Returning to hairdressing after a long break

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozboz26

Reaction score
I worked in a salon as a qualified stylist for several years then became a mobile hairdresser. I have been out of hairdressing, other than friends and family, for a few years now but I want to return as my full time career. I am quite old, 55 in fact and if I don't do it now I never will as I've been waiting for the right time for ages!
I'm fine with cutting but need to get up to date with colour techniques etc. However, I'm struggling to find refresher courses I can attend as I work (not hairdressing unfortunately) Monday to Thursday and as yet can't give this job up.
Has anyone got any suggestions as to how I can get up to date? I had thought of offering my services as a junior in return for some training. What do people think?
I am watching videos, reading, researching products and practicing on training heads.

It really depends on your starting point and whether it’s just honing existing colour skills or whether you really need a thorough refresh of your colour training inc. colour correction knowledge? Only you can know that.

Are you planning to start seeing clients during evenings and week-ends and gradually build up a clientele whilst still employed in your current job?
Presumably, you can book holiday leave from your job so use some of your leave to attend refresher training.
Otherwise, start by just offering cuts and look to book onto a decent refresher course when you can.

YouTube is pretty good but it’s no substitute for quality training, when it comes to learning tricky new techniques, such as balayage with bleach and tint.

Thanks for your reply AcidPerm.
I am hoping to build up a clientele by working weekends and evenings and holidays. However, I'm unable to book leave as I work in education so I am constantly looking for any courses which run during school breaks which so far are proving difficult to find.
I'll stick at it though!

I worked in a salon as a qualified stylist for several years then became a mobile hairdresser. I have been out of hairdressing, other than friends and family, for a few years now but I want to return as my full time career. I am quite old, 55 in fact and if I don't do it now I never will as I've been waiting for the right time for ages!
I'm fine with cutting but need to get up to date with colour techniques etc. However, I'm struggling to find refresher courses I can attend as I work (not hairdressing unfortunately) Monday to Thursday and as yet can't give this job up.
Has anyone got any suggestions as to how I can get up to date? I had thought of offering my services as a junior in return for some training. What do people think?
I am watching videos, reading, researching products and practicing on training heads.
Hi Ozboz26
I am reading your post and thinking that sounds like me!!! So I can relate as I am in the same position, but I did end up leaving education in Dec 19 to go mobile, I am looking for refresher courses also. At the moment I do not offer colour to all, only family/friends I have done for years. I would be interested also if anyone can recommend a good course. Good luck.

I did go on a short course for Kadus color at my local hair and beauty supplies. I loved it and have booked on a Wella short course during the holidays. Good luck to you too.

Sassoon Academy in London runs intensive short courses. I can personally recommend their ABC courses.
You will feel ready to tackle clients after attending one of their courses!
www.sassoon-academy.com
www.sassoon-academy.com

Latest posts

Back