retired lady wanting gel enhancements,what should I do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meggie

Reaction score
Hi Geeks!
I have a retired client who I am going to this afternoon who saw her grandaughters gel nail enhancements and fancied some for herself! I am not being ageist or anything like that but it quite surprised me that she was interested in gel, she is quite and old fashioned lady and I suppose looks a bit older than her years if anything. The other thing that bothered me was the fact that her nails are very weak, and I dont want to get a gel set put on, only for her to realise that she cant cope with them and then have to buff them off. I have talked her into a couple of manicures first to get her nails in slightly better condidtion. What would you geeks do? Thanks.
Meggie x

I have several retired ladies who love wearing enhancements. So long as you make the length suitable to her lifestyle, she shouldn't have any problems. The only thing with elderly clients is that they are usually on medication so need more maintenance than younger, healthier clients.

how about a gel nno? her nails may be weak due to her age, hair weakens so i presume nails do too, iv not had a senior client, the gel overlay will protect her weak nails...

As long as she has healthy natural nails,i can see no reason as to why you could not apply a set of enhancements.

If she dislikes them she won't be the first to remove them and probably not the last.

As long as you do a thourough consultation ,i think you will be fine.

Although this lady is elderly she has seen your work and wants in on the action lol,so where's the problem hun ?

I think you'll find lots of geeks have some elderly clients. My oldest is in her 80's.
I would just let her know that she may have problems because they are weak, keep them short & have her come back soon for you to check them.
My advise when doing older clients is to be very careful doing cuticle work because the skin is usually very thin & fragile.

hello!, my gran who's 75 and all her mates who are the same age or older from the WRVS have got l&p or gel on!!! i've got my own little gang of wrinklies!!! lol!!! each set is different tho, some have got nno some have got tips, so long as you figure which type of enhancment is going to suit them it'll be fine. i've found they don't need filling as often cos older clients tend to look after their nails better and they don't tend to grow as much. i found that nno's suited my gran's best bud better, she's had very soft, weak nails all her life, that have never been past the tips of her fingers, so i did nno's and let her own nails grow to get the length so it wasn't too much of a shock. i also try and make the edge of the tips slightly thinner than i normally do to give a more natural look cos some of my older ladies have tried enhancements before and hated them cos they were so much thicker than their own nails.

I have a regular client who is nearly 70, she has her fortnightly appointment without fail and now enjoys a spray tan once a fortnight too. I say if there are no complications then enhance away!

Hi there. My oldest client is 78 and she is amazing. She has l&p and comes every 3 weeks. She never gets any problems. The only thing I do though is not to do her enhancements very long so she can cope OK.

All I can say is age is NOT a contraindication!

Just to add I too have an older lady who I do gel on and she loves them. I kept the nails quite short and she is probaly one of my most loyal clients. She has also just recommended me to her daughter and grandaughter. I say go for it!

Before my Grandma died she loved having her gel overlays!

She was quite old fashioned and over 80 years old and had brittle nails too.

There was nothing she loved more than sitting with me on a Friday night being pampered.

Just make sure she fully understands what's involved i.e. maintenance and appointments for infills.

The client that I often use as a model for my CND classes is nearly 70 and she wears enhancements and they look fine she also really looks after them well. Age is just a number not a frame of mind.

some of our older folks are real darlings to work with.. not as fussy as the younger set, and if they are pleased they will always recommend you and will be very loyal to you. i love them they are so sweet, but then again i guess i just have a thing for the elderly some of them are so nice and soft and cuddly ( i am a strange one are'nt i) maybe its becasue i grew up knowing all my grans and great grans on both sides of the family:)

Why on earth can't she have gel?

I ONLY do UV Gel.
My clients are of all age groups.
Everyone is happy. Zero problems.
I have one that is in her late 70's even, we put natural tips and clear gel, then shape them almond-like. She ADORES them.
She prefers them to the p&w's she used to get because the gel is clear and she can see 'her' natural color of her nail bed right through (yes, I know there is clear acrylic, but her other 2 techs didn't seem inclined to let her know this or use it for whatever reason).
Right now she's growing them into nno's. She's as happy as a lark.

I can't think of anything age-specific that would prevent a more mature client from enjoying uv gel anymore than she should/could enjoy l&p, or wraps or whatever...
If there are contra-indications, then they are health related and not specific to age.

jmho

Sassy Hassy said:
All I can say is age is NOT a contraindication!
ditto

My eldest client is 80, she had L&P enhancments and is now on gel overlays.

A large number of older ladies tend to have very ridged nails and often they find this embarassing, especially if they always had lovely nails when they were younger, so it means a lot to them when you can make their nails look lovely again.

Latest posts

Back