Returning after very long break

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarwalls

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post ever on SG. I'm hoping for a little training advice. Over 20 years ago I trained as a nail tech. I loved working on nails on and my clients were loyal and happy. I did it mobile quite successfully, but only for a couple of years before I got side-tracked - I did a fine art degree, then had an office based career before having a family. I'm now a single parent, and after a long hard look at my situation and where to go from here I have decided I want to re-train and work as a nail tech again.

I've been googling what's going on in nails these days and what training's available, and have to admit to being a bit bewildered! It is important I do a course which will give me the best training available. I can't go back to college for months on end, but am ready to supplement salon/classroom training with working at home. I've only used acrylic tips as extensions but I want to learn about gels and gel sculpting, shellac, how to create amazing, robust white tips with gel. (Do people still want airbrushing?) I also need to know my clients' nails won't be damaged. I guess the same as you guys!

As it looks as though gel is the new way forward in extensions? I have been looking at the Bio Sculpture course because I like their nail health ideology and also that the gels can be soaked off. I was also looking at CND because I like their art nails and marketing, but I hear they're discontinuing the soak off sculpting gel (Brisa).

I wanted to offer a soak-off system because I think it must be better for the nail bed, and it's something the client can do at home if she wishes. What do you think?

Or is soak-off not so important?

I'm a bit confused, I just want to be able to offer a really top quality all-round, modern service and your advice on what training to invest in will be very much appreciated! I like to look after tricky clients too - nail biters etc - does gel work for those?

Many thanks in anticipation :)

Hi sugar walls :)
Well I only started in nails after I'd had my family, once they were both at school.

For what it's worth these are my thoughts based on my own clientele over the last 12 yrs

Firstly it's fantastic for working round a family but don't always be honest with your clients, some are insulted you'd rather go to your child's sports day than do their nails (!!) so I just book in bogus appts.

If you google training on here you'll find endless threads, look for an accredited course that will enable you to get insurance and good follow up service after the trainings over. And go for a well known brand.

Sculpting us up to you, I personally use tips for preference and have no shortage of clients for that, also most of my extension clients opt for acrylic over gel, but nice to do both as sometimes one will suit better than the other. I never get asked for airbrushing.

Shellac is a hybrid polish/gel and very gentle to nails, I do a lot of this but it doesn't offer the strength of acrylic/gel, however CND brisa lite is a soak off gel that can be used under shellac to add stability for a flimsy nail. Other brands are available (by the bucketload!) and I'm sure we all have our favourites. Not sure about discontinuing the brisa ... Hope not :(. There's also s smoothing gel.

Don't forget a client can always soak off acrylics. And yes I like products that soak off but with the exception of shellac etc you shouldn't be soaking off extension products every time. As you know lol

I offer: acrylic/gel extensions & overlays, shellac, Gellux, minx and in the way of nail art (since I'm not that arty) I offer stamping, Ombre and glitter with shellac (which you can also have over gel or acrylic )

Personally I'd never choose gel for a nail biter. Others may say different.

Good luck and welcome back into the industry xx

Hello Blossom,

Thanks and thank you for some really cool tips there! :) I'll certainly have a trawl through the training posts.

I've just got back from my nails done at a beauty salon - tips and polish. They're actually really terrible, uneven, bumpy, sent out while 3 layers of polish were still wet and have smudged them already! I'm very disappointed, but equally I'm even more excited about starting up again - If people are making money out of nails at this poor standard then I know there's room for me - I would never have let a client leave with nails this bad.

This is not the first time I've been shocked at how badly my nails have been done. I'm almost laughing at how bad they are!

xx

I trained with bio and loved them, once qualified I went to get my nails done at a spa to see what my competition was. I left with big blobs like jelly tots on my nails and I'd paid £40 I just had a colour over my natural nails, I must admit I felt a little more confident within myself after after having these nails done ! For one I would of never let a client leave with nails like I had on that day !

I am seriously considering the Bio course. I have just 3 extensions left now out of 10 and they're chipped lol.

2 days later!! Shocking. Are you going to go back to complain? X

I'm bio trained and love their products. I've recently invested in a hard gel (NCO London) and their gel polish for extension side of nails as I'm not a fan of acrylics. But it's what best suits you as well as you will be the one using these products daily. Welcome back and good luck with your search x

Latest posts

Back