response! My bro did the brochure itself and GMG did the nails! I think it is a very valuable sales tool for our customers!

This really sounds like and sales pitch and I was not meaning it to be - just excited because we have been working on it for sometime and it's going to be a BIG source of income for teks who are shy to push enamels, treatments etc - for those that are good at selling - hopefully this will boost sales even more! :biggrin:

Hey, I wonder if you wouldnt mind telling me if this booklet is still available? many thanks

Hey, I wonder if you wouldnt mind telling me if this booklet is still available? many thanks

Hi LoveBeauty1 wow you resurrected a 2004 thread!!! Wicked!! And yes we do although they are updated now!! :Kissing:

Love the sound of the retail book, can they be ordered on your website, will it be including the new vinylux polishes?

Latest posts

Back