Returning to mobile work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalalaurz

Reaction score
Just after some opinions on this, apologies if there’s already threads on it my WiFi is shocking and searching is taking forever!
I have no income without my hairdressing income and I am a single parent renting privately in a bloody expensive area! I have put it out there that I would be willing to do clients depending on their situation and obviously whilst doing it as safely as possible. I’ve had a few people say yes and a few no’s.
so the next issue is getting stock. The wholesale websites have a £20 min spend and £5 postage, plus obviously don’t have the money to buy more than I need. I’ve ordered a few bits off amazon which has been ok but they cost more and delivery times are unpredictable. on the whole, clients are understanding.
I haven’t actually done a client yet and still have reservations if I’m honest, just wanted other hairdressers experience and opinions! Obviously I don’t want negative comments I understand the current pandemic and am sensitive to it, however my personal situation means if I don’t work, I get by on about £200 a month universal credit after paying rent and mine and my sons phone bills. It’s a struggle I’m sure lots of you are familiar with!
Thanks guys xx

I appreciate that it’s really hard at the moment especially with not knowing exactly when you might be able to re-start your business. Could you apply for some hours in a supermarket or retail store in the short term instead?

Unfortunately, until the govt. says that Hairdressers can be open for business, you’re risking working uninsured and with the threat of being fined. I’m sure your clients will be thrilled to get their hair cut but you could easily get reported by a disgruntled neighbour who’s shielding. Also, don’t underestimate the numbers of carriers of the virus with no obvious symptoms. According to the Horizon tv programme i watched the other night, people are the most contagious in the first few days before the symptoms have properly developed, which is why it spreads so quickly.

This is a copy of the information from the FHA...

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
The FHA would like to make it clear that it is illegal for hairdressers to work during lockdown.

THIS IS A REPORT FROM THE HEALTH & SAFETY EXECUTIVE:
Mobile hairdressers, beauty practitioners etc would be classed as peripatetic workers and this cohort of the working population would fall to HSE for H&S enforcement of the Health & Safety at Work Act. Any concerns relating to the disregard of Public Health England social distancing measures should therefore be reported to HSE.

LOCKDOWN RESTRICTIONS
The lockdown restrictions are backed up by legislation (Health & Safety at Work Act) and there are fines. In England they’ve just been doubled, and increase for repeat offenders is to up to £3200.

If any FHA members are found to be ignoring the law, their membership will be immediately cancelled.

Thanks for the info, I’ll definitely read through it as I don’t want to get myself into trouble and obviously don’t want to put any of my ladies at risk. It’s just a nightmare

Also, nobody is supposed to be going into other peoples homes at the moment unless absolutely necessary & as AcidPerm said, you possibly won’t be insured (especially if you only have salon insurance) & will be fined if found out.
Not worth the risk, & the virus is still out there!

Hello we are all in a difficult postition but there is no point being in lockdown if we still do hair and beauty now we will have a secind lockdown!
Also the released the guidance of when we reopen and it says salons etc but it does say "no mobile" as you are in and out of peoples homes and have no control and advises no treatments near the face.
It means salons will be open before mobile therapists.
I know its tricky, would you be able to go rent a chair somewhere?

Hello we are all in a difficult postition but there is no point being in lockdown if we still do hair and beauty now we will have a secind lockdown!
Also the released the guidance of when we reopen and it says salons etc but it does say "no mobile" as you are in and out of peoples homes and have no control and advises no treatments near the face.
Can you point me to where it mentions no mobile & no treatments near the face please because I think I may have overlooked this?
I couldn’t rent anywhere as I have a lot of elderly or ill housebound clients so would lose a lot of custom so I really hope mobile isn’t excluded from returning to work

That article has been confused , I think what it means is that salon workers would not be insured to go into people’s homes to do their hair

That article has been confused , I think what it means is that salon workers would not be insured to go into people’s homes to do their hair
That’s what I heard too.

2m distancing is still in place so how are you going to not go within 2m of a client and do their hair? There are loads of places like supermarkets looking for staff at the moment if you are struggling for money and when you can safely go back to hairdressing you can leave

Hello sorry if i confused everybody[emoji37] it "advises" no treatments near face, i jist meant if you are doing this, your chances are higher and then you will jave to isolate yourself again, i just meant if you could temporarily offer nails etc instead.
Regarding Home appointments:

We strongly recommend that you do
not offer hairdressing, barbering or
beauty treatments to clients at their
home:
• Your salon/barbershop insurance will
not cover you.
• You will be breaking social
distancing rules and could be fined.
• You will be working in an
environment where you have no
control over safety or hygiene.