Retraining as a hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil993

Reaction score
Hi, I was just looking for some advice so hoping someone can help me. Baisically I’m 25 now with you children and work part time as a medical secretary but went to retrain as a hairdresser.

Im judging through my research a level 2 course would be the best place to start in order to be able to work in a salon. Does anyone know of any part time/evening/weekend level 2 courses in or close to the Birmingham area that are available. I’m struggling to find part time/evening ones to be honest and I can’t afford not to work whilst I retrain or take a drop in wages by doing an apprenticeship with two children.

Any advice at all on any aspects of getting into hairdressing slightly later on or courses would be much appreciated.

TIA

Years ago a hairdressing apprenticeship took several years to complete and you’d be fairly experienced by the time you completed the standard hairdressing qualification, which was more like the level 2 and 3 courses combined.

Level 2 only gives you the basic training in cuts and colour and level 3 offers advanced haircutting techniques and basic colour correction. Level 4 is advanced colour correction. In addition, you will cover basic hair up, special occasion styling, perming and/or straightening.

Realistically, you’re unlikely to walk into paid salon work with just a level 2 qualification, unless you’re related to the owner!
Most salons will be looking for a junior stylist to have completed their level 3 or to have a few years experience under their belt so that they can work on paying clients straight away as you need to be able to cover your wage. That’s why a lot of newly qualified hairdressers work mobile building up a clientele of family and friends initially, to gain valuable experience.

You mention working part-time. Most full time courses aren’t really full-time in the sense of a 5 day week and some practical salon based sessions will be timetabled on certain days. If you have your basic English and Maths qualifications, you won’t need to re-do these so you could ask for exemption from those classes. You might be able to find a course whereby you can take daytime classes on particular days to learn the practical elements and maybe do most of your theory at home using some decent textbooks? I did a fast track course for my level 3 as my husband was about to start chemo and my lovely tutor allowed me to complete my course in 5 months by doing extra practical salon sessions when she was teaching other groups, so I could get signed off my units more quickly.

Good luck with your change of career. :)

thank you for your reply, it’s very much appreciated. I never knew it use to take years to train :eek: I’m hoping to do a level 2 and 3 and fit it in around work and kids somehow and then gain some experience once I’ve boosted my confidence

Hi- I am also retraining in hairdressing after children and am starting my level 2 in September at my local college. As an adult learner my course in funded and I am only required to be in college 12 hours per week. I fully intend to continue with my level 3 after however my main aim is to be mobile to work around children, and I am realistically thinking this will take several years of practice, some salon experience, and building up a client base. It maybe worth calling your local college and asking if the level 2 is fully funded and what hours you would be required to do as an adult. I am now looking into childcare options for my youngest and cant wait to get started. As my background is working with children, entertainment and special needs, I am hoping that this can become an area I can explore more as I gain experience . Good Luck!! I hope all works out for you :)

Latest posts

Back